The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with many of the thoughts expressed here , and I agree with Blackwood , it would be fun to find out what goes on behind the scenes and how this particular project does come to fruition. I personally try not to put too much thought into it and enjoy the ( Atmos surround) ride , cause who knows it may end just as suddenly as it started …. Like many others before .. less we forget Audio Fidelity , HFPA ..
… and I’m running out of shelf space .. fast ..:)
Again, read the Intervention Records thread over at sh.tv. Lots of inside baseball. A very common issue I've noticed is artist mgmt/labels are very slow to respond (to, say, requests for pricing) or just flat out non-responsive. Then there are the labels which talk, but then put out their own version in Asia or Europe or whatever which cuts into the potential market. And so on...

It's called the music business for a reason (lots of them actually)...

How about some Al DiMeola and Return to Forever. Have found some amazing upmixes but would love the real thing from the studios! And for Prog, what ever happened to a 5.1 of ELP’s Welcome Back My Friends?
...And whatever happened to Gentle Giant Interview & The Missing Piece in Dolby Atmos? Plus, I wonder if there will be any updates soon from Larry Fast on Nektar's Recycled & Tab in the Ocean being mixed in 5.1. I believe at the of the year we should be getting some Fish mixed in Dolby Atmos. There's definitely more prog on the way but I too would be "over the moon" for Camel's Moonmadness in Dolby Atmos. In the meantime, I'm pretty excited about Ten Years After. Thank you Paul

Those asking for more prog and jazz fusion probably need to realize that - for better or worse - the SDE series seems to focus on music that Paul likes. He said some years ago that he never bought an ELP album. Not making a judgement here, just an observation.
Well, that's a crying shame if so. Prog rock and jazz fusion are two of the best modern music genres that can benefit the most from surround mixes. And us old farts who buy discs and lived through the heyday of those genres are the ones with the bucks, the equipment, and still functioning brain cells, to snap them up. Look at how quickly the Ten Years After release sold out, and Wilson's work on the Yes, ELP, and KC catalogues were all profitable, Shirley.

Well, that's a crying shame if so. Prog rock and jazz fusion are two of the best modern music genres that can benefit the most from surround mixes. And us old farts who buy discs and lived through the heyday of those genres are the ones with the bucks, the equipment, and still functioning brain cells, to snap them up. Look at how quickly the Ten Years After release sold out, and Wilson's work on the Yes, ELP, and KC catalogues were all profitable, Shirley.
Tell it Brother!
But yeah, the reality is we have no control other than where we spend our money.

Wilson's work on the Yes, ELP, and KC catalogues were all profitable
And they all happened without SDE's involvement. And I have no reason to assume that there won't be any upcoming surround mixes outside of this series. Wilson himself paved the way forward (although locking the 5.1 of Closure/Continuation into a box set was disappointing). Marillion did a standalone Blu-ray of their last album for the first time. So I don't think prog releases are that dependent on SDE.

I see the SDE initiative as also trying to break into other markets. The Dylan release is a very good example. Then of course, with a certain amount of clout you can push through projects with less commercial appeal. And it isn't like I don't expect any prog to appear in the series. Tears for Fears are rather respected by a sizable number of prog fans and Steven mixing the album added an angle there.

Jazz fusion, well I don't know. Seems less likely with the trajectory of the series so far, but who knows. I haven't been able to predict any of Paul's picks so far.

This one particullary!

Attachments

• john martyn.jpg
    john martyn.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm sorry, what? Apple don't commission Atmos mixes. They have nothing to do with what is and isn't mixed in Atmos. Apple Music simply serve what they are provided.
I don’t image they commission, but I think it’s clear from the Revolver box, that they negotiate exclusives for their Spacial Audio program.

It wouldn’t surprise me to find that SDE is benefiting from forward looking labels and publishers who recognize that for film and TV sync licensing, having the albums already done in Atmos give them an advantage (since they’re increasingly series and films are in surround. In the modern musical landscape the money is in film and TV licensing for a lot of releases. I’d be surprised if the prevalence of surround mixing didn’t grow with that.

I don’t image they commission, but I think it’s clear from the Revolver box, that they negotiate exclusives for their Spacial Audio program.
Considering Tidal (and Amazon I believe) has had Revolver from day one, they aren't very good at "negotiating exclusives". Haha.

Considering Tidal (and Amazon I believe) has had Revolver from day one, they aren't very good at "negotiating exclusives". Haha.
I suppose I was overly specific, but I imagine Parlophone and Beatles got a better financial incentive in making it exclusive to streaming services in general than releasing it would offer. And probably the most from Apple since to play Apple In Atmos you appear to need to buy some Apple hardware.

I suppose I was overly specific, but I imagine Parlophone and Beatles got a better financial incentive in making it exclusive to streaming services in general than releasing it would offer. And probably the most from Apple since to play Apple In Atmos you appear to need to buy some Apple hardware.
Amazon Atmos is hardware exclusive to fire tv devices too I have learned recently.

Amazon Atmos is hardware exclusive to fire tv devices too I have learned recently.

Fortunately it isn’t - I picked up a free month trial of Amazon Music two weeks ago and when I’m listening to an Atmos track I simply hit the “cast” button on my archaic iPhone 8 (where the Amazon Music app is installed), select “Shield”, and immediately my AVR lights up and shows Atmos. Enjoying some tracks of the new Atmos mix of Pearl Jam’s Yield this weekend as well as some Elton’s tracks from Diamonds that have never had a previous surround mix.

I don’t enjoy lossy Atmos enough to pay for it post-trial, but at least I didn’t need any Amazon hardware for it to work.

In fact Himey it was you that alerted me to the fact I could cast to my Shield!
😃

Last edited:
Fortunately it isn’t - I picked up a free month trial of Amazon Music two weeks ago and when I’m listening to an Atmos track I simply hit the “cast” button on my archaic iPhone 8 (where the Amazon Music app is installed), select “Shield”, and immediately my AVR lights up and shows Atmos. Enjoying some tracks of the new Atmos mix of Pearl Jam’s Yield this weekend as well as some Elton’s tracks from Diamonds that have never had a previous surround mix.

I don’t enjoy lossy Atmos enough to pay for it post-trial, but at least I didn’t need any Amazon hardware for it to work.

In fact Himey it was you that alerted me to the fact I could cast to my Shield!
😃
I forgot you can cast it to Google devices. I had the Cube3 and the Firestick 4k on my (narrow) mind. Thanks for reminding me.

I'd like to see Paul get the Atmos mix from the Director's cut of Star Trek The Motion Picture. It's amazing. I bought the recently released The Complete Adventure for the Isolated Score, which is unfortunately in Stereo. The mix of the core in the the movie, blows you away. Would love to be able to listen to it without having to load up the movie.

Back