The QQ pet & critters thread...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3850.jpg

They love my gut.

I want to make a post about dog eye health and awareness about an eye condition I didn’t even know about. Bodhi was just diagnosed with pannus. It’s an autoimmune eye condition that left untreated will cause blindness. It is completely manageable BUT you have to be aware your dog has it to treat it. It is most common in German shepherds, greyhounds, border collies, cattle dogs, huskies, Australian shepherds, French bulldogs. That said ANY dog any age can get it. It’s genetic and is aggravated by high altitude or prolonged UV exposure. Along with a lifetime of eye medication that hopefully is only a couple times a week after it’s under control, Bodhi will have to wear UV blocking goggles when he’s outside. I just wanted to tell our story so others can make sure their dog’s eye health is always in their mind. Blindness occurs when that red spot covers the entire eye. Medication will reverse and control spread.
41131B48-A8B5-4F4A-8FA2-02C0D96DBFB7.jpeg
59642EAB-C29F-4842-8296-64750F66F82C.jpeg

Bodhi took to his new shades almost immediately.

I want to make a post about dog eye health and awareness about an eye condition I didn’t even know about. Bodhi was just diagnosed with pannus. It’s an autoimmune eye condition that left untreated will cause blindness. It is completely manageable BUT you have to be aware your dog has it to treat it. It is most common in German shepherds, greyhounds, border collies, cattle dogs, huskies, Australian shepherds, French bulldogs. That said ANY dog any age can get it. It’s genetic and is aggravated by high altitude or prolonged UV exposure. Along with a lifetime of eye medication that hopefully is only a couple times a week after it’s under control, Bodhi will have to wear UV blocking goggles when he’s outside. I just wanted to tell our story so others can make sure their dog’s eye health is always in their mind. Blindness occurs when that red spot covers the entire eye. Medication will reverse and control spread.
View attachment 88605View attachment 88606
Bodhi took to his new shades almost immediately.
How sad. I hate to see any dog have any problem.
I hope things work out well once the medicine has had time to work.
Thank you for the public service announcement. For the rest of my life I will look into the eyes of any dog I come in contact with.
Did he accept wearing those goggles or did he freak out?

Bill he seem to accept the goggles after we told him he had to wear them. Bodhi is a very treat motivated dog and very smart. It only took a few days of treating him every time we put the goggles on him. We also showed him mom wears glasses, dad wears glasses, now Bodhi wears glasses. Bodhi only tried to take the goggles off a couple of times the first few days. We told him “no you have to leave those on”. He hasn’t tried to take them off since.
We also started with a clear lens in the goggles to get him used to them. He is still a little subdued when wearing the goggles. We are hoping with time the goggle will become second nature to him.
We love Bodhi so much we would do anything to save his eyesight.
Bodhi has been on eye drops for about a week. The vet said Bodhi’s eyes are clearing up nicely and his right eye is completely clear.
F380B486-FDA7-4BE2-B0A5-F8FF41716AA5.jpeg

Bill he seem to accept the goggles after we told him he had to wear them. Bodhi is a very treat motivated dog and very smart. It only took a few days of treating him every time we put the goggles on him. We also showed him mom wears glasses, dad wears glasses, now Bodhi wears glasses. Bodhi only tried to take the goggles off a couple of times the first few days. We told him “no you have to leave those on”. He hasn’t tried to take them off since.
We also started with a clear lens in the goggles to get him used to them. He is still a little subdued when wearing the goggles. We are hoping with time the goggle will become second nature to him.
We love Bodhi so much we would do anything to save his eyesight.
Bodhi has been on eye drops for about a week. The vet said Bodhi’s eyes are clearing up nicely and his right eye is completely clear.
View attachment 88625

Glad to hear indications are that he's getting better. Dogs are pretty adaptable so hopefully he will be fine with the goggles as time goes by. Maybe if you got him a little cape with a "B" on it to go along with the goggles, he'd think he was a super hero. ;)

Back