Surround Master V3 has landed (news, discounts etc)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Switched over to analog (RCA) connection between my OPPO BDP-103 and the SMv3.
For whatever reason, couldn't get the OPPO to send stereo from SACD sources over TOSLINK (tried a BUNCH of different settings in the OPPO).
Oh well! Analog works great!

Blasted Presto, by Rush and Hysteria, by Def Leppard last night. Both powerful sounding with interesting stuff going on all around (at times, depending on the song).

Switched over to analog (RCA) connection between my OPPO BDP-103 and the SMv3.
For whatever reason, couldn't get the OPPO to send stereo from SACD sources over TOSLINK (tried a BUNCH of different settings in the OPPO).
Oh well! Analog works great!

Blasted Presto, by Rush and Hysteria, by Def Leppard last night. Both powerful sounding with interesting stuff going on all around (at times, depending on the song).

From the Oppo UDP-203 User Manual:

"""""""""""""
NOTE
o Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial/optical audio output, and the high resolution audio on DVD-Audio and Blu-ray discs will be sent out at reduced resolution. Details can be found on page 16.
"""""""""""""

From the Oppo UDP-203 User Manual:

"""""""""""""
NOTE
o Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial/optical audio output, and the high resolution audio on DVD-Audio and Blu-ray discs will be sent out at reduced resolution. Details can be found on page 16.
"""""""""""""
Well shit!
:LOL:

This is the full note on page 16 of Oppo 203 User Manual:

"""""""""""""""""""""""
NOTE
o
Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus,
Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through
the coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio
track will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality,
please use the HDMI connection if you have a receiver that handles HDMI audio (see page
12) or use the multi-channel analog outputs if you do not (see page 15).
o Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical
digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.
o Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVD-Audio
discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to DVDAudio
in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.
""""""""""""""""""""""

I know that Hi-res formats are almost indistinguishable from CD-audio 16/44.1 to many of our ears, for a good master. But we always like the feeling of playing at the highest possible resolution.

So I wonder if it would be a good upgrade for future Surround Master Version to have also an HDMI input. Even an HDMI output also.

How much processing is done inside Surround Master in the analogue or in the digital domain? Could the addition of good ADC/DAC make the product much more expensive?

I know that Hi-res formats are almost indistinguishable from CD-audio 16/44.1 to many of our ears, for a good master. But we always like the feeling of playing at the highest possible resolution.

So I wonder if it would be a good upgrade for future Surround Master Version to have also an HDMI input. Even an HDMI output also.

How much processing is done inside Surround Master in the analogue or in the digital domain? Could the addition of good ADC/DAC make the product much more expensive?
If I remember correctly Chucky said the HDMI licensing fee is exorbitant, and then there is the joy of the <expletive> HDCP (copy protection) - which has caught me out, in that my 2019 NUC can't talk to my 2013 AV Amp!

Time to get out the ripper.

That's why I got the RME ADI Pro FS.... I use it as a tape deck on my preamp. It records the analog and plays back the music in my network.

I also use a Nuforce HDP4 as a DAC for the Android Tablet I use to stream Tidal HiFi. So, I play Tidal music and record it with the RME.

It sounds crazy, but it works. I have thought about buying an RME ADI DAC... The more lights, cables, switches, plugs and wires the better.... I think?

I used to record DVD-As a while back, mostly just LP rips, and my old car had a DVD-A, but that's all dead now.

Back