Van Morrison Moondance Deluxe Boxet with Bluray 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see the dog-eared, falling to bits copies coming up on eBay a year or so from now... ;)

if you don't have them already, admsh, there's a load of great surround mixes by the same guy (Elliot Scheiner) that did this Van Morrison mix, on DTS-CD, DVD-A & SACD including:

Gaucho - Steely Dan (DTS, DVD-A, SACD),
Winelight - Grover Washington Jr. (DVD-A),
Homecoming - America (DVD-A),
IV - Toto (SACD),
Nature Boy - Aaron Neville (DVD-A, SACD),
Southern Surroundings - Lynyrd Sknyrd (DVD-A),
Candyman - Steve Lukather (DTS),
The Captain and Me - The Doobie Brothers (DVD-A),
Layla - Derek & The Dominos (DTS DVD-V in box set),
The Nightfly - Donald Fagen (DVD-A, SACD, DualDisc, MVI DTS),
Kamakiriad - Donald Fagen (DVD-A, MVI DTS),
Morph The Cat - Donald Fagen (DVD-A, MVI DTS),
Everything Must Go - Steely Dan (DVD-A),
In Your Honor - Foo Fighters (DVD-A DualDisc),
Hell Freezes Over - The Eagles (DTS),
Hotel California - The Eagles (DVD-A, SACD),
A Night At The Opera - Queen (DVD-A),
In Absentia - Porcupine Tree (DVD-A),
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips (DVD-A),
Automatic For The People/In Time/Up/Reveal/New Adventures In Hi Fi/Green/Monster -
R.E.M. (DVD-A),
Dig - Boz Scaggs (DVD-A),
Sea Change - Beck (DVD-A, SACD, BD-A),
Guero - Beck (DVD-A).

I knew about Derek & The Dominos, but now I know I'm missing the Aaron Neville /Foo Fighters /Boz Scaggs !:howl

I knew about Derek & The Dominos, but now I know I'm missing the Aaron Neville /Foo Fighters /Boz Scaggs !:howl

the Aaron Neville (Verve/Universal album, not the 2 Silverline's) was cheap & easy to get for the looooongest time but I've noticed prices creeping up more recently.

Boz is a rather curious one, a cute little fabric-bound digibook package (a kind of slimmed down version of the new Moondance) it was a promo only CD + DVD-A set. again, it could be found for £20 or less not that long ago but now it's not so cheap/easy to get unfortunately. its worth it though, really worth it :)

I can see the dog-eared, falling to bits copies coming up on eBay a year or so from now... ;)

if you don't have them already, admsh, there's a load of great surround mixes by the same guy (Elliot Scheiner) that did this Van Morrison mix, on DTS-CD, DVD-A & SACD including:
In Your Honor - Foo Fighters (DVD-A DualDisc)
wow, that's interesting. i have this one for quite a long time but never listened. didn't know ES mix on it.
perhaps it's even still wrap sealed :)
thanks for the hint.

Gaucho - Steely Dan (DTS, DVD-A, SACD),
Winelight - Grover Washington Jr. (DVD-A),
Homecoming - America (DVD-A),
IV - Toto (SACD),
Nature Boy - Aaron Neville (DVD-A, SACD),
Southern Surroundings - Lynyrd Sknyrd (DVD-A),
Candyman - Steve Lukather (DTS),
The Captain and Me - The Doobie Brothers (DVD-A),
Layla - Derek & The Dominos (DTS DVD-V in box set),
The Nightfly - Donald Fagen (DVD-A, SACD, DualDisc, MVI DTS),
Kamakiriad - Donald Fagen (DVD-A, MVI DTS),
Morph The Cat - Donald Fagen (DVD-A, MVI DTS),
Everything Must Go - Steely Dan (DVD-A),
In Your Honor - Foo Fighters (DVD-A DualDisc),
Hell Freezes Over - The Eagles (DTS),
Hotel California - The Eagles (DVD-A, SACD),
A Night At The Opera - Queen (DVD-A),
In Absentia - Porcupine Tree (DVD-A),
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips (DVD-A),
Automatic For The People/In Time/Up/Reveal/New Adventures In Hi Fi/Green/Monster -
R.E.M. (DVD-A),
Dig - Boz Scaggs (DVD-A),
Sea Change - Beck (DVD-A, SACD, BD-A),
Guero - Beck (DVD-A).

