Ten Years After - A space in Time (2012 4.1 Release!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe we should begin to lobbying for full DVDA?
this album really was done in quad very well.
hey wavelength, where those your contact from EMI and email address, we have used for "Aqualung"?
also maybe Neil can offer them good deal for the DVDA authoring.
We wrote to EMI Canada, they seem to be the only EMI site with a contact form. Just wrote them a message under the Catalog Suggestions. Not sure if I will receive an answer though.

If I read it right, the CD looks to have the "quad mix", which might use the SQ masters. Does that sound right? Nektar did that with a couple of their CD reissues.

Today Amazon.de updated the info. The titles are now listed as

1973 Quad Mix To 4.1 Dts 96/24 And Dolby Digital

Price is EUR 20.99 incl. the vinyl. So its a no-brainer -> pre-ordered.

Markus

I was about to say how silly it is to release two packages like that.... a CD or a DVD/LP combo set. But then I thought to myself, I said "Self, you've never played a brand new record, have you?" My reply was "once". (It was a Melissa Manchester CD-4) But if this is pressed on a high quality vinyl, what the hell.... I don't get to enjoy an experience like that very often. Would be neat if it's also the SQ LP. But then I started to wonder how many folks are in the same boat as I without ever hearing virgin vinyl before. I hope this sells well enough to kickstart more Quad releases.

The Amazon.co.uk site says "unavailable".

I pre-ordered it from the German Amazon site. They list it as still available. It shows it as "vinyl" but the detailed description at the bottom shows two discs including the DTS quad version. The price is somewhat less than shown because they deduct the VAT for orders going to the US.

I pre-ordered from Amazon.ca, and I hope it is the right one. As usual, the web site description is pretty light on the details. CDN$44 with tax and free shipping in Canada, so not too bad. It might be a bit more than the German site, but it will arrive in a day or two, with no chance of having to pay customs duty.

I bought the Audio Fidelity gold CD a few months ago, and it is still sealed. If the quality of the new one is good, I can always sell the gold version to make up some of the cash ... although I DO love this album, so I will probably keep it. How sad is that?

EDIT: When I looked into the German site, it actually came to a total of CDN$34 with shipping. I always forget that they include the VAT in their posted prices, and they deduct that for foreign shipments. At ten bucks cheaper though, I will take the chance of getting nabbed for tax and duty (which would be about ten bucks if they do snag it).

I would assume that the Stereo/Quad mix is SQ, but it's not stated clearly, I wouldn't want the quad mix simply folded down to stereo. It would be nice if the DVD and CD's came together and also would be nice if the LP was SQ encoded but I doubt it. Why not include two LP's one stereo the other SQ? I don't mind paying a relatively high price for Quad. Record companies put it out and I'll buy it!

I would be highly surprised (and pleased) to find that the LP will be SQ encoded. What percentage of people who own a turntable know what SQ is, let alone have the ability to decode it properly? I'm sure that a high percentage of QQ members do. I have four of the beasts. Of course, it couldn't be three or five. lol!!

I would assume that the Stereo/Quad mix is SQ, but it's not stated clearly, I wouldn't want the quad mix simply folded down to stereo. It would be nice if the DVD and CD's came together and also would be nice if the LP was SQ encoded but I doubt it. Why not include two LP's one stereo the other SQ? I don't mind paying a relatively high price for Quad. Record companies put it out and I'll buy it!

I bought the Audio Fidelity gold CD a few months ago, and it is still sealed. If the quality of the new one is good, I can always sell the gold version to make up some of the cash ... although I DO love this album, so I will probably keep it. How sad is that?
You may want to sell that AF now. I just sold mine (used) on Amazon. Went pretty quick at $23.99. AF is going to be pressing more of these soon, so the time to sell is now.

Especially after they did that ELO one the correct way. I was hoping that would be the new trend.

Yeah - the ELO was almost perfect... (apart form not being a DVD-A)

Especially after they did that ELO one the correct way. I was hoping that would be the new trend.

totally agree! it sounded great too (regardless of "just" being DTS!).

if all future quad re-releases HAD to be done the way of the recent EMI Gentle Giant & ELO sets, you wouldn't hear me complaining..!

Hi-Res would be preferable obviously but any flavour of DTS wipes the floor with Dolby Digital, so I'd settle for a CD + DTS DVD combo over a Dolby D DVD, or some needless vinyl combo - ultimately though it's all better than nothing!

Can't wait for this one! Thanks for the info in the 1st place rusinurbe! :D

Last edited:
We already have the columbia reels, they are not going to release anything better.

You mean the multi-generation 7.5 ips dub? Come on, I think the pros could potentially release something better directly from the quad masters. I'd hate to think some hobbyists whose goals are to spread interest to inspire official releases, would cause lesser sales of those releases they were hoping to inspire.

I guess the one i have is lots closer to the source. Plus i should have the files columbia sent us for this on the hi8. It is just a Who fucking cares, something again i have heard a 1000 times with a damn good transfer. Rather see some new surround from some artists who have finally figured out the whole surround thing and go back to do their material.

Back