The Band - Music From Big Pink (50th Anniversary CD/Blu-Ray/2LP/7" Deluxe Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't even aware of it until now. Just when I think I knew everything...

I'm going to have to really think about this title...after reading some comments on the poll thread...the fact that people are commenting on the hiss concerns me...my concern is not with the hiss...it's what a modern mastering might do to eliminate it...which means crushing the dynamic range...something I hate...and the most disturbing thing is the evaluation of THE WEIGHT...my favorite song and the reason I want the title....

I'm going to have to really think about this title...after reading some comments on the poll thread...the fact that people are commenting on the hiss concerns me...my concern is not with the hiss...it's what a modern mastering might do to eliminate it...which means crushing the dynamic range...something I hate...and the most disturbing thing is the evaluation of THE WEIGHT...my favorite song and the reason I want the title....

Those are good points. The polls didn't leave me feeling too optimistic about this one.

Hopefully this Bob Clearmountain dude knows what he's doing. I'm not sure if I have any mixes from him...

Hopefully this Bob Clearmountain dude knows what he's doing. I'm not sure if I have any mixes from him...

He most certainly does! He hasn't done a lot of 5.1 mixes, but the ones that he has done are excellent. Roxy Music's Avalon is one of my all-time faves. Here's a list (from fredblue's excellent surround sound producers list) of titles that Clearmountain has mixed.

Bon Jovi - Bounce (SACD)
Bryan Adams - Reckless (BDA)
Bryan Ferry - Boys & Girls (SACD)
Bryan Ferry - Frantic (DVDA, SACD)
NeilFinn and Paul Kelly - Going Your Way (BDMV)
Bob Marley - Legend 30th Anniversary (BDA)
The Corrs - Unplugged (DVD)
Dido - Live At Brixton Academy (DVD)
Roxy Music - Avalon (SACD)

Bob Clearmountain is generally considered to be the best mixing engineer in the business, and he has an impressive 5.1 Surround pedigree!

(“Avalon”, “Boys & Girls”, “Legend”, “Reckless”, etc.)

:)

He most certainly does! He hasn't done a lot of 5.1 mixes, but the ones that he has done are excellent. Roxy Music's Avalon is one of my all-time faves. Here's a list (from fredblue's excellent surround sound producers list) of titles that Clearmountain has mixed.

Bon Jovi - Bounce (SACD)
Bryan Adams - Reckless (BDA)
Bryan Ferry - Boys & Girls (SACD)
Bryan Ferry - Frantic (DVDA, SACD)
NeilFinn and Paul Kelly - Going Your Way (BDMV)
Bob Marley - Legend 30th Anniversary (BDA)
The Corrs - Unplugged (DVD)
Dido - Live At Brixton Academy (DVD)
Roxy Music - Avalon (SACD)
Bob Clearmountain is generally considered to be the best mixing engineer in the business, and he has an impressive 5.1 Surround pedigree!

(“Avalon”, “Boys & Girls”, “Legend”, “Reckless”, etc.)

:)

Yup, have none of those so I will look into them. Thanks!

Those are good points. The polls didn't leave me feeling too optimistic about this one.

If there is a concern about Bob...it's Bob Ludwig....not Clearmountain….at times Ludwig has done some work that I would consider "bright"...and this is the kind of tape situation(with the hiss)that some would "over" process it...he's done a lot of good work too....but consider this...the DVD-A was done 15 years ago and the tapes weren't in great shape then...and it's only a 4 track source....so a few question marks for me...and the inclusion of the vinyl in this set is causing me a lot of doubt...

Nothing I've read so far about this release states the resolution of the 5.1.
I haven't listened in a long time but the DVD-A doesn't bring to mind a bad release.
At least with DVD-A you knew is was hi-res 2-channel & 5.1.
Now it's a bloody crap shoot.

Not happy about the all-inclusive release but if it turns out great, I'll be all over it.
A reference version of The Weight alone is worth the price.

Nothing I've read so far about this release states the resolution of the 5.1.
I haven't listened in a long time but the DVD-A doesn't bring to mind a bad release.
At least with DVD-A you knew is was hi-res 2-channel & 5.1.
Now it's a bloody crap shoot.

Not happy about the all-inclusive release but if it turns out great, I'll be all over it.
A reference version of The Weight alone is worth the price.

Is there any reason to think this isn't high-res? I mean, has there actually ever been a lossy bluray audio release? :unsure: I'd say if it's DVD then it's certainly a crapshoot.

Import CDs now has it listed for $86.93

Deep Discount also has it listed for $103.71. (Today only, Deep Discount has a 15% off sale -promo code SUMMER15 - that brings this down to $88.15.)

That makes it about the same price as amazonUK for me....since both importcds and deepdiscount charge me tax...I really don't have a problem with the price....under $100....but the vinyl inclusion really bothers me...I've already mentioned it in this thread...at the rate I'm gong I'm going to have a vinyl collection that I don't want...it does little to help me with my disc elimination project...converting to drives if I'm going to keep buying these sets with vinyl....the other concern is that the tapes were bad when they produced the DVD-A 15 years ago...and it's a 4 track source...I have my order in at amazon UK....but I have to think this one out...

That makes it about the same price as amazonUK for me....since both importcds and deepdiscount charge me tax...I really don't have a problem with the price....under $100....but the vinyl inclusion really bothers me...I've already mentioned it in this thread...at the rate I'm gong I'm going to have a vinyl collection that I don't want...it does little to help me with my disc elimination project...converting to drives if I'm going to keep buying these sets with vinyl....the other concern is that the tapes were bad when they produced the DVD-A 15 years ago...and it's a 4 track source...I have my order in at amazon UK....but I have to think this one out...

Clint, the inclusion of vinyl always turns me OFF. First and foremost, I'd wait for reviews and those who DO have the MLP DVD~A can comment on the NEW [?] remix and BD~A SQ.

And I know you'll be pulling your hair out when a few months down the road Amazon Wherehouse deals has a 1/2 price blow~out sale....which, YOU know it WILL!

BTW, on MY system, the DVD~A sounds marvelous so I really don't feel a need to upgrade unless [FAT chance] it's released as a stand alone BD~A.

Last edited:
On August 31, Capitol Records will celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Music From Big Pink (which is home to “The Weight”, and the haunting cover of “I Shall Be Released”). With the reissue, the album will be presented in a Super Deluxe package with not a remaster but a REMIX of the original album. In addition to that, a 5.1 Surround mix will be included as well as Hi-Res Stereo in 96kHz/24-bit.

(Taken from musictap.com )

Back