Rush "Signals" Dolby Atmos Mix! (Box Set Out in April!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I "hacked" Apple Music, technically not doing anything ilegal, but discovered that there's a student discount for half a price, and since I just finished my MBA I'm qualified for this price, as long as I still have access to the UNI email address. Apple will frequently confirm that, though I believe that the access is unlimited even once after graduating.

Be careful, as there are two mixes for Moving Pictures. The one with the updated front cover has got a better mix:
Has someone been able to confirm that there are 2 different Atmos mixes for Moving Pictures? I did a quick comparison of sections of various tracks and could discern no differences. Maybe because I added one of the mixes to my Library and that is overriding all other mixes?

Has someone been able to confirm that there are 2 different Atmos mixes for Moving Pictures? I did a quick comparison of sections of various tracks and could discern no differences. Maybe because I added one of the mixes to my Library and that is overriding all other mixes?

Playing Tom Sawyer now, from each version.

They are 2 different releases as one has live songs.

I cannot tell the mixes apart, as I've also sampled Vital Signs from both releases. Must be a subtle change then...

The version with the original cover definitely had a different mix when it first appeared on Apple Music around this time last year. The awful canned echo applied to "Tom Sawyer" is hard to forget.

It's possible that this alternate Atmos mix (which I think was upmixed from the 2011 5.1 mix) was pulled after the box set was released and now both versions are identical.

The version with the original cover definitely had a different mix when it first appeared on Apple Music around this time last year. The awful canned echo applied to "Tom Sawyer" is hard to forget.

It's possible that this alternate Atmos mix (which I think was upmixed from the 2011 5.1 mix) was pulled after the box set was released and now both versions are identical.
That makes sense, and I remember not liking that version, and was likely done as a first crack at mixing just Tom Sawyer and Limelight in Atmos back in 2021, and likely was revisited by Richard Chycki when they set out to do the 40th anniversary mix. But that initial bad version is no longer available on Apple Music, leaving only one Atmos version currently available on streaming, at least as far as I can tell.

That makes sense, and I remember not liking that version, and was likely done as a first crack at mixing just Tom Sawyer and Limelight in Atmos back in 2021, and likely was revisited by Richard Chycki when they set out to do the 40th anniversary mix. But that initial bad version is no longer available on Apple Music, leaving only one Atmos version currently available on streaming, at least as far as I can tell.
That's what I recall as well about the first version. Apparently I have both in my library, I'll check tomorrow if they are the same or not.
I wonder if Tidal's version is also the good one:
https://tidal.com/album/224207249

That's what I recall as well about the first version. Apparently I have both in my library, I'll check tomorrow if they are the same or not.
It sounded good to me when I checked it out a few weeks ago when someone mentioned there were two mixes. I isolated the four tops on Vital Signs, and they danced around nicely. Now if Tidal would add Signals...

I’m listening to this right now and it sounds great. I think Subdivisions has the alternate vocal take like the 5.1. But right now I’m listening to The Analog kid and I’m sure this one isn’t the alternate take in the 5.1 but it also seems slightly different to me than the normal take in the stereo mix. Maybe an alternate alternate take? Maybe it’s just the mix? Maybe I’m crazy? What I do know is I’m going to be doing a lot of comparing mixes of this album this week if I get a chance.

Now I can confirm that the two versions in Apple as well as Tidal's have got the same mix (I'm referring to Moving Pictures, of course). The old mix is gone, for good!

I’m have difficulty finding Signals and Moving Pictures in Atmos on Apple Music - only lossless. Any hints for me where to find them?
I checked with a Toronto friend and it seems that Signals is not available in Atmos in Canada.

As for Moving Pictures, I had listened to the Atmos a couple of weeks ago but it seemed to be gone. It looks like Apple tacked on the live (stereo) album to Moving Pictures, so it all shows as just Lossless. I added Moving Pictures to my Library then deleted the live tracks and now it shows as Atmos.

I've heard of CA getting Spatial Audio restrictions, previously. Seems to me it's for Canadian artists?
Maybe it's like blacking out sports events in localities. They want Canadians to cough up those loonies and toonies for the box set.

I've heard of CA getting Spatial Audio restrictions, previously. Seems to me it's for Canadian artists?
Maybe it's like blacking out sports events in localities. They want Canadians to cough up those loonies and toonies for the box set.
Is there actually a Signals box set available (other than your virtual one)?
I did recently buy the previous mix on Blu Ray before the new Atmos mix was revealed.

Now I can confirm that the two versions in Apple as well as Tidal's have got the same mix (I'm referring to Moving Pictures, of course). The old mix is gone, for good!
Which Atmos mix is on the Blu-ray?

Back