Symbion Project - Misery in Soliloquy (quad surround + stereo cd)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MultiCh Flac please Kasson!? :p
I'm in line with my readies whenever you're ready..! :D

(oh yeah, can you go a little bit steady on the low end this time please, maybe.. :yikes ..I know you're a bass fiend though, at least I'll know to maybe lower my sub's volume a bit before diving into your next wonderful surround music production.. cannot wait to hear it, love what you did so far in surround with Misery In Soliloquy! :worthy ..thanks for doing more in surround! :upthumb )

Edit: I should clarify about the bass thing before anyone thinks I'm having a dig at Kasson.. this may be a peculiar thing to my REL, i don't know if other subs can be or are advised to be run in such a way but in the setup book REL advises to run both the LFE via single phono cable from your receiver/processor to the line level input on the sub AND the high level input run from the 3-wire Neutrik Speakon connection (**) simultaneously, which means in the subwoofer you get the LFE as usual plus any bass that your fronts cannot handle if you set your AVR or pre to "Large" for the fronts.. now this is just the way my REL is setup (as they recommend) and it may mean that is why my sub sometimes bottoms out as it did with this DVD (blowing the fuse! haha! POOF! :D ) even though the Symbion Project DVD has no dedicated LFE channel.. ah where would we be without these techno peculiarities..!? :eek:

(** For anyone unfamiliar with such a 'high level' subwoofer connection, the other end of the Neutrik Speakon cable in this case terminates into 3 wires, one yellow, one red and one black.. you connect the red and yellow wires to each of the "+" Front L & R speaker connections respectively and the black to the "-" Front Right speaker terminal, ensuring you have those speaker outs set to "Large" or Full Range.. its quirky but it works.. especially good for music or anything without a dedicated sub channel that sounds a bit whimpy if your speakers or amp aren't quite upto low end snuff imho.. anyhoo.. back to the Symbion Project! :upthumb )

Hi Kasson,

A 4.0 FLAC is fine by me, I can either stream it from my NAS or burn a DVD-A/BD-A from it. Looking forward to it, so let us know when you want some cash from us all!

Cheers

Duncan

Thanks all for the positive response, enthusiasm, and help! very much appreciated.
So I will definitely look into support multichannel FLAC (4.0) along with the 4 wav file options. Sounds like this should cover the majority of people out there that can support non-media playback.
The first song has been finished, but it's early on so I'll hope to have an update in about a month. My Apollo8 multichannel audio interface also crapped the bed so I have to swap it out with a new one which slows me down.

Anyway, hopefully an update soon! It feels great to be mixing in surround again.

cheers, kasson

Thanks all for the positive response, enthusiasm, and help! very much appreciated.
So I will definitely look into support multichannel FLAC (4.0) along with the 4 wav file options. Sounds like this should cover the majority of people out there that can support non-media playback.
The first song has been finished, but it's early on so I'll hope to have an update in about a month. My Apollo8 multichannel audio interface also crapped the bed so I have to swap it out with a new one which slows me down.

Anyway, hopefully an update soon! It feels great to be mixing in surround again.

cheers, kasson

Awww yiss! Take all the time you need, man :) We're ready when you are!

cheers, kasson

Misery in Soliloquy is a recent favorite here. I like hard copy product, but would support a download only option with a purchase. Thanks for the great music and mixes!

Hello all ~ I've got a special request of those of you who are interested and have been so helpful!

I've made good progress on Quad version of Arcadian and before I get to the final stages I wanted to complete a song and have this group help me test it for correct formatting.
Here are links to a single song, in 2 formats, that I'd love to get feedback on. This will of course help me with the rest of the mixes which are all about 80% complete.
If you could download one or the other and let me know if all is sounding decent that'd be huge!

Format 1:
- 4 channel wav file
- 24bit, 44.1KHz
- Channel layout: 1)Front Left, 2)Front Right, 3)Rear Left, 4) Rear Right
https://www.dropbox.com/s/orvz43nmaul729s/SYMBION PROJECT_ARCADIAN QUAD.wav?dl=0

Format 2:
- 6 channel (5.1) FLAC
- 24bit, 44.1KHz, Level 5 encoding
- Channel layout: 1)Front Left, 2)Front Right, 3) Center [silent], 4) LFE [silent], 5)Rear Left, 6) Rear Right
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq5d7yqo6eyn66l/SYMBION PROJECT_ARCADIAN 6chan.flac?dl=0

So the main things for me are the following:
1. Are the channel assignments correct?
2. Is 44.1KHz ok or should either or both of the formats be at 48KHz? Everything was recorded/mixed at 44.1/24bit fwiw.
3. Is 24bit good or do I have to knock them down to 16bit?
4. How is the overall mastering? There were some comments for the Misery album that it was mastered too hot, so for this master I've gone more conservative which should prevent distortion and preserve dynamic range.

Lastly, for the 5.1 FLAC version I'll be doing the final encode at Level 8 instead of 5 for optimal conversion.

Thanks all for your support and help!

