Sony Music Quad Titles You'd Recommend for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abraxas is coming out on Mobile Fidelity Hybrid Stereo SACD. So that one is out.
But there are quite a few others from Santana that could be looked into.

Boxset: Caravanserai Welcome Borboletta.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread, and I'd like to add a few of my own (in alphabetical order)

Argent 'In Deep' (1973) - contains some great songs (God Gave Rock And Roll To You, Losing Hold, Candles On The River) and the quad mix is excellent. I can hear hints of this album, the minor key songwriting and the hammond organ playing especially in Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Azteca 'Azteca' (1972) - formed by a bunch of ex-Santana band members (including Neal Schon pre-Journey) and Paul Jackson of the Headhunters, this is like a funkier version of Santana with a horn section and more singers. It's a remarkably joyful album and the quad mix is on par with any of the best Santana albums - that is to say it's great.

Blood Sweat & Tears 'New City' (1975) Obviously this is a bit past their heyday, but this album is a hidden gem. This is one of those albums that takes on a life of it's own in quad, like Edgar Winter's 'Jasmine Nightdreams'. I liked the quad mix of this album so much I paid over $50 for a Q8 on eBay. To top it off, this album has never seen digital release from the master tapes - the only CD release from Wounded Bird in 2005 is sourced from a needledrop (!)

Chase - 'Chase' (1971) and 'Pure Music' (1974) These albums are a bit like Chicago by way of Maynard Ferguson. This band had a 4-trumpet horn section and are perfectly suited to quad due to their size. I think Pure Music is an especially good quad mix and features Jim Peterik (later of Survivor) on vocals on a couple of tracks. The rest are almost like proto-acid jazz, somewhere between Herbie Hancock and Tower Of Power. To add to the appeal of these for reissue, I don't think there's been a single good digital reissue of either of these albums, most of them are absolutely compressed to death. The first CD I got (and then disposed of) of the self titled album was DR5!

Earth Wind & Fire - Open Our Eyes (1973), That's The Way Of The World (1975), and Spirit (1976) The EW&F quad mixes are absolute reference material. Let's get them all out there!

Herbie Hancock - 'Thrust' (1974) - This album is a little less famous than Headhunters, but I think everything about it (the playing, the songs, the quad mix) is better. It just feels more 'comfortable' than it's predecessor, probably the result of the band gigging non-stop in the year between the release of the two albums. I'd also like to have Sextant (1972) but not as urgently. Unfortunately Secrets (1976) is some kind of upmix/unwrap from the stereo mix so that one can be skipped.

The Isley Brothers - 'Live It Up' (1974), 'The Heat Is On' (1975), 'Harvest For The World' (1976) and 'Go For Your Guns' (1977) If you've heard the SACD with the quad mix of 3+3 you know how good these guys can sound, and that was their first quad mix! For me personally these are probably my holy grails, because not only are they some of my favourite albums, the quad mix of The Heat Is On has never been seen in the wild anywhere (LP or Q8), Harvest For The World was only released on SQ LP, and the Q8 of Go For Your Guns routinely fetches over $100. If we ONLY got Go For Your Guns out of this quad reissue program I would die a happy man.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - 'Between Nothingness & Eternity Live' (1973) In my opinion a better mix than Birds Of Fire and a great live album. Bonus points to AF if they can dig up the unreleased quad mix of 'Apocalypse' (1974), if it exists - Mahavishnu Orchestra mk2 backed by a symphony orchestra and produced by George Martin - it has all the ingredients for a tasty surround mix!

Dave Mason - 'It's Like You Never Left' (1973) and 'Dave Mason' (1974) I picked these two Q8's up just because they were cheap, not knowing what to expect, only knowing that Mason used to be in Traffic. I don't think there's a single dud on either of these album and lots of Dave's famous friends show up to lend a hand including Crosby & Nash doing backing vocals on a few tracks, and the quad mix is superb. Split Coconut (1975) may be good too, but I haven't heard it.

The O'Jays - 'Survival' (1975) 'Family Reunion' (1975) and 'Message In The Music' (1976) - like the other Sony SACDs that featured repurposed quad mixes, the SACD with the Ship Ahoy quad mix on it is one of the best out there. These are all great sounding albums and the lush production is perfect for the quad format. Additionally, Survival and Family Reunion were released on SQ LP only so if these did make it out on SACD it would be the first discrete quad release of these titles. You can add the two MFSB titles (Love Is The Message and Philadelphia Freedom) to that list as well as both are excellent.

