Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PXL_20220223_232824959~2.jpg

Take off, Hosers!

Quite a sexy LT TT you got there, brother!!

An old ad from 1979. That's how long I've had mine. Got it right after Pioneer bought Phase Linear. It's a shame so many of these (and the equivalent Pioneer PL-L1000 in black) have been destroyed by sellers on ebay not taking them apart, securing the arm base with shipping screws through the bottom, and shipping properly.
phase-tt-ad79.jpg

An old ad from 1979. That's how long I've had mine. Got it right after Pioneer bought Phase Linear. It's a shame so many of these (and the equivalent Pioneer PL-L1000 in black) have been destroyed by sellers on ebay not taking them apart, securing the arm base with shipping screws through the bottom, and shipping properly.
View attachment 76329
Would love to find out how it differs from my Technics SL-QL1 which is a step down from the SL-10 without the playing upside down bells and whistles... bought mine about 3 years ago and even did some minor maintenance and belt replacement.
Most members here probably know I have 2 silver SL-QL1s in Madrid waiting for me ...I just LOOVE this TT... according to the s/n it was manufactured April 29th, 1981...
My US one is a dark grey one like this one...
I have an Ortofon OMP30 on mine, what is your cart?

iu

Would love to find out how it differs from my Technics SL-QL1 which is a step down from the SL-10

Main major difference is the way the arm is moved across. It uses a direct induction linear motor with the arm base on rollers. The arm base has two magnets driven across with a coil, which gets its drive from a photocell in the arm base and electronics that detect any movement off of 90° and instantly corrects. No other manufacturer used a linear motor like this to move the arm.

PLL1000-linear.jpg

pl-l1000-armsquare.jpg

I have an Ortofon OMP30 on mine, what is your cart?

Stanton 881S with an original design Stereohedron stylus of which I collected a few spares too, before Stanton stopped making Stereohedron styli.

While I (very impatiently) await the arrival of the blu-ray, the vinyl appeared in my mailbox a day before release date. (Gotta love the Moose!)

Just finished the first side....it's fantastic. I can't wait to hear what Mr. Wilson does with it.

View attachment 76337

Tears For Fears
The Tipping Point
So, the vinyl sounds dynamic? Someone posted the DR for the CD and it was absolutely horrific.

So, the vinyl sounds dynamic? Someone posted the DR for the CD and it was absolutely horrific.

Actually my glee is a reaction to the music. The songs are absolutely wonderful. Having just finished the 2nd side, I do have to say that the vinyl is not very dynamic. I still have very high hopes for what Mr. Wilson will provide in the way of a surround mix.

• Sad
Reactions: GOS
Love this album. Johnny Hold Back is a classic
Yep. I am a sucker for classic rock tunes with backing saxes. Savoy Truffle (Beatles) & Long, Long Way From Home (Foreigner) come to mind. Love the guitar solo as well. Alas, I think their choice of name doomed them in our now digital world. Search “Charlie” in any engine and you won’t find them without quite a few modifiers.

All of those Japanese Toshiba Maiden pressings are great. I want to say they may have used the UK plates for these, but don't quote me on that.

I need to get this one. It's my favorite Iron Maiden album.
Yes. this pressing IS amazing. Unfortunately this is the only Japanese Maiden LP I got (it's my fave too).
IF they used UK plates they changed the deadwax numbers to the machine stamped ones used on most Japanese pressings.
I noticed that when they used plates from the US or UK on foreign pressings they did not bother changing the deadwax info; I got Hall & Oates' "H2O" on a Spanish pressing and it still had the "MASTERDISK" stamp on it...

Yes. this pressing IS amazing. Unfortunately this is the only Japanese Maiden LP I got (it's my fave too).
IF they used UK plates they changed the deadwax numbers to the machine stamped ones used on most Japanese pressings.
I noticed that when they used plates from the US or UK on foreign pressings they did not bother changing the deadwax info; I got Hall & Oates' "H2O" on a Spanish pressing and it still had the "MASTERDISK" stamp on it...

You are totally correct. Perhaps they used the UK tapes in the pressing rather than the UK plates. This is why I said I could be wrong, and I probably am.

I have the first three albums. They aren't cheap, but neither is a good quality UK pressing. I personally think the JPN pressings are better than the UKs, but that's just me.

You are totally correct. Perhaps they used the UK tapes in the pressing rather than the UK plates. This is why I said I could be wrong, and I probably am.

I have the first three albums. They aren't cheap, but neither is a good quality UK pressing. I personally think the JPN pressings are better than the UKs, but that's just me.
there some members that swear by German pressings, I have never come across any that are better than most Japanese pressings I own but I can say that most Japanese pressings I got are superb. Quality control is top notch and they usually cut the LP quieter than the US or UK which uncovers a lot of detail you would otherwise miss...

And , definitely , NO, this LP was not cheap at all...but it's worth it...

there some members that swear by German pressings, I have never come across any that are better than most Japanese pressings I own but I can say that most Japanese pressings I got are superb. Quality control is top notch and they usually cut the LP quieter than the US or UK which uncovers a lot of detail you would otherwise miss...

And , definitely , NO, this LP was not cheap at all...but it's worth it...
I am in agreement with you about Japanese pressings. Much much better quality control than other pressings.

Personally, I think most of them sound great. I know some folks complain about the bass rolloff on some of their pressings. I have heard that they would do this because so many Japanese folks life in small apartments. Well, small compaired to American apartments. However, I don't think it is that noticeable and it doesn't stop me from buying Japanese imports.

Back