Steve Hackett back catalog in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I've received a couple of PMs with this question: I bought my set from amazon uk. Four CDs are slightly scratched, nothing serious but they need to be taken out of the crappy paper containers asap

I'm only going to take out and store the discretely mixed DVDs in different and more accessible cases. The rest are remaining in the set cause I don't think I'll ever have much need to listen to the upmixed DVDs and all the CDs are on streaming services for easy access.

A nice little bit I picked up from reading the book contained in this set. Steve Hackett says:
When "Please Don't Touch" caught fire it was something else! It's no coincidence that Steven Wilson offered to remix this stuff in 5.1 surround sound. He'd originally been inspired by "Please Don't Touch" when he was barely a teenager. At one point on the title track Chester Thompson plays something on percussion that Steven says sounds like someone trying to break out of a coffin.
:)

I took all my discs under some lights and these are the results of the first 4.
Picture 4, 5 and 6 are from disc 4, the worst of them I think.
After my first listen I put them back in the cardboard sleeves, after the second listen I put them into jewel cases.
On picture 4 you see the imprint of the cardboard sleeve.
I guess this is normal?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D7B52B9BDD8DC9BB!680&authkey=!AAW10uzA5rVlgDY&ithint=folder%2cJPG
that does not look good, does it affect your playback? When I have time this weekend, I will rip the cds and dvds, and see if they are scratched or not.

I listened to the DVD "Voyage Of The Acolyte" 5.1 Penteo up-mix, and it sounds really good, remarkably discrete.

I listened to the DVD "Voyage Of The Acolyte" 5.1 Penteo up-mix, and it sounds really good, remarkably discrete.

Agreed! Very satisfied with the results and glad they took the time to do this for this remarkable album (his best that I have heard so far..)

Enjoying Voyage of the Acolyte in YouTube.0
Really diggin it.
Is this one the best? Are there other great Hackett albums?

All four of the first four solo albums of his ("Voyage of the Acolyte", "Please Don't Touch", "Spectral Mornings", and "Defector") are all superb. It's after that where things go downhill. I haven't listened to all of "Highly Strung" yet, but I have not liked what I have heard of "Cured".

Disclaimer: I have not read the entire thread...

buuuut... are any of the discreete discs going to be released individually?

I know Steven Wilson has said that his discrete remixes will be released individually sometime next year, but I'm honestly not that sure if I believe it. At the very least I have doubts that the DVDs with the 5.1 mixes will be released outside of the box.
Why? Look at the screencaps I posted for the four DVDs above. They all say "Premonitions", so it wouldn't make that much sense to release those DVDs as they are with the "Premonitions" designs outside of the box, and I doubt they would pay to have the discs reauthored again (or if they did maybe we could finally talk some sense into those morons and have these DVDs properly authored as DVD-A/V discs, just like they always should have been to begin with, but I digress…)

Finally got my copy this afternoon, not much time today to listen as my oldest daughters birthday today so a bit busy.
I did open the package and had a quick look and I removed the disk's as carefully as possible and do notice little scuff marks and scratches on many of the disks which I think is from whoever put these disk's into the folders wasn't very careful. This is disappointing, are all the copies like this as have read others having problems with scratches on disks.
Had a listen to a few songs from first album and couldn't really concentrate on it as was doing something for my daughter on computer in another room but music sounded good from a distance but the music was very good what SH came out with initially.
Agree with what Ryan said first four albums are all good, Cured and Highly Strung are not on the same quality level.

that does not look good, does it affect your playback? When I have time this weekend, I will rip the cds and dvds, and see if they are scratched or not.

No, they don't affect the playback. But I've contacted the site already and I hope I will get a better copy :) !

The ballad of a decomposing man is one of the worst songs ever made.

I hope the separate releases still happen. I am so put off by the presentation of this set with their option to minimise the number of CD's by tacking them on album after album. Horrible, just horrible. I don't know how Hackett himself could sign off on this, whether he really had a say in the matter to begin with.

He did have say and the box carries the name Premonitions that he wanted to title the first album but there was a conflict at the time with another of the same name.

This is a CAREER-centric box set, to be taken as a whole rather than album-centric for the most part. We already have those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad though he either didn't have any say or didn't care how the DVDs were done for this set.
Though I guess a lot of it comes down to who is managing the project. This set had a different person managing it than other recent Universal releases that were actually released as DVD-A/V discs, so basically we just need the right person managing all surround related projects from this point forward in order to really get things as they should be!

Latest posts

Back