Minnie Riperton 'Perfect Angel' (1974) and 'Adventures In Paradise' (1975) A couple more hidden gems from an absolutely remarkable singer with a 4 octave range. Perfect Angel was co-produced by Stevie Wonder and features him and his backing band Wonderlove playing behind Minnie, and includes the hit single 'Lovin You' but the whole album is all killer-no filler. Adventures In Paradise finds Minnie backed by a bunch of the best Steely Dan regulars including Joe Sample and Larry Carlton (from the Crusaders), Dean Parks, Jim Gordon (Derek & The Dominoes) and Tom Scott. It includes the absolute classic slow jam 'Inside You' which I often put on when I'm seducing your mother. Yes you, person who's reading this right now, YOUR mother. (Just inserted to see if anyone is still paying attention.)

Weather Report - Tale Spinnin' (1975) The early 2000's Sony SACD of the quad mix of Mysterious Traveller is pretty much everything you could want from a repurposed quad mix (weird, adventurous) - I haven't heard it, but if the Tale Spinnin' quad mix is anywhere near as good then this album is a no-brainer.

I'd also add my voice to those who've asked for the groups with lots of quad titles like Aerosmith and Santana. How about some box sets of 'the complete quad mixes' of these artists?

You guys all beat me to the punch on many titles.

I would like to throw in my nickel and offer up these gems, if at all possible, since we know they exist:

Edgar Winter's White Trash
Lauro Nyro - Eli & the 13th Confession
Big Brother & The Holding Co. - Cheap Thrills
Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
Sly & the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On, Heard Ya Missed me, Well I'm back (unconfirmed existence)
Johnny Taylor - Eargasm (was SQ-only, would love to hear discrete)
Boston - Boston

SONY/Columbia I would suggest are as follows:

Sly & Family Stone - HITS
Joplin - PEARL
Ten Years After - A Space in Time (Fixed by SH)
Wendy Carlos - Switched on Bach
BS&T - GH
Garfunkel - Breakaway
Edgar Winter - They Only Come out at Night
Mountain - Best of
Loggins & Messina (First)
EW&F - That's the Way of the World
Billy Joel - Piano Man/Turnstiles (Not happening due to others getting them first - DRAT!)
David Essex - Rock On (The title track is a quad show piece and is worth the cost of the disc on its own)
Aerosmith - All 3 (But they may not be Columbia anymore)
Bob Dylan - Desire
Janis Ian - Aftertones
Burton Cummings - Stand Tall (One hit, should be an easy title to get but how much would it sell? Probably not much)

and here's an odd choice that would really break the mold:

How about those classical Greatest Hits Quads? Were they any good? I don't recall. But they do have a lot of familiar classical tunes for those that are not big classical people:

Bach Greatest Hits
Tchaikovsky Hits
Beethoven Hits
Mozart Hits
Chopin HIts
Strauss Hits

Chicago's and Paul Simons are now WB

I actually had the SQ LP Burton Cummings Stand Tall back in the day. It decoded well. I think if I heard it again now it would make me nauseous.

Well, if Boston s/t can be licensed as a discrete quad mix for a sacd release it would be a instant seller. It's nearly 40 years old and two tracks are still basic staples of any rock radio station.

BTW, i'm out of current information on the present owner of the Stax catalogue, it had changed a lot of hands... however a quad Shaft is a dream... but please NOT editing as they did on a recent release.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread, and I'd like to add a few of my own (in alphabetical order)

Argent 'In Deep' (1973) - contains some great songs (God Gave Rock And Roll To You, Losing Hold, Candles On The River) and the quad mix is excellent. I can hear hints of this album, the minor key songwriting and the hammond organ playing especially in Steven Wilson's Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Azteca 'Azteca' (1972) - formed by a bunch of ex-Santana band members (including Neal Schon pre-Journey) and Paul Jackson of the Headhunters, this is like a funkier version of Santana with a horn section and more singers. It's a remarkably joyful album and the quad mix is on par with any of the best Santana albums - that is to say it's great.

Blood Sweat & Tears 'New City' (1975) Obviously this is a bit past their heyday, but this album is a hidden gem. This is one of those albums that takes on a life of it's own in quad, like Edgar Winter's 'Jasmine Nightdreams'. I liked the quad mix of this album so much I paid over $50 for a Q8 on eBay. To top it off, this album has never seen digital release from the master tapes - the only CD release from Wounded Bird in 2005 is sourced from a needledrop (!)