Gaucho on dts CD is a different mix than the dvd-audio/sacd. The same guy mixed both?

Deadwing - Porcupine Tree isn't on that list!!!! One of my faves....

oh and I also don't own any of ES' Quad mixes...

...IIRC he did some Jazz material in the 70's for Quad but was unhappy with reproduction on domestic setups, so gave up and only returned to surround mixing once DTS had got the technology right in the 90's.

I'll find the link to the interview :)

oh and I also don't own any of ES' Quad mixes...

...IIRC he did some Jazz material in the 70's for Quad but was unhappy with reproduction on domestic setups, so gave up and only returned to surround mixing once DTS had got the technology right in the 90's.

I'll find the link to the interview :)

Scheiner did extensive quad mixing on jazz recordings only to be sorely disappointed when he heard his hard work played back on consumer systems. “Turned out to be more effort than I was willing to put in to have somebody think I actually mixed it that way,” he says. “I got out of it very quickly.”

Rest of the amazing article (featuring members of QQ, no less!) is here..

http://www.latimesmagazine.com/2010/06/hear-and-now.html

Deffo! a lot of Quad mixes more adventurous/fun than latter-day 5.1... my all-time fave "fun" Quad that got a digital release would be the DTS CD of Edgar Winter's "Jasmine Nightdreams".. the 3 instrumentals that form one long suite at the end are just jaw-droppingly good..!!!

Thanks for the hint fredblue. Just ordered it (wasn't too expensive). Now I'm really curious about it!

Thanks for the hint fredblue. Just ordered it (wasn't too expensive). Now I'm really curious about it!

you're welcome, d0zer :) get ready for a ride! :p

I read one review by a QQ member saying the level of separation/discreetness going on in this Quad mix made it sound at times like you're listening to two different records at the same time there's so much going on front and back all at the same time -- and yet IT WORKS!! :D

can you imagine what Robert Margouleff's Quad mix of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" is like after hearing this incredible Edgar Winter Quad mix he created!? Such a shame it never escaped the vaults... IIRC Margouleff offered to remix Stevie's 70's albums into surround for Universal back in the 90's and got nowhere! :(

ah! thanks Mike! Its one of the verrrrrrry few ES surround mixes I don't have (apart from Pretzel Logic of course! :eek:).. did you spot the other (deliberate!) omission on my list btw?

You missed quite a few...

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature also..:rolleyes: :eek:
Oh also - Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks (SACD Hybrid)

Maybe you meant this one:
Faith Hill - Cry (DVD-A)

or this:
Roy Orbison - Black and White Night (DVD-A, SACD, DVD-Video DTS, Blu-ray)

You missed quite a few...

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature also..:rolleyes: :eek:
Oh also - Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks (SACD Hybrid)

Maybe you meant this one:
Faith Hill - Cry (DVD-A)

or this:
Roy Orbison - Black and White Night (DVD-A, SACD, DVD-Video DTS, Blu-ray)

Haha! I'm such a slacker! :p

Yes! Faith Hill was the one I left off on purpose! Not because I hate it but because it's not up there with ES' very best mixes and the general consensus is it's not great.

Two Against Nature & Blood on the T's I totally forgot about in all honesty.. but I don't like the SD "comeback" album (its the only album of theirs I never ever play! its been years since I heard the surround mix, so I can't comment fairly on it now but I don't remember being wowed at the time).. the Dylan is very good but not as good as any of those others, though I did overlook it! :eek: ..I never got the Roy Orbison back in the day and I'm not sure I can be arsed with it now!

anymore to add? ES is such a surround legend in my eyes he deserves his own sticky thread on QQ of all his mixes, as a resource for members and visitors! Many of his mixes are unmixable! I mean unmissable! :D :eek:

yes, both DTS CD and later DVD-A/SACD mixes by Elliot Scheiner.
Sure would be interesting to have him explain why he did two different surround mixes of the same album. Maybe HDS wouldn't give Universal a deal on the first mix.

Back