Sony release second generation Blu Spec format - CD2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever, for myself, I'm pretty happy with CD quality in general and my feeling is that if the CD release doesn't sound good, it probably never sounded good on any other format. Mastering can screw any CD release. Brickwalled it is harsh and tiring. If too conservative you get reduced bit rate audio and tend to lose dynamic range.

(with apologies for the selected quote)
I broadly agree with what you are saying here - it is indeed often true that modern mastering techniques will destroy any mix out of all recognition. It is also a sad truth that more records have been ruined by bad mastering than have been improved on by good mastering. Don;t get me wrong though, there are still some superb ME out there (Bob Katz will always give you the best sounding master, not the loudest one for example - and he has a magic touch).

Where I think you're off the mark is when saying that "If too conservative you get reduced bit rate audio and tend to lose dynamic range" I am guessing you have fallen for the old myth that if you do not use all the bits up you throw away definition or resolution - this is nonsense, and you lose nothing by delivering a mix that does not use the entire range of dBFS - you deliver a more dynamic one because not only are you giving those transients breathing space you are also still using the same dynamic range - if your quietest passage is at say -50dBFS and your peak is at -10dBFS your dynamic range is still the same as if your quietest part was at -40dBFS and your loudest at 0dBFS.
What changes is your Signal to Noise ratio though. It gets worse.
Also, 16/44.1 Red Book audio has exactly the same bitrate - regardless of where the peaks are in the audio file. Lowering the peak does not somehow reduce the resolution.

Back