Quadio playback issue with Pyle PT694BT AVR and Sony UBP-X800M2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce00

QQ Supporter
Well........after many hrs last night trying to get this Sony UBP-X800M2 to play my new Disc and trying again when I got home this morning with again no luck.
Tried replacing the new HDMI cable with an old one, even tried all 3 HDMI inputs on the reciever.....Nothing but static.
Just before throwing up my hands in defeat getting some sound, I went and got an old Kid Rock cd out of the truck and presto...tunes in the house.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?????
Another thing this Sony front panel does light up?

Some AVR's can't handle direct DSD (SACD format) so knowing the receiver is important.

If it can't handle DSD direct, then @Bruce00, you can set your player to decode and send as PCM. It has to be PCM anyway if you want the receiver to use its room EQ system. Either the player can do the conversion to PCM or the receiver can.

Post your receiver mfg and model and we can go from there.

Since Sony invented SACD, their players should be trouble-free :) I normally use Oppo's but also use a $550 Sony UBP-X1100ES 4K player, no problems handling multichannel SACD although I haven't tried it with these discs.

Last edited:
Well........after many hrs last night trying to get this Sony UBP-X800M2 to play my new Disc and trying again when I got home this morning with again no luck.

Check the Sony output format. Maybe your receiver hates Dolby TrueHD.

Some AVR's can't handle direct DSD (SACD format) so knowing the receiver is important.

If it can't handle DSD direct, then @Bruce00, you can set your player to decode and send as PCM. It has to be PCM anyway if you want the receiver to use its room EQ system. Either the player can do the conversion to PCM or the receiver can.

Post your receiver mfg and model and we can go from there.
Pyle PT694BT....I got to be honest, everything you posted went right over my head, except asking what make and modelšŸ˜‚

sorry, forgot these were BD-A DTS-MA!! Dumb me, I had SACD on the brain. I'll check on the Pyle....

From the replies, Iam guess this receiver is out of its class
20230727_153550.jpg

AFAIK, these Rhino Quadios are DTS only, no Dolby TrueHD or DSD (SACD type) soundtracks.

I'm using a Sony BDP-S6700 Blu-ray player (very similar to the Sony UDP-X800) - works fine - my receiver decodes the DTS 4.0 and 2.0.

edit:
I'm using the RCA digital audio input, my old receiver doesn't have HDMI.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
It's a Pyle PT694BT
I bought it on close out to get me thru till my Sansui is refurbished
I don't think it supports Dolby or DTS of any kind. If you can, try selecting PCM for output on HDMI. If that doesn't work, you might get stereo over optical or coax.

I must say, I associate Pyle with car audio. I really can't tell much from their manual except there's conflicting information. Even the manual isn't very good, sorry.

It states:

"HDMI Version 1.4B. Support 3D 4K".

HDMI 1.4 can only play 4K 30 frames/sec video. It takes HDMI 2.0 to play 4K UHD video discs. If you stick a 4K disc in your Sony, all you'll get is a blank screen, green or pink screen screen.

On the music side, I can't say why it's not playing the DTS-MA audio. HDMI 1.4 was fully capable of playing multichannel 192 KHz audio.

I don't know how to say this but that Pyle is a pretty basic receiver. I'm going have to pass on helping you any further since I can't tell what it can do or not do.

If you want to look for an alternative, modern up-to-date receiver, one that can also play Dolby Atmos & DTS-X immersive audio, you can look at the usual suspects - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo. They all have models for every budget.

I am totally unfamiliar with a Pyle home receiver and the manual isn't much help since it's so basic.

Try changing Sony player HDMI output from Auto to PCM as I stated before. If that doesn't do it, then you can use optical/digital for the stereo only tracks on these discs, not the quad. Optical/dig can't play multichannel hi resolution quad & 5.1 tracks. It can play Dolby Digital and DTS but those are the compressed audio formats and not what's on these discs.

Wish I could have delved into the manual & the solution.

