Warner: DVD Albums To Replace DualDiscs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Warner: DVD Albums To Replace DualDiscs
By Joseph Palenchar -- TWICE, 8/8/2006 12:06:00 PM

New York – If Warner Music Group has its way, the eventual successor to the CD won’t be the DVD-Audio disc or the DualDisc, but a disc called DVD Album, which will be playable in any DVD player or DVD-ROM drive and offer more video content than capacity-constrained DualDiscs.

DVD Album will take full advantage of the DVD format’s multilayer capacity and include two-channel or multichannel music, far more video extras than hybrid CD/DVD DualDiscs, and pre-ripped — but protected — versions of the music. The pre-ripped music could be burned onto CDs in PCM format for playback in legacy CD players, transferred to a PC’s hard drive in native form, and transferred to portable music players in native form according to digital-rights-management rules recognized by PCs and portable MP3 players. The pre-ripped, or already compressed, music’s format was not disclosed.

The discs could also contain PC programs, including one to create custom cellphone ringtones from the album’s music. Consumers would select the snippet of music that they would use to create a specific ringtone.

Warner will make the first DVD Albums available in late October or early November along with their CD-only counterparts. Pricing has not been announced.

“We’re not going to discontinue CDs,” the executive said, but “we expect adoption of the DVD Album to make CD start to become what the cassette became to CD: a lower price format.”

The company said it has seen “a pretty strong uptick in interest from the other labels” in its idea, which was developed based on what “we’ve learned from the DualDisc experience and by talking to consumers about the CD/DVD combination,” a Warner executive said.

From the DualDisc experience, Warner learned that tossing a few music videos on the 4.7GB DVD side of a DualDisc didn’t cut it with consumers. With the ability of a DVD-based DVD Album to include two DVD sides, each with two layers, music companies can include “a lot of video extras for ravenous fans,” the executive said. “Fans will pay if they can feel closer to the artist.” One way to get closer is by watching extensive behind-the-scenes video footage on the band, he said. “You can get music videos anywhere on the Web.”

Warner also learned that a majority of purchasers inserted their new DualDiscs into a PC before inserting them into a CD or DVD player, whether because they planned to rip tracks or because the PC is their primary playback device in the home, the executive said. As a result, DVD Albums will offer “an enhanced ROM experience” that will “blur the difference between the physical and digital domains.” The ROMexperience will include access to web sites, PC applications such as ring-tone creation, and preripped tracks in an as-yet undisclosed compression format that will be comparable in quality to what’s available from authorized download sites, the executive said.

In Warner’s case, the music tracks could be in DVD-Video’s traditional 2.0- and 5.1-channel compressed Dolby Digital format, which is playable on all existing DVD–Video players and DVD-ROM drives, or in the two- and 5.1-channel DVD-Audio format, which is playable in any DVD-Audio/Video player that supports the format. If DVD-Audio is used, then the DVD-Audio tracks will also be available on the same disc in compressed Dolby Digital 5.1 in the disc’s video zone and be playable on more common DVD-Video players and PC’s DVD-ROM drives.

From Twice OnLine at http://www.twice.com/article/CA6360704.html
====================================================

If DVD-Audio is used, then the DVD-Audio tracks will also be available on the same disc in compressed Dolby Digital 5.1 in the disc’s video zone and be playable on more common DVD-Video players and PC’s DVD-ROM drives.
This is THE way to go and the only way to satisfy both the mass audience and the audiophile...

Can you imagine the perfect world with MLP tracks on EVERY DVD Album ? :)

This is our second thread on this and for some odd reason, I am more optimistic after reading about it again. This press release doesn't make anything clear, but specifically indicates DVD-Audio is possible. If 1 in 10 have 5.1 DVD-Audio, I will be happy.

Chris

This is actually good news, as surround is at least mentioned, if not a major part of these discs.

What would REALLY be cool is if the first "DVD Albums" were not titles already available as DVD-A or DualDiscs, but those titles that were allegedly ready to come out on DVD-A and never showed.

That would be something.

This is actually good news, as surround is at least mentioned, if not a major part of these discs.

What would REALLY be cool is if the first "DVD Albums" were not titles already available as DVD-A or DualDiscs, but those titles that were allegedly ready to come out on DVD-A and never showed.

That would be something.

Yes. Please, not another American Beauty or Sea Change on yet ANOTHER format!:mad:@:

Well, i just hope they will settle on *one* format, also because Jon will need to add another logo on the QQ pages! :)
And it's kinda funny now that Italy has just saw another batch of Dualdisc releases - all but one are in the extrathrilling "enhanced stereo" format - the one released in 5.1 is a Hiphop/Rap album (Dj Jad - Milano-New York), a nice work in stereo (can't check out the 5.1 mix while on vacation) but for sue not everyone's cake.

Yes. Please, not another American Beauty or Sea Change on yet ANOTHER format!:mad:@:

No shit, and the music companies still likely don't understand why we didn't buy into the DualDisc format.

If the only potential customers (of a surround sound release versus the Redbook CD) had already purchased it on (the superior) DVD-Audio format, why the hell would we buy it again on an inferior format; especially one with the potential to destroy a player transport. What a bunch of dick-wads ... friggin' ring tones? Give me strength.