Chase - 'Chase' (1971) and 'Pure Music' (1974) These albums are a bit like Chicago by way of Maynard Ferguson. This band had a 4-trumpet horn section and are perfectly suited to quad due to their size. I think Pure Music is an especially good quad mix and features Jim Peterik (later of Survivor) on vocals on a couple of tracks. The rest are almost like proto-acid jazz, somewhere between Herbie Hancock and Tower Of Power. To add to the appeal of these for reissue, I don't think there's been a single good digital reissue of either of these albums, most of them are absolutely compressed to death. The first CD I got (and then disposed of) of the self titled album was DR5!

Earth Wind & Fire - Open Our Eyes (1973), That's The Way Of The World (1975), and Spirit (1976) The EW&F quad mixes are absolute reference material. Let's get them all out there!

Herbie Hancock - 'Thrust' (1974) - This album is a little less famous than Headhunters, but I think everything about it (the playing, the songs, the quad mix) is better. It just feels more 'comfortable' than it's predecessor, probably the result of the band gigging non-stop in the year between the release of the two albums. I'd also like to have Sextant (1972) but not as urgently. Unfortunately Secrets (1976) is some kind of upmix/unwrap from the stereo mix so that one can be skipped.

The Isley Brothers - 'Live It Up' (1974), 'The Heat Is On' (1975), 'Harvest For The World' (1976) and 'Go For Your Guns' (1977) If you've heard the SACD with the quad mix of 3+3 you know how good these guys can sound, and that was their first quad mix! For me personally these are probably my holy grails, because not only are they some of my favourite albums, the quad mix of The Heat Is On has never been seen in the wild anywhere (LP or Q8), Harvest For The World was only released on SQ LP, and the Q8 of Go For Your Guns routinely fetches over $100. If we ONLY got Go For Your Guns out of this quad reissue program I would die a happy man.

Mahavishnu Orchestra - 'Between Nothingness & Eternity Live' (1973) In my opinion a better mix than Birds Of Fire and a great live album. Bonus points to AF if they can dig up the unreleased quad mix of 'Apocalypse' (1974), if it exists - Mahavishnu Orchestra mk2 backed by a symphony orchestra and produced by George Martin - it has all the ingredients for a tasty surround mix!

Dave Mason - 'It's Like You Never Left' (1973) and 'Dave Mason' (1974) I picked these two Q8's up just because they were cheap, not knowing what to expect, only knowing that Mason used to be in Traffic. I don't think there's a single dud on either of these album and lots of Dave's famous friends show up to lend a hand including Crosby & Nash doing backing vocals on a few tracks, and the quad mix is superb. Split Coconut (1975) may be good too, but I haven't heard it.

The O'Jays - 'Survival' (1975) 'Family Reunion' (1975) and 'Message In The Music' (1976) - like the other Sony SACDs that featured repurposed quad mixes, the SACD with the Ship Ahoy quad mix on it is one of the best out there. These are all great sounding albums and the lush production is perfect for the quad format. Additionally, Survival and Family Reunion were released on SQ LP only so if these did make it out on SACD it would be the first discrete quad release of these titles. You can add the two MFSB titles (Love Is The Message and Philadelphia Freedom) to that list as well as both are excellent.

Minnie Riperton 'Perfect Angel' (1974) and 'Adventures In Paradise' (1975) A couple more hidden gems from an absolutely remarkable singer with a 4 octave range. Perfect Angel was co-produced by Stevie Wonder and features him and his backing band Wonderlove playing behind Minnie, and includes the hit single 'Lovin You' but the whole album is all killer-no filler. Adventures In Paradise finds Minnie backed by a bunch of the best Steely Dan regulars including Joe Sample and Larry Carlton (from the Crusaders), Dean Parks, Jim Gordon (Derek & The Dominoes) and Tom Scott. It includes the absolute classic slow jam 'Inside You' which I often put on when I'm seducing your mother. Yes you, person who's reading this right now, YOUR mother. (Just inserted to see if anyone is still paying attention.)

Weather Report - Tale Spinnin' (1975) The early 2000's Sony SACD of the quad mix of Mysterious Traveller is pretty much everything you could want from a repurposed quad mix (weird, adventurous) - I haven't heard it, but if the Tale Spinnin' quad mix is anywhere near as good then this album is a no-brainer.

I'd also add my voice to those who've asked for the groups with lots of quad titles like Aerosmith and Santana. How about some box sets of 'the complete quad mixes' of these artists?

All good suggestions but one of those IS available...use promo code TAKE10 at checkout for 10% off(until the 30th) HERE

steelydave said:
the absolute classic slow jam 'Inside You' which I often put on when I'm seducing your mother. Yes you, person who's reading this right now, YOUR mother. (Just inserted to see if anyone is still paying..

