Tears for Fears Tipping Point Blu Ray audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And finally the confirmation that the stereo mastering was done for phone speakers. :mad:(n) This is why I knew I needed the Blu-Ray.
Anything else related to the specifics is conjecture; your attributing poor decisions to SDE has less basis in facts than any comments thanking them for making this happen.
Being able to read Paul's post and citing it does not make one a SDE apologist.
The problem is that Paul likes to twist words around. I've learned not to trust him anymore. He's been gaslighting people on several occasions, like this: Real and fake signatures | The Tears For Fears Connection

We do not know if it wouldn't have been possible to widen the scope of the limited releases. We do know that other labels are able to sell a standalone blu-ray or put it into a smart package (digipak) with a CD. Other labels are also able to put together a deluxe version with all the songs for the real fans ("Let It All Evolve" is one of the best songs on the album and yet not readily available in Europe and the UK). The real kicker for me was that me criticizing the label of not being able to sort this out themselves was interpreted by Paul as an attack on SDE. He villainized me for this, and that kind of behaviour shows that he's not being honest. He wants to be seen as a saviour without appreciating that his proposed solution came with a lot of hassle / a regular release available in other countries than the UK would've been positive for more fans. If he really has that much influence, surely he could have come up with a more ambitious plan that would e.g. involve mail-orders in other countries. But nope, gotta have the clout of being the exclusive vendor. Do you realize what's going on here?

It's not quite "We're only in it for the money" but there is a massive conflict of interest that's become hard to ignore. I don't fault Paul for getting an exclusive like the Go West set - a signed print is nice to have but hardly essential.
Do you honestly think somebody else was going to release this if SDE didn’t? Like who? The label? :LOL: I’d love to hear the names of some likely suspects.

It’s 2022. Those three previous surround legacy album releases were light-years ago in digital physical disc years. Almost nobody is doing physical releases of surround mixes these days. And the few who are still doing them are doing them as parts of big legacy boxes sets, not standalone surround releases of new music.
Get your facts straight. In what universe was The Seeds of Love from 2020, repressed last year, "light-years ago"? (Light years are a measure of distance, not time, btw, and there were only two previous surround releases!)

I'm pretty sure I already explained to you that Marillion managed to get a blu-ray out in addition to putting the surround mix of An Hour Before It's Dark on a CD/DVD edition and their own ultimate box set. Consider that the label is Edel, a much smaller company... you get the drift. And Steven Wilson has been offering his own albums on standalone blu-rays for a while now. All this without "oooh, limited, grab it before it's gone" and without tax issues slowing delivery and adding copious costs. Now a counter-argument can be made that Marillion's 5.1 probably doesn't appear on streaming services - I get that. But then again, neither does Steven's 5.1 of TTP, only the Atmos.

The fact that a lot of bonus material of limited or deluxe editions does not appear on streaming services (the three TFF bonus tracks are a case in point, but also a lot of the Jethro Tull bonus material springs to mind) doesn't seem to gel with your "ownership is being phased out" mantra.

We can be happy that this album was released and that the editions happened, but still concerned that this is not sustainable and that it shouldn't be encouraged to be carried out in such a suboptimal manner. (FWIW even Paul admitted that he's learnt from this episode, so there.)

Consider this a Mod Warning. This thread keeps derailing into discussion of limited releases, greedy record labels, SDE drama and other such nonsense that is not on topic. The thread here is about Tears For Fears, the Tipping Point blu ray release. It's not a place to complain about the nature of limited editions, ripping streaming service content or anything else not closely related to the Tipping Point blu ray album.

Hm. So now on a new day with fresh ears, different weather, different... socks? I'm doing more focused A/B between the stream and the BD and not finding it as different as I did the other day. But I maintain that the heights seem more active on the BD. The stream sounds dang great, though—no denying that. I think I'm gonna be OK.

Consider this a Mod Warning. This thread keeps derailing into discussion of limited releases, greedy record labels, SDE drama and other such nonsense that is not on topic. The thread here is about Tears For Fears, the Tipping Point blu ray release. It's not a place to complain about the nature of limited editions, ripping streaming service content or anything else not closely related to the Tipping Point blu ray album.
Well, the complete text of the first post in this thread, and I quote…

On SDE only 2,000 copies available - order now if you want one.

So, maybe not so much a “derailed” thread as starting out on the wrong foot. 😁

Sorry, just teasing. Back to the music… had my first listen of a few tracks on Apple Music the other day. Was never familiar with Tears for Fears beyond really liking their hits, but I enjoyed this new album and the Atmos mix and look forward to listening more.

Did any of you guys get news on the waitlist and glitch orders?
Nothing on my end yet but I remember someone here got a reply from Anne saying it should happen this week.

