Suggestions.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miker1102

I am new to this forum so thanks for letting me come in. So I recently started getting into 5.1 and uncompressed music. What happened was I listened to some Yes remixes done by Steven Wilson because I am a huge Rush fan and all these forums were like"Steven Wilson" should do it. Wow, I think Steve Wilson is a genius . My system can only mix up to Dolby Master and it's not 4k so I think it's time. Any ideas? I read some reviews of these atmos systems and it seems like it would be the best quality. I kind of am at a point where I stopped chasing tech but my sound system is seven years old. Any advice would be helpful ..thanks .

Atmos music is in it's infancy with not many titles available. If it's anything like previous attempts at surround music, it will be bungled and suffer a miserable fate- dying but not dead, limited offerings and leaving a very bitter taste for what could have been. I'd say if you're interested in Atmos for movies, go for it and whatever music becomes available will be a nice bonus. But I think it's a lot of cost and effort to pursue for mainly music and likely to be disappointing.

The good news is though it's been on life support for some time, there is still a decent amount of new music in surround being released and a nice amount of back catalog- though many of those cost quite a bit. IMO your money would be better spent building a collection of surround music with MCH blu-rays, SACDs, DVD-As and DVD-Vs and DTS-CDs. I think you get much more enjoyment bang-for-your-buck. Once you've built that collection to a sufficient level, maybe then think about Atmos. You'll have a better idea of how much and what type of music to expect after a few years go by.

But if you're big into movies and their audio, that's a different story. Or, if you have a good bit of disposable income, that changes the calculus too.

All just IMHO.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a great community here, very generous and helpful folks and tons of info. And tons of great times to be had if you find surround music enjoyable.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your the suggestions. I really appreciate your point of view about format support. I was always an early tech adapter and I have learned the hard way that companies will drop a product or a service without caring much about the consumer. I initially bougt HD equipment for the movies but after exploring the music Its like I found a whole new hobby. I did not realize the capability of an old Blu-ray player I had to play SACD or how good it sounded. I kinda asked myself what had I been doing all these years. Its been a really joy to see whats out there, thou some of the stuff can be quite expensive.

Back