Tom Petty amd The Heartbreakers Latest "Hypnotic Eye" Blu-Ray due July 29th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I am starting to like a lot of songs on this disc, the surround to me is not that impressive. Especially if you go from, for example, the Bob Marley disc to this one. Quite a let down.

I agree - the Bob Marley and many others are in another league. But Hypnotic Eye in 5.1 is:
- so much better than stereo
- a bit better than Tom Petty's other 5.1 blurays (more descrete)
- a brand new recording and very good from both a sonic and a musical aspect

Tom Petty scores first No. 1 album on Billboard

"It took 37 years, but they made it.

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers finally mesmerized enough people to buy their latest album Hypnotic Eye to put them on top of the Billboard album chart. Sales hit 131,000, according to Nielsen SoundScan. It's the best debut sales week since 1991, when SoundScan started tracking sales. It's also Petty's best sales week since 1994, when he released his solo album Wildflowers (161,000 copies).

He and The Heartbreakers broke into the Billboard album chart back in 1977 with their self-titled debut album with famous tunes like American Girl and Breakdown. Fans who bought a ticket to shows on Petty's current tour had the option of also getting the album included, so that helped sales a bit. Oddly enough, most ticket buyers don't get the album with their purchase.

Although 37 years is a long wait, Tony Bennett waited 54 years for his first No. 1, 2011'a Duets II.

Eric Clapton's album The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale, debuted at No. 2 with 61,000 sales. The soundtrack of Guardians of the Galaxy soared to the No. 3 spot with 60,000 in sales.

5 Seconds of Summer's self-titled set loses some heat, falling to No. 4 with 54,000, a 79% drop.

Vine star Shawn Mendes hits No. 5 with his self-titled EP with 48,000, knocking Frozen out of the top 5 after 31 straight weeks. It's now at No. 6 with 33,000, a 10% drop.

Sam Smith finds 30,000 friends with his album In the Lonely Hour, a 5% drop.

Theory of a Deadman livens things up at No. 8 with Savagers (28,000). Jenny Lewis has a personal best with Voyager at No. 9, making it her highest-charting album, ever. That album sold 24,000.

At the bottom of the pile is Kidz Bop Kidz Bop 26, dropping from 5 to 10 with 20,000 in sales, a 24% drop."

Tom Petty scores first No. 1 album on Billboard

"It took 37 years, but they made it.

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers finally mesmerized enough people to buy their latest album Hypnotic Eye to put them on top of the Billboard album chart. Sales hit 131,000, according to Nielsen SoundScan. It's the best debut sales week since 1991, when SoundScan started tracking sales. It's also Petty's best sales week since 1994, when he released his solo album Wildflowers (161,000 copies).

He and The Heartbreakers broke into the Billboard album chart back in 1977 with their self-titled debut album with famous tunes like American Girl and Breakdown. Fans who bought a ticket to shows on Petty's current tour had the option of also getting the album included, so that helped sales a bit. Oddly enough, most ticket buyers don't get the album with their purchase.

Although 37 years is a long wait, Tony Bennett waited 54 years for his first No. 1, 2011'a Duets II.

Eric Clapton's album The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale, debuted at No. 2 with 61,000 sales. The soundtrack of Guardians of the Galaxy soared to the No. 3 spot with 60,000 in sales.

5 Seconds of Summer's self-titled set loses some heat, falling to No. 4 with 54,000, a 79% drop.

Vine star Shawn Mendes hits No. 5 with his self-titled EP with 48,000, knocking Frozen out of the top 5 after 31 straight weeks. It's now at No. 6 with 33,000, a 10% drop.

Sam Smith finds 30,000 friends with his album In the Lonely Hour, a 5% drop.

Theory of a Deadman livens things up at No. 8 with Savagers (28,000). Jenny Lewis has a personal best with Voyager at No. 9, making it her highest-charting album, ever. That album sold 24,000.

At the bottom of the pile is Kidz Bop Kidz Bop 26, dropping from 5 to 10 with 20,000 in sales, a 24% drop."

A #1 on Billboard used to represent 1 million units.....in those days, 130k might get an artist inside the top 10. A reasonable comparison is to compare the actual number of units to units. "Damn the Torpedoes"and "Into the Great Wide Open" were both double platinum in the U.S. representing 2 million units each. "Hypnotic Eye" will drop below 100k next week.....

I still have not decided to buy it....I'm not a big TP fan and from what I have heard around here....the 5.1 mix is not very overwhelming......hmmmmm

If you are not a TP fan then I wouldn't recommend it...but then again maybe this will convert you...I thought many of the songs have more of a blues bass line...$17.00-$25.00 USD on Amazon so not a super expensive box set.....BD would be relatively easy to get rid of if you really didn't like it...(n) (y) :mad:@:

I'm not really a TP fan and have nothing by him in my collection, but its a new release in 5.1 so I may take the risk. The new issue of Classic Rock magazine gives it a good review 8/10, saying 'as energised and alive as Petty has been for decades', no mention of the 5.1 in the review.

I'm not really a TP fan and have nothing by him in my collection, but its a new release in 5.1 so I may take the risk. The new issue of Classic Rock magazine gives it a good review 8/10, saying 'as energised and alive as Petty has been for decades', no mention of the 5.1 in the review.

Dice.png
:brew

Well I guess I'm not getting mine. I filed a item not received case with paypal and don't really want it now anyway.

Just got mine and have had one listen and like what I am hearing, Tom Petty and band have still got some fire left in the belly. The sound is really good on this, more listening needed before voting.

Back