Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Queens Of The Stone Age - In Times New Roman, 2x silver vinyl. I got the silver 'cos I don't have any silver discs in my collection, got all the other colours, oh except gold!
20230628_153058.jpg

The smoke from the Canadian wildfires that hit New York the other week has hit my neck of the woods. Air Quality Index at 248! Some appropriately apocalyptic music then: Godspeed You! Black Emperor’s Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven!View attachment 93258
I have this one, as well. Great band, but I keep missing them when they come to Houston. I love how they will build and build and build for 7 minutes to get somewhere. Very few bands have that sort of patience. Great stuff!

I have this one, as well. Great band, but I keep missing them when they come to Houston. I love how they will build and build and build for 7 minutes to get somewhere. Very few bands have that sort of patience. Great stuff!
I studied “abroad” (the Montreal campus was about a 2 hour drive from the stateside Vermont campus) in Montreal for a semester, and saw them live, performing as a backing band to a Toronto dance troupe Holy Body Tattoo, who, together put together a show called Monumental.
One of the best shows I’ve ever seen:

I studied “abroad” (the Montreal campus was about a 2 hour drive from the stateside Vermont campus) in Montreal for a semester, and saw them live, performing as a backing band to a Toronto dance troupe Holy Body Tattoo, who, together put together a show called Monumental.
One of the best shows I’ve ever seen:

I saw a dance troupe in college. It was 2 hours of pure misery. I went to get the extra points in a music appreciation class. But, THIS is something I would pay to see.

Why have I never heard of this guy?

He's been flying under the radar since the late 70's, but has a huge catalog of great work. He was a mainstay on college radio in the 80's. He's got lots of famous fans like REM, John Paul Jones, Nick Lowe, Decemberists, Andy Partridge and The Replacements. Here's a Billboard chart from 1991:

244274606_4909216512425169_897227494547462715_n.jpg

For @Quad Linda : this is one is a classic! It feels timeless; these seven guys really swing! Carter's skills as an arranger are on display as well as his chops on both alto and trumpet. Bernie Grundman has done an excellent job remastering. Great dynamics and the soloists really shine throughout. My disc is free from crackles and pops. So glad i picked this one up at a steal from Squeezebox!
Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 10.49.48 PM.png
Benny Carter - Jazz Giant

Last edited:
IMHO, the greatest jazz guitarist ever. Have dozens of his albums. If that's not enough, he's with Miles' late 50's/early 60's band here. What's not to like?

"We All Remember Wes" - George Benson
I work with two young guys (mid 30’s) who have a rock band, released a few indie albums.
Recently asked the bassist who his favourite guitar players were:
Wes (and Jeff Beck).
I thought, whoa, this kid knows his stuff. Most people his age would probably say “Wes who?”

Back