SACD's Survival

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mirrored storage using ZFS.

FLAC -t

(Not really taking sides here as someone who appreciates streaming A LOT but also buys discs all the time, just pointing out that there's some pretty solid storage tech out there.)
(A response to an older post, triggered by doing a backup of my music storage this morning.)

Mirrored or raided storage with ZFS is definitely the way to go. With ZFS any operation on a data file or a directory (renaming or moving files), be it read or write, occurs through an integrity check using the chain of checksums (CRCs actually) that were encoded in the file system data and metadata at the time of writing the file. So ZFS has the ability, and will tell you, if any “bit rot” has occurred, even when you just play one of your backup SACDs; if you have redundancy (mirror, or raid levels 1, 2, or even 3) ZFS will automatically fix the bit rot if possible.

I used to design, build, and operate very large (up to 1000 nodes) tightly clustered Linux clusters at a Department of Energy lab and also ran a parallel storage system (Lustre) that was over 1.5 petabytes by the time I retired. We used ZFS whenever possible, including as the underlying storage for the Lustre filesystem. Indispensable.

For my home storage (astrophotography, SACD/BD/DVD-A/DTS backups, movies) I use a pair of home-made ARM-based ZFS systems, one to back up the other.

(A response to an older post, triggered by doing a backup of my music storage this morning.)

Mirrored or raided storage with ZFS is definitely the way to go. With ZFS any operation on a data file or a directory (renaming or moving files), be it read or write, occurs through an integrity check using the chain of checksums (CRCs actually) that were encoded in the file system data and metadata at the time of writing the file. So ZFS has the ability, and will tell you, if any “bit rot” has occurred, even when you just play one of your backup SACDs; if you have redundancy (mirror, or raid levels 1, 2, or even 3) ZFS will automatically fix the bit rot if possible.

I used to design, build, and operate very large (up to 1000 nodes) tightly clustered Linux clusters at a Department of Energy lab and also ran a parallel storage system (Lustre) that was over 1.5 petabytes by the time I retired. We used ZFS whenever possible, including as the underlying storage for the Lustre filesystem. Indispensable.

For my home storage (astrophotography, SACD/BD/DVD-A/DTS backups, movies) I use a pair of home-made ARM-based ZFS systems, one to back up the other.
I need to have a better system. If I didn't have so many disparate sized HDD's...I've got everything from 4TB to 18TB, though I tend to buy the larger drives now and use the smaller ones for archiving offline.
But, I have 12 HDD's and 4 SSD's on my rig. Has my whole surround collection and backups on different drives. But I'm doing it manually. What goes in one folder goes in an identical one on another drive.
I'm aware of ZFS, and I even have a second pc I've considered turning into a NAS. It just never seems to happen and reading about implementing your own gets technical and , well, boring as hell.
There is one I really considered, bunch of video's on Youtube, openmediavault I think it's called.

I need to have a better system. If I didn't have so many disparate sized HDD's...I've got everything from 4TB to 18TB, though I tend to buy the larger drives now and use the smaller ones for archiving offline.
But, I have 12 HDD's and 4 SSD's on my rig. Has my whole surround collection and backups on different drives. But I'm doing it manually. What goes in one folder goes in an identical one on another drive.
I'm aware of ZFS, and I even have a second pc I've considered turning into a NAS. It just never seems to happen and reading about implementing your own gets technical and , well, boring as hell.
There is one I really considered, bunch of video's on Youtube, openmediavault I think it's called.
You and I are on the same team, brother. A 12TB HDD backed up manually, twice a year, to a bevy of smaller ones. Not elegant, but it works for now. Maybe one day....

All things UNIX have a pretty limited audience of folks (ok, nerds) who find them interesting. Definitely not something to try on your own without prior experience and particularly without interest in jumping into the deep end.

A company that sells suitable hardware (on Amazon even) and has both free and commercial software (with support) for ZFS storage solutions is TrueNAS. They evolved from and/or merged with FreeNAS. FreeNAS provided ZFS filesystems on FreeBSD IIRC and was quite popular with folks that spun up their own NAS boxes. I think openmediavault is of the same flavor as FreeNAS (software only, with an interested supporting community of nerds). TrueNAS is I believe more turnkey so more suitable for folks that don't want to get into UNIX systems administration. I don't have direct experience with it but will later this year thanks to a Kickstarter that I couldn't resist.