Kasson
www.symbionproject.com

Hi, i'm not sure I'll be much help here but first I have to say I enjoyed listening to the song, I love the way it builds and I like the 'Dalek' voice too. and the way the synth moves around. My Oppo didn't like the Wav and wouldn't play it but Media Player Classic on the computer was ok with it. I'm not sure if you have the channel assignment right, but they do sound different to me and I prefer the quad, it may be the way I'm listening to them from Oppo and Computer, but both through the same amp and speakers' anyway good work, I look forward to hearing more. Hopefully some one else will be along soon to give a more technical view. Cheers.

Had a listen on you tube to some of the Misery in Soliloquy tracks and on the strength of that I've ordered the DVD :mad:@: shipping to the UK, hope I've given enough, slightly less than I paid to Birdsong at Morning for A Slight Departure but more than the $10 asked for.:)

Hello all ~ I've got a special request of those of you who are interested and have been so helpful!

I've made good progress on Quad version of Arcadian and before I get to the final stages I wanted to complete a song and have this group help me test it for correct formatting.
Here are links to a single song, in 2 formats, that I'd love to get feedback on. This will of course help me with the rest of the mixes which are all about 80% complete.
If you could download one or the other and let me know if all is sounding decent that'd be huge!

Format 1:
- 4 channel wav file
- 24bit, 44.1KHz
- Channel layout: 1)Front Left, 2)Front Right, 3)Rear Left, 4) Rear Right
https://www.dropbox.com/s/orvz43nmaul729s/SYMBION PROJECT_ARCADIAN QUAD.wav?dl=0

Format 2:
- 6 channel (5.1) FLAC
- 24bit, 44.1KHz, Level 5 encoding
- Channel layout: 1)Front Left, 2)Front Right, 3) Center [silent], 4) LFE [silent], 5)Rear Left, 6) Rear Right
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq5d7yqo6eyn66l/SYMBION PROJECT_ARCADIAN 6chan.flac?dl=0

So the main things for me are the following:
1. Are the channel assignments correct?
2. Is 44.1KHz ok or should either or both of the formats be at 48KHz? Everything was recorded/mixed at 44.1/24bit fwiw.
3. Is 24bit good or do I have to knock them down to 16bit?
4. How is the overall mastering? There were some comments for the Misery album that it was mastered too hot, so for this master I've gone more conservative which should prevent distortion and preserve dynamic range.

Lastly, for the 5.1 FLAC version I'll be doing the final encode at Level 8 instead of 5 for optimal conversion.

Kasson
www.symbionproject.com

This is exciting! Thanks, Kasson, I'll definitely be checking this out and will post some thoughts, but it's going to have to wait until the weekend!

Had a listen on you tube to some of the Misery in Soliloquy tracks and on the strength of that I've ordered the DVD :mad:@: shipping to the UK, hope I've given enough, slightly less than I paid to Birdsong at Morning for A Slight Departure but more than the $10 asked for.:)

You'll find that it's well worth the price. It's a terrific mix and it gives the songs so much more depth. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. :)

Thanks Kassoon. The track sounds very good, a nice envelopping mix. I could not play the wav files from my NAS, only the FLAC. An Oppo problem I guess.

If the channel assignment is correct I do not know, but from how it sounds it makes sense the way it is.

Actually listening to Misery now, it has been a while :)

Hey! thanks for the feedback and for picking up Misery on CD/DVD ~ just got shipped out! the support is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the feedback Robert ~ and glad to hear a return to Misery was in order :) !!

Thanks Kassoon. The track sounds very good, a nice envelopping mix. I could not play the wav files from my NAS, only the FLAC. An Oppo problem I guess.

If the channel assignment is correct I do not know, but from how it sounds it makes sense the way it is.

Actually listening to Misery now, it has been a while :)

Now, that's great news! Just downloaded the Flac and it sounds awesome (on a 5.0 system). Will definitely buy the album.

Kasson
www.symbionproject.com

Hey Kasson,

I downloaded these right away and have finally gotten around to them. Sadly neither of them play through my Oppo BDP-95. It is a slightly older machine, but I routinely play multichannel flacs so I know it can - these just will not cooperate. I would really love to help with your project, but our technologies are misaligned. So sorry!

Kasson, this is an awesome song and I very much enjoyed listening to it. In terms of sound quality, you hit the nail on the head again. The dynamics are great and the song is very present.

I'm one of those pesky "if you have 6 channels, just use them all" people, so I just went straight for the 5.1 FLAC. I enjoyed the mix a whole lot, but yeah, if you want to throw some stuff into the center, I won't say no :) It's, of course, an artistic choice and we all know how effective quad can be, so I can say for sure that *not* having a center wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the song (and I'm sure the album) in any way.

Thanks for trying it out and sorry to hear it wasn't working for you. So far I think you've been the sole person with issues on the FLAC. Do you think you'd be able to post a FLAC file that does work for you and send me the link?
That way I could disassemble it or look for differences from what I was posting. if not, no worries... I'll think about this a bit more. Since DVD standard is 48K perhaps it's because my FLAC is 44.1?

Hey Kasson,

I downloaded these right away and have finally gotten around to them. Sadly neither of them play through my Oppo BDP-95. It is a slightly older machine, but I routinely play multichannel flacs so I know it can - these just will not cooperate. I would really love to help with your project, but our technologies are misaligned. So sorry!

Back