Mike.

I count this as good news.

Like the DualDisc, it supports a variety of configurations, including MC and hi-rez, without setting any particular one in stone. Even if initial releases don't take full advantage, that could change at any time.

Unlike DualDisc, it will probably work in most players.
And people will actually know what it is.

No one will be scared off by any format that starts with "DVD" (excluding DVD-A, of course).

Some of the extras of this format seem like good ideas to me.

I really like the idea of including stereo Wav files that can be burned to regular CDs. That's one thing I wish I could do with my many DVD-A disks. Being able to burn a stereo version to a regular CD for whatever use would make my life a lot nicer.

I really like the idea of including stereo Wav files that can be burned to regular CDs. That's one thing I wish I could do with my many DVD-A disks. Being able to burn a stereo version to a regular CD for whatever use would make my life a lot nicer.

I agree. That's the biggest drawback of DVD-A discs in my view. When I want a copy I can play on any CD player, I have to make an analog real-time copy using my CD recorder. With stereo WAV files, it could be done much faster and easier.

I agree. That's the biggest drawback of DVD-A discs in my view. When I want a copy I can play on any CD player, I have to make an analog real-time copy using my CD recorder. With stereo WAV files, it could be done much faster and easier.

I've been doing this for a long time, but as a Dolby Surround-encoded version I can play in stereo or in surround via Dolby Pro Logic II. They also decode amazingly well with a QS decoder. The amount of separation retained when played back through the DPL II decoder is surprising; still sounds discrete, although it isn't.

I wonder if these are essentially the same thing that Sony did with the Oasis - "Denfinitely Maybe" DVD that they released a year ago (or thereabout)? It wasn't a DualDisc, but just a regular DVD with both music and video content. (At least, I don't think it was a DualDisc since it came in a standard sized DVD case... Though, I do think for some reason a DualDisc version (stereo) did indeed exist?)

I do like the idea the Warner could possibly still include DVD-Audio. Still no way I'm buying many of these unless there is a surround mix.

I don't like the sound of "pre-ripped (audio) tracks" in some "compression format". Hopefully, uncompressed WAV could be used included on the disc somewhere, too. I suppose I'd have to finally learn how to extract and record the audio from a DVD then? I hate making analog copies.

This is in the 'not sure what to make of it' department. Yeah, any releases offering multichannel sound for albums is a good idea, and most welcome; but will we get that? Hi-rez issues aside, DualDisc was, like SACD before it, a format capable of 5.1, but not always used that way, and a lot of consumers--understandbly--didn't see any reason to invest in an SACD player for better stereo sound, let alone 5.1, which wasn't always there.

Another question: will these be packaged as DVD's? That might have helped the DVD-A, since it did have video potential to start with, but badly marketed.

Of course what Warner says it will do and what it ultimately does may not match.

ED :)

It will be interesting to see how they package these DVD Albums, but it could be they'll put them into a CD-sized double digipak, kind of like EMI did with the Steve Miller 30th Anniversary release of "Fly Like An Eagle". DVD-Audio should be the format of choice, with a Dolby Digital option for those who can't play DVD-A.

It will be interesting to see how they package these DVD Albums, but it could be they'll put them into a CD-sized double digipak, kind of like EMI did with the Steve Miller 30th Anniversary release of "Fly Like An Eagle". DVD-Audio should be the format of choice, with a Dolby Digital option for those who can't play DVD-A.

We already have that! These will be DVD-V's with rippable WAV files that can be burned to cd.

We already have that! These will be DVD-V's with rippable WAV files that can be burned to cd.

Has anybody actually seen a list of upcoming titles, or is this another case of abstact record company hype? It seems that these companies just throw ideas out there and see what sticks. This seems like another scheme to repackage the same old crap to get it into the hands of the masses who passed on it the first few times.

I would bet that Silverline will jump into this one with both feet to try and flog their pathetic releases as well, and DTS won't be far behind. Shit, DTS Entertainment are still sending e-mails flogging 6 or 7 year old releases like they are NEW for crissake. How about something DIFFERENT ... Tull, Sabbath, Zep ... LOTS of great Warner titles out there ... and LOTS of them were QUAD!

Mike.

I haven't seen any announcements of titles from Warner and I haven't seen any other company announce a similar interest in this new marketing idea. Personally I am encouraged, but I liked hybrid SACD and DVD-A DualDisc. I don't think we will see Silverline join in this time.

Chris

I haven't seen any announcements of titles from Warner and I haven't seen any other company announce a similar interest in this new marketing idea. Personally I am encouraged, but I liked hybrid SACD and DVD-A DualDisc. I don't think we will see Silverline join in this time.

Chris

Siverline might go back to their roots; DVD-Video discs with either Dolby Digital and/or
DTS. It's very disheartening to see all these formats that take sound quality forward get trounced by either mass apathy or poor marketing, or a combination of the two. These formats deserved better treatment all around. It makes me wonder why the record companies would have put all this money and effort into these formats in the first place if they weren't going to do whatever it took to make them succeed. Had there been good advertising, including on radio and print, and had the retailers done their part to get these discs into the hands of the consumers, multichannel sound would have been more commonplace. XM Radio's recent foray into surround can't hurt, but I think it's too little, too late. Damn!

Back