You and I are on the same team, brother. A 12TB HDD backed up manually, twice a year, to a bevy of smaller ones. Not elegant, but it works for now. Maybe one day....
...saved by zero.
Well to be clear all my older, smaller drives house the backups for my surround BD's. It just seemed more economical to get some use out of them that way. I keep the old 1-8TB HDD's on my second computer and download the .iso files to it. As a drive fills up I put it in the same packaging as a drive would ship in and put on the shelf with the others.
All else has backups on the same machine, BD's just a little big for me to keep two copies on one machine right now.

But soon supposedly even larger HDD's somewhere in the 30-50TB range will be coming out, and I expect (hope) eventually the prices come down to earth as surely they will be expensive.
Jeez. I remember when I bought my first 1GB drive. Thought there would never be a need for anything larger...and I just bought an 18TB NAS drive a few months ago.

All things UNIX have a pretty limited audience of folks (ok, nerds) who find them interesting. Definitely not something to try on your own without prior experience and particularly without interest in jumping into the deep end.

A company that sells suitable hardware (on Amazon even) and has both free and commercial software (with support) for ZFS storage solutions is TrueNAS. They evolved from and/or merged with FreeNAS. FreeNAS provided ZFS filesystems on FreeBSD IIRC and was quite popular with folks that spun up their own NAS boxes. I think openmediavault is of the same flavor as FreeNAS (software only, with an interested supporting community of nerds). TrueNAS is I believe more turnkey so more suitable for folks that don't want to get into UNIX systems administration. I don't have direct experience with it but will later this year thanks to a Kickstarter that I couldn't resist.
I joined the TrueNAS forum and was quickly directed to read a bunch of documentation I could only somewhat understand. Then I started reading forum posts and quickly abandoned any thoughts of using TrueNAS. Contrary to that I watched several openmediavault videos and it seemed much simpler. But I haven't taken the plunge.
On the TrueNAS forum it seemed like having to take a test.
Just my experience, I understand many use TrueNAS and it works for them.
Didn't the developer of openmediavault have some affiliation with FreeNAS?

Well, some interesting off topic stuff about NAS, ZFS, and RAID. But it is off topic. What does it have to do with @Mr. Afternoon's original post about SACD?
OK then. @Mr. Afternoon was bemoaning the dearth of SACD titles and making a plea/statement/observation to the Record companies?
I think the conversation deviated a long time ago, but here's my two cents.

Only because I hate to see formats fade away, and Mr. Dutton's fine work bringing us what Quad titles he can in that format do I care at all about SACD.
Hell, I've even Authored SACD's. But of course I have one Oppo that will play SACD-R natively, and another that will play SACD-R .iso via Network or USB.

I think backing up music is a natural offshoot and/or inclusion of any topic concerning physical media we buy, although of course some are 100% against it, for whatever their reasons, stupid US laws, IDK. I've lost a few titles on optical disc to "disc rot" or other reasons and was glad I had digital backups.

You can't have a discussion about SACD without wondering about why Sony did everything they could to milk the format and make it hard to copy, only to pretty much abandon it. Add to that there's very few manufacturing entities left to even produce SACD. Sony doesn't care much about SACD but you can believe they will fight tooth and nail for every penny they can get from it.

I do welcome the limited support for SACD only that it continues to be a source for music that we might not otherwise see in a lossless format. I won't argue the merits some see of SACD as that's been covered.

I understand how topic deviation can be irksome...and I even contribute to that, not intentionally meaning to derail threads. But there's a smart and curious bunch here on QQ, and I learn things.

There is a company called drobo that makes storage chassis that hold multiple drives, and can arrange them into a raid-type configuration. I personally have a drobo 5N, which holds five HDDs and is network-attached. The drives don’t have to all be the same size, although that seems preferable for redundancy.

There is a company called drobo that makes storage chassis that hold multiple drives, and can arrange them into a raid-type configuration. I personally have a drobo 5N, which holds five HDDs and is network-attached. The drives don’t have to all be the same size, although that seems preferable for redundancy.
Sounds good. My top pedestal has a mount for 3 HDD cages, each hold 4 drives. It's only the disparity in drive sizes at this time, that makes mirroring, or RAID a pita as I don't like to waste drive space with the drives not being matched in size, although I do have 3 identical 10TB NAS drives but they are already filled with different files. Poor planning on my part, maybe. I just found the mount last year that fits my case, they are not made anymore as Case Labs went under due to the Aluminum embargoes.

