The True Hard Core Fan Litmus Test Album

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shakedown Street - Grateful Dead When it was released, many people called it "Grateful Doobies." One of the most commercial Dead albums. I love it. The '70's lineup with Keith & Donna is my favorite.

View attachment 11635
Well, well, well, you can never tell...

This is also one of my fave GD studio albums- though still a cut below American Beauty and Workingman's Dead imo. But a lot of these songs were awesome live.

Too much of everything is JUST ENOUGH!

Terrapin Station came out when I worked at The Wherehouse record chain. I never owned any of their records prior to this. We played a couple cuts on a in store sampler a few times a day. I found myself drawn into Estimated Profit and one evening we played the title suite and I had to have it. Years later I got into few more albums. Dylan, Dead, et al came to me late in life!

A real argument starter: Crash Landing - Jimi Hendrix, another canceled Quad. It was "sweetened" posthumously by adding studio musicians like Bob Babbit on bass at the behest of Alan Douglas. The Hendrix family is among those who hate it. Many tracks are available on official Experience Hendrix posthumous releases in "unsweetened" versions. Personally, I love it and cherish my Japan CD. The OBI strip is flexible, like vinyl. Midnight Lightning was done in the same way. I'm not so fond of that one.

Message to Love (video begins with ad): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbFdvrnHolk
Stone Free Again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktiexYuLaW4
Radio promo for TM's "Message to Love" radio special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b35fgDpkifM
View attachment 11631
View attachment 11632

In spite of lots of negative opinions of CL I would have loved a quad version. Those that consider themseleves to be true hard core fans (and I know many) think these albums an abomination and Alan Douglas to be the devil incarnate. I agree Linda that CL has some high points but they are harder to come by on Midnight Lightning. i was always disappointed by the studio version of Power of Soul after the explosive guitar intro on the Band of Gypsys album. There are some so so versions of songs on CL but Peace in Mississippi and Somewhere are pretty good readings in my opinion and have always loved them. The re-realisation of Stone Free also has a different swagger to it considering just how powerful the original was it is still a great reading.

There are quite a few versions of these songs 'out there' but Experience Hendrix have only recently embraced some of these tunes for general release. Apparently Captain Coconut was spliced out of two other tracks by someone after Jimi's death but AD never knew and thought it a lost gem? I always thought it weak. By the time Midnight Lightning came out it was considered there was nothing left worse releasing. The strange thing is that many tracks were let loose later that AD never touched, eg Cherokee Mist, Midnight Lightning (solo type version) and others so one must assume that he didn't have access to these tapes?

Terrapin Station came out when I worked at The Wherehouse record chain. I never owned any of their records prior to this. We played a couple cuts on a in store sampler a few times a day. I found myself drawn into Estimated Profit and one evening we played the title suite and I had to have it. Years later I got into few more albums. Dylan, Dead, et al came to me late in life!

Hopefully not so late that you missed out on seeing them w/ Jerry.

Tutu - Miles Davis Many fans consider this album way too commercial. With over two dozen box sets and over 500 CD's/LP's, I'm as hard core a Miles fan as they get. To me, this is one of his best. Before DVD-A hit the street, some Tutu tracks made promotional samplers. I waited with baited breath for the DVD-A of Tutu. It didn't disappoint.
otheraudio_tutu1.jpg

Bitches Brew - Miles Davis Many jazz purists consider this noise and commercial drivel. Encyclopedia of Jazz said to get the albums which are "true jazz" and forget this, as well as all Miles that came afterward. Are they nuts?!? Many others consider this one of his best. Whether you like it or hate it, this album was undeniably groundbreaking. Quad makes it even better.
davis_bitchesQUAD.jpg

I had the privilege of seeing Miles live several times before he died. Chicago Theater, Symphony Center and Chicago Jazz Fest were among the venues.

"He looked good in that picture. He must have made it before he died." - Yogi Berra

And I am a hardcore Hendrix fan. My collection numbers in the hundreds. I still stand by my love of Crash Landing.

Jazz purists...a contradiction in terms...
for..what is jazz but an amalgam of styles and music????

As a Berklee graduate I had my fill of standards from "The Real Book"...somehow I never got into the "jazz scene"...most of the players were(still are) a bunch of snobs...
I knew that a real pro is at least professional enough to work with others and keep a good atmosphere, something that was confirmed later when I worked in studios with real pros...(I recorded Cuban Bassist legend "Cachao")..
Never got into Miles, just cause of maybe circumstances, but I'm aware of his groundbreaking work...and of the few things I have from him I agree wholeheartedly that BB is from another world...never even have bothered with the stereo version...

Jazz is about improvisation and FEELING, not hitting all the "right" notes or adhering to stylistic conformity. Coincidentally, yesterday, we were listening to this track of Zappa's berating studio musicians and Berklee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXujK_oN_GI

Jazz purists...a contradiction in terms...
for..what is jazz but an amalgam of styles and music????

As a Berklee graduate I had my fill of standards from "The Real Book"...somehow I never got into the "jazz scene"...most of the players were(still are) a bunch of snobs...
I knew that a real pro is at least professional enough to work with others and keep a good atmosphere, something that was confirmed later when I worked in studios with real pros...(I recorded Cuban Bassist legend "Cachao")..
Never got into Miles, just cause of maybe circumstances, but I'm aware of his groundbreaking work...and of the few things I have from him I agree wholeheartedly that BB is from another world...never even have bothered with the stereo version...

I'll take your word on this one - i've yet to listen to the entire album, but "Street player" certainly gives my TT a great workout. Plus it's probably one of the most sampled songs out there.

Talking Heads - Naked
Toto - Hydra
Cars - Door to Door
Queen - Hot Space
ELP - Love Beach
David Bowie - Tonight
Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band
Sting - All This Time
CSN - Allies
Billy Joel - Fantasies & Delusions
Gentle Giant - Civilian
Live - Birds Of Prey
Renaissance - Camera, Camera
Til Tuesday - Everything's Different Now
Men At Work - Two Hearts

Hmmm, I don't think Til Tuesday (or Aimee Mann) have ever produced a bad album. This one did sound a bit different but is still quite good. Same for Live. For many years Throwing Copper was the only album of theirs I'd listen to. But in the past two years or so I have come to enjoy all their music including this album. In fact on some of my long bike rides of 70 to 100 miles I'll just let all their albums play through on the ipod as I pedal along totally enjoying their craft.

Back