Last edited:
Tried replacing the new HDMI cable with an old one, even tried all 3 HDMI inputs on the reciever.....Nothing but static.
Just before throwing up my hands in defeat getting some sound, I went and got an old Kid Rock cd out of the truck and presto...tunes in the house.
I have both the Sony UBP-X800 and UBP-X800M2 and both play the Paranoid BD over HDMI into a Yamaha CX-A5200 A/V processor flawlessly. Neither Sony unit has a front panel display - just a small green power light on the upper right. I would make sure that you go through the audio and BD playback settings just to be sure you have enabled bitstream output - most of the settings can safely be left on Auto. Then during playback, press the display button on the Sony remote and your tv screen should show you the disc info you are playing. If it doesn't say DTS MA-HD 4.0 (or something similar) then your playback settings are not right. Similarly, your receiver should have a similar display option and should also indicate what type of signal is being received and decoded. If you don't see DTS MA-HD, or some indication of a bitstream multi-channel signal being decoded, then you definitely have setup problems - or possibly a malfunction. The Sony units are typically pretty reliable, but I have noticed that the UBP-X800 occasionally gets confused and will not play a disc properly. However, power cycling (actually unplugging and replugging in the unit) has always corrected this.

I must say, I associate Pyle with car audio. I really can't tell much from their manual except there's conflicting information. Even the manual isn't very good, sorry.

It states:

"HDMI Version 1.4B. Support 3D 4K".
HDMI 1.4 can only play 4K30 frames/sec video. While it takes HDMI 2.0 to play 4K UHD video discs. If you stick a 4K disc in your Sony, all you'll get is a blank screen, green or pink screen screen.

On the music side, I can't say why it's not playing DTS-MA audio.

I don't know how to say this but that Pyle is a pretty basic receiver. I'm going have to pass on helping since I can't tell what it can do or not do.

If you want to look for an alternative, modern up-to-date receiver, one that can also play Dolby Atmos & DTS-X immersive audio, look at the usual suspects - Denon, Marantz, Sony, Pioneer, Onkyo. They all have models for every budget :)

I am totally unfamiliar with a Pyle home receiver and the manual isn't much help since it's so basic.

Try changing Sony player HDMI output from Auto to PCM as I stated before. If that doesn't do it, then you can use optical/digital for the stereo only tracks on these discs, not the quad. Optical/dig can't play the quad tracks.
Thank you for trying to help. The biggest issue is I am not savy on electrical components. And yes, the manual is so basic! I looked mine over and never saw SACD mentioned.
I just got off the phone with customer service, but they answered by a name other than Pyle. Being 70 and hard of hearing, trying to understand someone speaking fast, in broken english is useless. She did say it was compatible.
But IDK....I hate spending big bucks on.. with a pending $2k refurbishing of my Quad unit. Iam guessing a trip to Best Buy/Walmart and find someone in electronics to led me.
I guess the Pyle can replace Alexa for music in the garage

It can play Dolby Digital and DTS but those are the compressed audio formats and not what's on these discs.

These Rhino Quadios use DTS-HD (original DTS + a separate data stream to make it lossless) for the quad and stereo content, older receivers decode the compressed/data reduced DTS.

Kirk Bayne

That is one of the oddities of this player:
It does not have a front display. I have and like the player but miss a display

I have both the Sony UBP-X800 and UBP-X800M2 and both play the Paranoid BD over HDMI into a Yamaha CX-A5200 A/V processor flawlessly. Neither Sony unit has a front panel display - just a small green power light on the upper right. I would make sure that you go through the audio and BD playback settings just to be sure you have enabled bitstream output - most of the settings can safely be left on Auto. Then during playback, press the display button on the Sony remote and your tv screen should show you the disc info you are playing. If it doesn't say DTS MA-HD 4.0 (or something similar) then your playback settings are not right. Similarly, your receiver should have a similar display option and should also indicate what type of signal is being received and decoded. If you don't see DTS MA-HD, or some indication of a bitstream multi-channel signal being decoded, then you definitely have setup problems - or possibly a malfunction. The Sony units are typically pretty reliable, but I have noticed that the UBP-X800 occasionally gets confused and will not play a disc properly. However, power cycling (actually unplugging and replugging in the unit) has always corrected this.
Thank you

Back