Of course in the mix is my ripped SACD's.

Sounds good. My top pedestal has a mount for 3 HDD cages, each hold 4 drives. It's only the disparity in drive sizes at this time, that makes mirroring, or RAID a pita as I don't like to waste drive space with the drives not being matched in size, although I do have 3 identical 10TB NAS drives but they are already filled with different files. Poor planning on my part, maybe. I just found the mount last year that fits my case, they are not made anymore as Case Labs went under due to the Aluminum embargoes.

Of course in the mix is my ripped SACD's.
It’s worth noting that putting those drives in a drobo chassis will result in them being formatted, so DON’T DO IT!! My setup has barious sizes of drives, and is arranged so any two drives can fail without data loss, but that takes drive space.

If you have a handful of drives that don’t have important data on them, you can stuff them in the chassis and build up a RAID (they call their system “beyond RAID”). Occasionally, as budget and needs dictate, I replace an older, smaller drive with a big muthah drive. It takes a few hours for the box to shuffle the data around, but you can access the data while that’s going on. I use it for backup, and as a network drive to source streams for my Oppo 105 and my Roku. So my Roku connects to my drobo, how cool is that?

OK then. @Mr. Afternoon was bemoaning the dearth of SACD titles and making a plea/statement/observation to the Record companies?

Only because I hate to see formats fade away, and Mr. Dutton's fine work bringing us what Quad titles he can in that format do I care at all about SACD.
Hell, I've even Authored SACD's. But of course I have one Oppo that will play SACD-R natively, and another that will play SACD-R .iso via Network or USB.

I think backing up music is a natural offshoot and/or inclusion of any topic concerning physical media we buy, although of course some are 100% against it, for whatever their reasons, stupid US laws, IDK. I've lost a few titles on optical disc to "disc rot" or other reasons and was glad I had digital backups.

You can't have a discussion about SACD without wondering about why Sony did everything they could to milk the format and make it hard to copy, only to pretty much abandon it. Add to that there's very few manufacturing entities left to even produce SACD. Sony doesn't care much about SACD but you can believe they will fight tooth and nail for every penny they can get from it.

I do welcome the limited support for SACD only that it continues to be a source for music that we might not otherwise see in a lossless format. I won't argue the merits some see of SACD as that's been covered.

I understand how topic deviation can be irksome...and I even contribute to that, not intentionally meaning to derail threads. But there's a smart and curious bunch here on QQ, and I learn t

I understand how topic deviation can be irksome...and I even contribute to that, not intentionally meaning to derail threads. But there's a smart and curious bunch here on QQ, and I learn things.
In addition to the fine work the folks at D-V are doing, SACD is still very much alive in Japan, and the discs being released there, although on the expensive side, are available for us to order on this side of the Pacific.

When the DVD-A/SACD "battle" began, I initially aligned with the DVD-A camp. Since home theater systems were gaining in popularity, and since most DVD-A's were compatible with any DVD player (the exception being those from a company called "Surrounded By"), music on DVD, in surround, could reach more people, gaining popularity. No special player was needed to hear it in surround. Initially, Columbia's SACD's weren't hybrid. That meant you couldn't play them on just any CD player. Hybrid discs changed that, although the CD layer would only be stereo. To hear them in surround still needed a special player. Sony supported SACD on many of their HTIB systems, and on some separate DVD/CD players, too. But what they didn't do was adequately support the format with software in a hybrid format. If they had, people could have enjoyed the discs on their systems to begin with, making surround playback an add-on feature. Other labels, who aligned with SACD, mostly went hybrid from the beginning. Universal, for one, did a great job of releasing titles people would actually want. The Elton John albums that they released in surround, come to mind. The first disc that convinced me to add SACD to my system was the Carpenters' "Singles 1969-1982" disc. A customer of mine told me he had just gotten the disc, and it was amazing. UMG was also starting to release many titles on DVD-A, and I thought I'd wait for that. When it didn't materialize, I bought the SACD, and a Pioneer DV-563A universal (back then) player. My SACD collection began to grow rapidly. As long as there are are discs available, I'll keep buying 'em. I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement of the next group of popular titles from D-V.

