Sony Music Quad Titles You'd Recommend for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realise you're not at liberty to go into details on the board but did we get Bread and The Doors because they're Elektra or were we just lucky to get those two (big, beautiful!) Warner owned Quads and Warner have since had a rethink?
This is probably related to the screwing the pooch on the Riding With The King release.

Last edited:
Tis is probably related to the screwing the pooch on the Riding With The King release.

The real reason is, like I said earlier, ............."Time will tell". No pooches were screwed in the process. :)

Interestingly at least one Isley quad track is included on the new boxset as a bonus in SQ form.

You will love this disc and will probably love the following discs. :)
AF is doing such a great job with these incredible 4.0 1970's mixes that it's hard to fathom. They are literally "rescuing" these from history and insuring they will now be available in pristine form forever.

I take it you've heard them? OK, good. They will be available in pristine form forever (for those that can pony up the collector's cash).

You know, I can't help but think that Ten Years After's "A Space in Time" getting a beautiful silky remaster on a AF gold disc, and then in what seems like a fortnight later a quadraphonic DVD priced to move comes along from the big label had something to do with AF deciding to think seriously about lost sales potential of ignoring a quad layer when it is staring at you in the face. I think that happened yet again to AF, an old quad mix appeared just after they did a nice stereo only disc.

Whatever it was, it's better late than never. It's pretty cool too.

Ok, here's my list. I've requested some of these in other AF threads.
First a question, does AF do classical? There were quite a few columbia classical "quadraphonic spectaculars" done in the 70's that used the discreet surrounds for instuments that I would like to request if they do.

Now my list:
They only come out at night - Edgar Winter Group
Pearl - Janis Joplin
Santana, Santana, Santana Abbraxas - Santana
That's the way of the world - Earth, Wind, and Fire
Love is the message - MFSB
Nashville Skyline - Bob Dylan
Stoney End - Barbara Streisand
Best of the Guess Who Vol. II - The Guess Who
Nielson Smeilson - Nielson

Last edited:
A label would never send the original master to another country for their release. They'd sent a safety copy, the same way they don't send the original master to the plant(s) in the US that were doing the quad 8 track duplication and SQ record cutting.

More likely the barcode stickers fell off the tape boxes at some point and no one there can be bothered to trawl through the hundreds or thousands of tapes at the storage facility to find them, especially for a title that might sell a few thousand copies at best.

There were more L&M quad mixes than just Full Sail too, Native Sons saw SQ release in the US toward the end of the quad era, and Sittin' In was a Japan-only SQ release.

A label would never send the original master to another country for their release. They'd sent a safety copy, the same way they don't send the original master to the plant(s) in the US that were doing the quad 8 track duplication and SQ record cutting.

More likely the barcode stickers fell off the tape boxes at some point and no one there can be bothered to trawl through the hundreds or thousands of tapes at the storage facility to find them, especially for a title that might sell a few thousand copies at best.

There were more L&M quad mixes than just Full Sail too, Native Sons saw SQ release in the US toward the end of the quad era, and Sittin' In was a Japan-only SQ release.

Back in the 70's 1st generation MASTER tapes were in fact sent around the world and used in other countries. And it was not uncommon for a Robert Ludwig to receive an album on several reels for each song, asking him to select the (best) mix for each song from a choice of 3 mixes. He would then string together (assemble) a 5 song reel for side one of say Tattoo You. Or Doug Sax sitting on first gen tapes (not a copy) of The Who - Who's Next, or a Pink Floyd album original master. Yes, the Wall master tapes!!!

Original masters were very often sent out and used especially for first pressings. I can imagine CBS/Japan having the clout to ask for the true master and getting just that.

Since the beginning of QQ in it's present form, we've seen actual quad master tapes being sold on eBay from time to time. Obviously, these tapes "got out there" somehow, because we've learned on occasion that these tapes were in fact the real deal. (Or should I say the "Reel Deal"?)

They wouldn't say be in the possession of either Loggins or Messina themselves would they? Stranger things have happened. How many session reels did Sly Stone sneak home before being asked about them for the Quad release?

Strange though that this is the only one in the archive.

Very cool that the original remix engineers are now getting credit. I can't help but think that my whinging helped that along! ;)

It means that "Full Sail" could have been sent to Japan or another country for their quad release, or a mastering house in the US, and could be located at a further date. More work and more time/money involved. Probably not gone forever, but for now.

There are many possibilities. Sometimes the catalog number or the name of the tape doesn't match what is on the tape. It's always good to have the original catalog number of the release as the tape being sought should match that (but some times does not).

In this case, one Loggins & Messina Quad Tape was found. So AF jumped on "Loggins and Messina" and licensed it for release on Multichannel SACD.

Now that the L&M Multichannel SACD release is well along the process, it opens the door to see if there are other possibilities on where the missing tapes may be.

And we should all remember that a) we are talking about tapes from 40+ years ago and b) tapes do indeed get lost and go missing and are never found.

I've been pleasantly surprised to date at how many of the tapes from the major labels that were requested by AF for Multichannel SACD release are located. If a few aren't, that shouldn't be too surprising.

I'd like to think that the Edgar Winter Group's quad masters are there still, Johnny's too. And that we will see more Warner's stuff coming soon too.

I like these "suggestion box" types of threads now that we are not living in pure fantasy land any more.

I wish they'd quit the 2 channel stuff altogether. They Only Come Out At Night should have come out by now I would think. And we need some surround Doobies. Maybe a quad version of Best of the Doobies, even though one doesn't really exist, seems they could put one together easily enough. They'd sell a bunch of them.

They Only Come Out At Night should have come out by now I would think.

I've thought that myself. TOCOAN is a natural for Quad and was probably one of the best selling Quad albums of it's time. However, I do believe that Edgar Winter himself owns the rights to his music. If you look on his website, he even uses the Quad LP cover in his discography section.

Hopefully things are in the works. I'd love to see all his albums released including White Trash and Roadwork!

I wish they'd quit the 2 channel stuff altogether. They Only Come Out At Night should have come out by now I would think. And we need some surround Doobies. Maybe a quad version of Best of the Doobies, even though one doesn't really exist, seems they could put one together easily enough. They'd sell a bunch of them.

Like I've said, they are not just going to create a new compilation of Quad mixes that never existed to begin with, and if any albums have already been licensed by Mobile Fidelity or Analogue Productions, then those won't get SACD releases either, so that might already rule out "They Only Come Out At Night" and several DB albums as they are already stereo SACDs from Mobile Fidelity. :mad:

Since I haven't seen a reply yet to my question "does AF do classical?", I would like to direct it to our two AF contactors/experts Jon and bmoura.

Last edited:
I imagine they could, or they would, if they would be big sellers. (relatively speaking of course...) Have they in the past? No. Would I predict that they will? No. Perhaps if they exhaust all the sure selling popular music that they can license. Just my speculation.

Back