The Band - Music From Big Pink (50th Anniversary CD/Blu-Ray/2LP/7" Deluxe Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll wait for Amazon's Wherehouse Deal since I already have the fine sounding MLP DVD~A 5.1. NO RUSH here!

Could you comment on the nature of the mix on the old DVD-A? How is it separation-wise? Most voters on the poll thread seem more preoccupied with the fidelity than the mix itself. I've been waiting for a bargain on that disc for a while.

I have the Last Waltz DVD-A and the soundstage tracks are awesome, especially the rendition of "The Weight" with the Staple Singers.

I usually don't spring for these boxes unless I truly love the album (last two I bought were Fleetwood Mac and the new Guns 'n' Roses), but Bob Clearmountain has done some excellent surround mixes so I could be swayed...

Could you comment on the nature of the mix on the old DVD-A? How is it separation-wise?
The mix is pretty bland. Every song has the same vocals in at least 4 and often in all 5 speakers. I guess there is some separation of instruments although it's not that convincing. The rears replicate the fronts.

Really would only like the 5.1BD but as usual ya gotta spring for the whole box to get it. (Deal breaker)

Unfortunately, it seems that more and more surround titles are embedded in big box sets. These sets are great for those who want to do a deep dive into the albums, but they do not court the casual fan who just wants the album in hi-res stereo and/or surround. While I have no interest in this set and even less in the Guns 'n Roses set, I would probably buy both albums if they were available as standalone Blurays. I fear that if these box sets languish on the shelves then we will have another yet dagger plunged into the heart of future surround sound releases.

Unfortunately, it seems that more and more surround titles are embedded in big box sets. These sets are great for those who want to do a deep dive into the albums, but they do not court the casual fan who just wants the album in hi-res stereo and/or surround. While I have no interest in this set and even less in the Guns 'n Roses set, I would probably buy both albums if they were available as standalone Blurays. I fear that if these box sets languish on the shelves then we will have another yet dagger plunged into the heart of future surround sound releases.

I think the days of the standalone are pretty much over....at least for the main stream bands...I'm sure there will be the occasional title...like the Parsons mix...but with physical media declining.. I can't see the companies investing in the singles...it's been tried and failed...perhaps some old mixes that already exist might be issued...but this G&R title with a new mix was a surprise....and in this case I think the G&R set will do well in sales...especially now... since the word is out on the quality of the surround...more people will jump in on this one...thus making it even less likely that a single would emerge...

This record was the cover story of the first Rolling Stone I bought, age 14, on vacation in San Francisco.
I heard it played on "underground FM radio" for the first time on that trip.
Instant buy for me.

I still have that 50-year-old tabloid.
Look at what else was coming out at that time.
  • Anthem of the Sun (two disc stereo CD deluxe re-issue due Friday the 13th)
  • Nazz
  • Jeff Beck Truth

DSCF3967 (1).jpg

DSCF3963 (1).jpg

DSCF3964 (1).jpg

DSCF3966 (1).jpg

DSCF3965 (1).jpg

This record was the cover story of the first Rolling Stone I bought, age 14, on vacation in San Francisco.
I heard it played on "underground FM radio" for the first time on that trip.
Instant buy for me.

I still have that 50-year-old tabloid.
Look at what else was coming out at that time.
  • Anthem of the Sun (two disc stereo CD deluxe re-issue due Friday the 13th)
  • Nazz
  • Jeff Beck Truth

View attachment 33522

View attachment 33523

View attachment 33524

View attachment 33525

View attachment 33526

Very Cool....one of my buds played with members of the Band...before they were famous...he's been to that house...

Sadly, I actually remember watching Pinky Lee as a little kid. Such simple days (at least on TV ).

If you recall, there were only 2 or 3 channels in Black & White back then. I remember watching Pinky Lee and Howdy Doody on a 13" Dumont TV and even in those halcyon days my mom cautioned me not to sit too close to the TV or I'd go blind, a cautionary tale which followed me through puberty!o_O

Last edited:
I cancelled my order on amazon UK and ordered at this new price from amazon US...BUT...something strange happened...the price breakdown on my email receipt starts out at the current price of $82.94...then the shipping costs(the free shipping option)are removed because it meets the threshold for free shipping and then the strange part...they charge me tax which comes to $5.43...and then they add a discount called "extra savings" for $5.42...just about the amount of the tax...no explanation of what this savings is...but it is strange that it's almost exactly the amount of tax being charged...so my order comes to $82.95...

I will be curious to see if they are doing this to others who are charged tax in their state...if someone that gets charged tax on amazon would try to run this thru the checkout procedure...let me know the results...and you can cancel the order at any time as it's not being released until the end of August...just curious..

Last edited:
Back