What really troubled me was the lack of promotion, by Sony, for a format they invented. I could have seen SACD becoming very popular in car systems, as well as home, but Sony only had a few models, which weren't widely distributed. Had they done so, and if the store I was working in were carrying them, the Honda Civic I was driving at the time would have had one. The autosound market would have been the perfect place to promote surround sound, but it never really happened. I had a surround system in a previous car, using a Fosgate Gavotte II, and it rocked! I had recorded quad records onto tape, and while the decoding wasn't perfect from SQ sources, it still created something of a quad effect. QS records that I taped really showed what the thing could do. I remember my mother's reaction when she heard it; she wanted it in her car! Now, this system was matrix-based; imagine what a discrete system (that sounded better than Q8) would sound! Alas, it wasn't to be.

Today, I can play all three disc-based lossless systems; DVD-A, SACD, and BD-A. My receiver doesn't support FLAC; it's 23 years old, and still sounding great. My Pioneer player, Surround Master, and CD-4 demodulator, all share the multichannel analog inputs on my Denon AVR-3300. Buying a new receiver is out of the question, if I can't connect my Surround Master to it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited:
Yep. My Oppo will play about anything, but I use the pc instead these days and just bitstream to the AVR, except I rely on Foobar to play the SACD and DVDA images.
(A shame PowerDVD dropped support for DVDA some years back)

As far as using the Oppo for disc playback, I've always preferred DVDA over SACD just because there's usually some graphic content/slides on the lossless side. When I author a DVDA I try to put some graphic content in there as well, depending on what menu system I use. Recently I've went more for a static-appearing menu with normal navigation + using the arrow keys and pressing Enter/Select to select a track than slides. Takes more time to author, though, as I use a separate app to make the menu.

But as far as just listening to lossless music, I really have no preference between SACD & DVDA.

As of January 27th, 2023, Drobo support and products are no longer available.
As I understand it (and I may be dead wrong) Drobo is full of proprietary tech, which may mean that if the main box dies, you can't just put the discs in something else and still read the data.

But I'm basing that on a dim memory of having looked it up years ago and deciding against it.

I've been using TrueNAS for a couple years now and it absolutely works, but there's no denying that it's only for nerds and/or masochists.

In my opinion, the easiest thing to do is just get as many standalone NASes as you need and can afford, then back them up to each other.

SACD vs. Blu-ray:

IIRC, there were some comments that Blu-ray mastering/manufacturing was (much?) more expensive than SACDs.

Any estimate as to how much the increased Blu-ray cost would add to the final price (I would probably pay a few $ more/album to have the MCH album on the more universally used Blu-ray optical disc)?

Kirk Bayne

SACD vs. Blu-ray:

IIRC, there were some comments that Blu-ray mastering/manufacturing was (much?) more expensive than SACDs.

Any estimate as to how much the increased Blu-ray cost would add to the final price (I would probably pay a few $ more/album to have the MCH album on the more universally used Blu-ray optical disc)?

Kirk Bayne
Unfortunately, good luck getting a clear answer, most of this information is confidential. I can say that it's significant enough that DV and I are likely not gonna be cruising on BD any time soon.

SACD vs. Blu-ray:

Kirk Bayne
I was told that it is also the royalty you have to pay in advance to use Blu-Ray that pushes the cost up, no idea how much, but I believe its based on the number you manufacture. I expect more people buy video BDs than Audio ones so the video guys don't worry about upfront costs.

As I understand it (and I may be dead wrong) Drobo is full of proprietary tech, which may mean that if the main box dies, you can't just put the discs in something else and still read the data.

But I'm basing that on a dim memory of having looked it up years ago and deciding against it.
I believe that’s true, but if what @Marplot said is true (and it wouldn’t surprise me), it’s moot. Local NAS for backup is good, but an off-site account is better.

I bought mine with a $100 discount throuh a promotion on “Home Theater Geeks” about ten years ago. So far, it’s working well, and TBH, as a source for local streaming, it’s a copy of the music folder on my PC. But I suppose I should start looking for a replacement.

Back