Did any of you guys get news on the waitlist and glitch orders?
Nothing on my end yet but I remember someone here got a reply from Anne saying it should happen this week.
No word here on the wait list. I’ve been checking my junk mail periodically to make sure I haven’t missed anything.

Even though Anne seemed optimistic at the time, I thought it was going to be a long shot.

No word here on the wait list. I’ve been checking my junk mail periodically to make sure I haven’t missed anything.

Even though Anne seemed optimistic at the time, I thought it was going to be a long shot.
That was me. But I didn’t receive an update either.
Could they really still be shipping the day 1 orders three weeks on? Weird, maybe they're waiting for any damaged/ missing packages to fulfil those first. They did send out the glitch orders for the SDE CD weeks ago, though..

For those who missed out on the blu-ray, I just spotted this in the comments section of SDE's new xPropaganda announcement:

1647747550367.png

Second story in SDE’s Saturday Deluxe has Paul gauging interest in possibilities for another run:
https://superdeluxeedition.com/feature/saturday-deluxe-19-march-2022/
Paul’s asking for votes and comments on the “possibilities” for a second run and if it happens; how it should be different as to contents and looks. (Sounds like to primarily get more folks the Atmos mix.) The comments so far seem to overwhelmingly support some kind of 2nd release but with added material like an un-crushed stereo mix (as one example.)

So if you missed out, I’d recommend contributing your two cents on this!

I’ve read all those comments this morning on SDE and saw a few on how fast The Tipping Point sold out with Paul stating it was within 24 hours. I didn’t see the email about the limited release until I woke up approximately 5 hours later, (here in California) went to his store, and it was sold out already. Supposedly, I purchased a copy during the so-called glitch (not quite sure what that means) on February 15. I never received an email stating it was an order mistake on SDE’s part nor did I ever receive a shipping notice or PayPal refund. Me thinks I should start charging them interest on collection of funds without a product.

I’ve read all those comments this morning on SDE and saw a few on how fast The Tipping Point sold out with Paul stating it was within 24 hours. I didn’t see the email about the limited release until I woke up approximately 5 hours later, (here in California) went to his store, and it was sold out already. Supposedly, I purchased a copy during the so-called glitch (not quite sure what that means) on February 15. I never received an email stating it was an order mistake on SDE’s part nor did I ever receive a shipping notice or PayPal refund. Me thinks I should start charging them interest on collection of funds without a product.
There's a couple people here, myself included, who managed to place an order on Feb 15 before the glitch was remedied (whether the additional stock was from cancellations or a genuine glitch, who knows).
Last we heard from SDE, this was supposed be resolved this week, one way or another (they might have some left over copies), which obviously isn't going to happen with just 3 hours left.. I'm sure you can request a refund, it was already offered to those who didn't want to wait for a possible resolution this week.

There's a couple people here, myself included, who managed to place an order on Feb 15 before the glitch was remedied (whether the additional stock was from cancellations or a genuine glitch, who knows).
Last we heard from SDE, this was supposed be resolved this week, one way or another (they might have some left over copies), which obviously isn't going to happen with just 3 hours left.. I'm sure you can request a refund, it was already offered to those who didn't want to wait for a possible resolution this week.
That is the reason why I was holding out on contacting them but it still would have been ‘Professional’ to have the courtesy to let people know either way. I was charged by Parallax Studios Limited. So, I sure hope that is their store front charging system.

Reactions: PK
Paul’s asking for votes and comments on the “possibilities” for a second run and if it happens; how it should be different as to contents and looks. (Sounds like to primarily get more folks the Atmos mix.) The comments so far seem to overwhelmingly support some kind of 2nd release but with added material like an un-crushed stereo mix (as one example.)

The vote right now is overwhemingly (~60/40) in favor of simply releasing more of the original release, NOT some kind of 2nd release with the atmos release but with different added material.

I personally have zero interest in a blu-ray which supplements the (already available) atmos mix with the (already available) crappy stereo mix/mastering and/or some/all of the (already available) bonus tracks.

Also I do NOT see anywhere that SDE indicates - or even implies - a stereo mix/mastering, if included, would or could be any different than what is also available in 24/44 on streaming platforms/download. Where do you see this?

An instrumental mix might be interesting (as long as it stays unique to such a blu-ray), but I’d still much prefer getting the 5.1 mix.

Last edited:

Now it's overwhelmingly a majority for just pressing more of the original release - which is what I voted for, even though I have a copy of the blu-ray audio. That should make all the scalpers trying to unload their copies for $250 nervous!

Now it's overwhelmingly a majority for just pressing more of the original release - which is what I voted for, even though I have a copy of the blu-ray audio. That should make all the scalpers trying to unload their copies for $250 nervous!
If another 500 copies would make scalpers nervous then there really isn’t that much demand.

Back