Tears for Fears Tipping Point Blu Ray audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just the three singles that have recently been released in Atmos on Apple and Tidal, the rest is coming no earlier than Feb 25 I'm guessing.
Also to my understanding, there will be no dedicated 5.1 outside the Bluray disc - the 5.1 referred is a downmix from the Atmos stream. Please correct me if I am wrong in this.

Also to my understanding, there will be no dedicated 5.1 outside the Bluray disc - the 5.1 referred is a downmix from the Atmos stream. Please correct me if I am wrong in this.
That's right, the streaming files have a 5.1 core from which certain objects are extracted to the height speakers if you're Atmos-capable. How different, if any, listening to that 5.1 core is from a dedicated 5.1 mix, I've no idea.

Hoping to get one of the later released blu-rays- was undergoing knee replacement surgery on the 11th when they went on sale and missed the chance!

I have contacted SDE and they have put me on a waiting list. Good to know about the Tidal streams, will check them out,

So, judging by this conversation, 5.1 album mixes will be released earlier if they're being streamed, is that right? And so it's going to become a trend that we will first hear from streamers about how good a 5.1 mix is? Or am I getting this completely wrong and you're just talking about the two songs that have come out on youtube so far (albeit, the 5.1 mixes of them)?
5.1 mixes on youtube?

That's right, the streaming files have a 5.1 core from which certain objects are extracted to the height speakers if you're Atmos-capable. How different, if any, listening to that 5.1 core is from a dedicated 5.1 mix, I've no idea.
Atmos mixes on Apple Music are streamed as 7.1 PCM, not 5.1. It’s up to your receiver and your speaker settings how that gets downmixed.

I‘m not sure you are right.

Take a look at this pre release…it seems that all songs will be Atmos when the album finally will be released:
https://music.apple.com/de/album/palaces/1606859432
I’m not seeing anything one way or the other at your link.

As I said - all of TFF songs aren’t atmos yet. They’re nothing right now, i.e. not atmos. When the album is released - and if all song titles are atmos - then the Atmos emblem will get added.

Splitting hairs, yes. But that’s what Apple is doing.

Atmos mixes on Apple Music are streamed as 7.1 PCM, not 5.1. It’s up to your receiver and your speaker settings how that gets downmixed.
They're streamed as 5.1 eac3 with object data, below's The Tipping Point (the song), actually.
PCM is just output from the Apple tv device (for non-Atmos receivers I believe).

Audio
ID : 1
Format : E-AC-3 JOC
Format/Info : Enhanced AC-3 with Joint Object Coding
Commercial name : Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID : ec-3
Duration : 4 min 11 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 768 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 23.0 MiB (100%)
Service kind : Complete Main
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 2
Encoded date : UTC 2022-02-02 02:40:18
Tagged date : UTC 2022-02-02 02:40:18
Complexity index : 16
Number of dynamic objects : 15
Bed channel count: 1 channel
Bed channel configuration: LFE

I wonder if the bonus tracks are eventually also going to appear in Atmos despite not being included on the Blu-Ray. A bit like what happened with the bonus cuts on Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder...

Also, there's a livestream with the band coming up, followed by the premiere of the "Break the Man" video:

They're streamed as 5.1 eac3 with object data, below's The Tipping Point (the song), actually.
PCM is just output from the Apple tv device (for non-Atmos receivers I believe).

Audio
ID : 1
Format : E-AC-3 JOC
Format/Info : Enhanced AC-3 with Joint Object Coding
Commercial name : Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID : ec-3
Duration : 4 min 11 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 768 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 23.0 MiB (100%)
Service kind : Complete Main
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 2
Encoded date : UTC 2022-02-02 02:40:18
Tagged date : UTC 2022-02-02 02:40:18
Complexity index : 16
Number of dynamic objects : 15
Bed channel count: 1 channel
Bed channel configuration: LFE
That's odd. When I stream this it shows as 7.1 on my pre pro

That's odd. When I stream this it shows as 7.1 on my pre pro
I'm guessing you're getting that from your Apple TV? In that case that's the non-Atmos output format of the device, the streamed source is the e-ac3 file I posted earlier which gets decoded to PCM for non-atmos receivers.
In any case, lossless Atmos would be 7.1 TrueHD (plus object data), not PCM, which i don't think any streaming service is offering right now.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're getting that from your Apple TV? In that case that's the non-Atmos output format of the device, the streamed source is the e-ac3 file I posted earlier which gets decoded to PCM for non-atmos receivers.
In any case, lossless Atmos would be 7.1 TrueHD (plus object data), not PCM, which i don't think any streaming service is offering right now.
So as I wrote earlier, it’s sent from the Apple TV to Atmos AND non-atmos receivers as lossless 24/48 7.1 PCM with the atmos metadata embedded - albeit converted/upsampled from a lossy source.

So as I wrote earlier, it’s sent from the Apple TV to Atmos AND non-atmos receivers as lossless 24/48 7.1 PCM with the atmos metadata embedded - albeit converted/upsampled from a lossy source.
Sure, if we're talking about output. Thought you meant the streamed file, which is only 5.1 DD+.

And you're right, it's PCM for both Atmos and non-Atmos receivers.
I thought it only does the decoding for non-Atmos ones but it looks like it always decodes the 5.1 DD+ streams to PCM.

Last edited:
Back