Sony Music Quad Titles You'd Recommend for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll get to them. Just a matter of time/money management as always. I've got to preview some of them on Spotify as well, if they're on there.

fwiw, the iTunes downloads of those two albums do a lot of fun things in PLII..
not SQ decoding I know and obviously not accurate but like I say fun and very surround-y.

I have heard from very credible sources that the quad Simon & Garfunkel and quad Paul Simon solo albums, as well as Graceland 5.1, will not see the light of day again as long as PS is with us!

That's a damn shame. I would be all over Bookends, and the Mike Robin "Bridge" is on the level of the Doors Hits. The 3 PS albums are also all great quad mixes. But if the artist controls his material (which I am in favor of BTW), and that artist does not want these mixes released again, well, that's the definative word. Unfortunate for us.

As for "Breakaway" and "Angel Claire", I really don't know. "Breakaway" would be the only one of the two I'd get somewhat excited about on 4.0 AF SACD.

I have heard from very credible sources that the quad Simon & Garfunkel and quad Paul Simon solo albums, as well as Graceland 5.1, will not see the light of day again as long as PS is with us!

That's a damn shame. I would be all over Bookends, and the Mike Robin "Bridge" is on the level of the Doors Hits. The 3 PS albums are also all great quad mixes. But if the artist controls his material (which I am in favor of BTW), and that artist does not want these mixes released again, well, that's the definative word. Unfortunate for us.

As for "Breakaway" and "Angel Claire", I really don't know. "Breakaway" would be the only one of the two I'd get somewhat excited about on 4.0 AF SACD.

I've heard that as well - that Paul Simon has said no to Surround Sound reissues.
As to Breakway, it does include a Simon & Garfunkel track (My Little Town) - so Angel Claire might be more of a possibility for reissue.

Great post by steelydave.
Never heard of Azteca but the description certainly sounds appealing.
Only artist I might pass would be Minnie Riperton

I've heard that as well - that Paul Simon has said no to Surround Sound reissues.
As to Breakway, it does include a Simon & Garfunkel track (My Little Town) - so Angel Claire might be more of a possibility for reissue.

Yes, I too have heard PS wants nothing to do with surround, so GRACELAND & RYTHUM OF THE SAINTS both mixed in 5.1 some years back, will most likely never see the surround lite of day.Sad indeed .

Speaking of PAUL SIMON quad though, does anyone else think YOU'RE THE ONE sounds more like quad than 5.1? Hardly any center speaker at all.

One that I know I would love to see is if the O'Jays - Backstabbers album was mixed and left unreleased. It's probably the most popular of their albums with TWO Top 10 hits and it was smack dab in the middle of the Quad era. If that album could see the light of day, I'd box up my first born and mail it to Audio Fidelity.

One that I know I would love to see is if the O'Jays - Backstabbers album was mixed and left unreleased. It's probably the most popular of their albums with TWO Top 10 hits and it was smack dab in the middle of the Quad era. If that album could see the light of day, I'd box up my first born and mail it to Audio Fidelity.

I don't think the Backstabbers album by the O' Jays was mixed to Quad. But I would agree with issuing another O'Jays album in Multichannel SACD to add to Ship Ahoy! :)

I don't think the Backstabbers album by the O' Jays was mixed to Quad. But I would agree with issuing another O'Jays album in Multichannel SACD to add to Ship Ahoy! :)

"Message In The Music" please!
It's the most accessible of their albums that made it in Quad imho (and my personal favourite) the title tracks a hit, Darlin' Darlin' Baby too.. and the Q8 is so ultra rare only about 3 people have ever heard it! :D

Yes, I too have heard PS wants nothing to do with surround, so GRACELAND & RYTHUM OF THE SAINTS both mixed in 5.1 some years back, will most likely never see the surround lite of day.Sad indeed .

Speaking of PAUL SIMON quad though, does anyone else think YOU'RE THE ONE sounds more like quad than 5.1? Hardly any center speaker at all.

How sad.. I wonder why he dislikes surround/quad so much?

Maybe, Maybe not. It would be neat to put it on a request and see what comes up. Stranger things have happened! Who wouldn't want "Love Train" and "Backstabbers" in Quad? Those are two of the songs the O'Jays are known for! It just seems that virtually every album AFTER Backstabbers got mixed and released in one form or another. I'd always hoped it was mixed and slated for a later release sort of how Santana I and Chicago I, II and III were re-do's of older albums.

Besides, it decodes unusually well in DPL II, so, I wonder if it was a hidden SQ. Even the Tom Moulton remix has very apparent front/rear separation.

How sad.. I wonder why he dislikes surround/quad so much?
Not only were they mixed, but PRO SURROUND featured a nice big article about these mixs and their soon to be release for all to enjoy.

Paul Simon has some excellent quad mix albums, but he keeps switch ing labels, Sony-Warner-Sony and some Concord so......no doubt this plays into the lack of or lack of interest in quad or 5.1.Perhaps, now I'm just guessing here, but perhaps the surround mixes don't always transfer with the record label agreements.They could be separate, as something the former labels have more control over than the original intellectual property.

Not only were they mixed, but PRO SURROUND featured a nice big article about these mixs and their soon to be release for all to enjoy.

Paul Simon has some excellent quad mix albums, but he keeps switch ing labels, Sony-Warner-Sony and some Concord so......no doubt this plays into the lack of or lack of interest in quad or 5.1.Perhaps, now I'm just guessing here, but perhaps the surround mixes don't always transfer with the record label agreements.They could be separate, as something the former labels have more control over than the original intellectual property.

There are many possible explanations. At the end of the day, if record label and artist approval for reissues - Stereo or Multichannel SACD - aren't available, it's time to move on to other artists and albums where those approvals and licensing is available.

How about this Aerosmith disc.

What's that you said A.F.? Okay why not ! 20150713_192841.jpg

Back