:ugham:

Well, if Boston s/t can be licensed as a discrete quad mix for a sacd release it would be a instant seller. It's nearly 40 years old and two tracks are still basic staples of any rock radio station.

BTW, i'm out of current information on the present owner of the Stax catalogue, it had changed a lot of hands... however a quad Shaft is a dream... but please NOT editing as they did on a recent release.
What was edited?

Thanks for that very good, very interesting list (about a third of which I was unfamiliar with, but I'm going to check out). I'm going to print this one and use it for reference, definitely. I like the idea for the quad box sets, too.

Thanks for that very good, very interesting list (about a third of which I was unfamiliar with, but I'm going to check out). I'm going to print this one and use it for reference, definitely. I like the idea for the quad box sets, too.

Some of these are out there on CD with their SQ encoding intact (both Chase/Chase & Chase/Pure Music for example) so you can check them out now if you fancy?

I'd be interested in the Sly & The Family Stone quad, and Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Some of these are out there on CD with their SQ encoding intact (both Chase/Chase & Chase/Pure Music for example) so you can check them out now if you fancy?

I'll get to them. Just a matter of time/money management as always. I've got to preview some of them on Spotify as well, if they're on there.

Maybe it was..

"That Shaft is a bad mother****** (shut yo mouth)"..? :ugham:

What you have in stars there has never been in the recording far as I know and I used to have the reel-to-reel version.

Here is my Columbia list again. I too would love to have some of the Very Historic Columbia Quads of Classical/Opera. So, please lot's more Hard Rock, Classical/Opera, Jazz and Country Music too!

CQ-30322 Janis Joplin/Pearl
PZQ-32481 Rick Derrenger/All American Boy
PCQ-34165 Aerosmith/Rocks
PCQ-32847 Aerosmith/Get Your Wings
PCQ-33479 Aerosmith/Toys in the Attic
CQ-30768 Raiders/Indian Reservation
CQ-30995 Simon & Garfunkel/Bridge Over Troubled Water

PCQ-33280 Earth, Wind & Fire/That's the Way of the World
PCQ-34241 Earth, Wind & Fire/Spirit
CQ-32194 Earth, Wind & Fire/Head to the Sky
Earth, Wind & Fire/Open Our Eyes - Released in April, 2015 - Buy it while you can!

PCQ-32017 Blue Oyster Cult/Tyranny & Mutation
PCQ-32858 Blue Oyster Cult/Secret Treaties

PZQ-33536 Isley Brothers/Heat is On
PZQ-33809 Isley Brothers/Harvest for a New World
PZQ-34432 Isley Brothers/Go For Your Guns
PZQ-33070 Isley Brothers/Live it Up
PZQ-32453 Isley Brothers/3+3

EQ-30325 Sly & the Family Stone/Greatest Hits
PCQ-32919 Neil Diamond/Serenade

PEQ-34462 Wild Cherry/Electrified Funk
GQ-30997 Miles Davis/Bitches Brew

CQ-30106 Ray Price/For the Good Times
PEQ-32247 Charlie Rich/Behind Closed Doors

PCQ-34178 B.T.Express/Energy to Burn
PZQ-33423 Rick Derrenger/Spring Fever
MQ-31018 Wendy Carlos/Switched On Bach

PCQ-32964 Santana 1 - (and all other Santana Quads)

PZQ-33808 Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes/Wake Up
PZQ-32407 Harold Melvin & Blue Notes/Black & Blue
ZQ-32707 MFSB/Love is the Message
CQ-30801 Ten Years After/A Space in Time

PCQ-32212 Herbie Hancock/Sextant
PCQ-32965 Herbie Hancock/Thrust
PCQ-34280 Herbie Hancock/Secrets

PCQ-31721 Dave Mason/It's Like You Never Left
PCQ-33096 Dave Mason/Dave Mason
PCQ-33698 Dave Mason/Split Coconut

PCQ-32188 Johnny Winter/Still Alive and Well
PEQ-31584 Edgar Winter/They Only Come Out at Night
PEQ-32461 Edgar Winter/Shock Treatment
PZQ-33798 Edgar Winter/ w Rick Derringer/Edgar Winter Group

PEQ-33849 Jeff Beck/Wired
PEQ-34121 Ted Nugent/Free For All
CQ-31748 Loggins & Messina

PZQ-33807 O'Jays/Family Reunion
PZQ-34245 O'Jays/Message in the Music
PZQ-33150 O'Jays/Survival

List of Columbia titles released in the 1970s: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Columbia.htm

Back