Warner: DVD Albums To Replace DualDiscs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had never heard of this group before this release. I like the music on this album and like emo although I don't have a clue what music sells well these days. This doesn't sound like what I consider emo. This is just simple pop/rock music although all of the different genres are difficul to pinpoint, I don't hear the emotional tone to the voices and lyrics I associate with emo. It does seem like an odd first release for a new format Warner hopes to be successful but based on the few reviews I found online before buying it, there may be a significant market. The videos and the surround mix are only ok, the music is the best part of the album in my opinion.

Warner has some great music ready for release on this format, but who knows if the plan is to only release music that can sell in large quantities. I love "Moondance" but doubt that album would sell very well now.

The shipping was $2.99 as shown on the eBay auction.

Chris

I knew I forgot something....

When I talked to Rick Gershon he told me that Oct24 was a firm date for ATWTM and we would definitely not be disappointed.

He is working that album in particular and didn't really have any additional info he could give me at this point on other DVD Albums to be released. He did say that there would be a website coming soon (I imagine like the DVD-A website) to announce upcoming albums. I am keeping in touch with Rick to keep up on the news.

This article is dated August 10th, so it is nothing new, but it gives another (not so positive) take on the new DVD Album. I have to agree that given all the recently failed formats, I'm not so sure this will fly either. However I am hopeful that we may get a few new releases that Warner has been holding back. At this point we will take what we can get! :)

http://www.futuremusic.com/news/august2006/thedvdalbum.html

Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics - not a DVD album - a CD/DVD with the 5.1 mix as well as extras/videos on the DVD

I'm looking forward to this release on Oct. 24th. The CD is very good, you can tell it is just made for surround effects. It should be great!

BTW, Dr. simple, myself and our wives had the great pleasure in seeing the "Lips" perform live last month in Columbus. What a wild, crazy, zany show that was! Fun with a capitol "F". Huge baloons, confeti cannons, dancing aliens, it was sensory overload. :mad:@: Highly entertaining! :D

BTW, Dr. simple, myself and our wives had the great pleasure in seeing the "Lips" perform live last month in Columbus. What a wild, crazy, zany show that was! Fun with a capitol "F". Huge baloons, confeti cannons, dancing aliens, it was sensory overload. :mad:@: Highly entertaining! :D

Yeah, it was quite a trip! Wow. But I had to laugh when Dennis wrote, "Fun with a capital F" because we were all a little surprised at how much Wayne Coyne used another word with a capital F...!

with revolver you have to add in Dr Robert (usa mono mix) and Tomorrow never knows (uk mono mix from xex606-1 pressing)

and I'm only sleeping (usa true stereo mix...which is different again)

and yellow submarine (stereo anthology re-mix released only as b side to real love)

We'll get right on that.....of course it'll delay the release.;)

Another wasted opportunity. The new My Chemical Romance album, The Black Parade should have been released in the new DVD Album format. If you don't know them, they're a bit on the "emo" side, but more ambitious than most Emo bands. The new album is really dense and layered and probably would have been good in surround. Reminds me a bit of American Idiot. It's a WEA product, so like I said, wasted opportunity.(n)

Another wasted opportunity. The new My Chemical Romance album, The Black Parade should have been released in the new DVD Album format. If you don't know them, they're a bit on the "emo" side, but more ambitious than most Emo bands. The new album is really dense and layered and probably would have been good in surround. Reminds me a bit of American Idiot. It's a WEA product, so like I said, wasted opportunity.(n)

Don't give up hope, Dave. If the album is successful enough, ie. it makes money for the record company, they still may do it. I don't think they've released any yet, and I thought I had heard they were supposed to start with a few this month. Then I heard it'll be after the first of the year. So all hope is not lost.

Don't give up hope, Dave. If the album is successful enough, ie. it makes money for the record company, they still may do it. I don't think they've released any yet, and I thought I had heard they were supposed to start with a few this month. Then I heard it'll be after the first of the year. So all hope is not lost.

There was one by Sun. Go to page 2 of this thread. Chris has it.

One thing Warner has to do with this forthcoming format is let people know what it is, and not just in music magazines. All of us who roam this QQ board or over at SH, we know what's coming and what's not before the labels do. A few months ago I was tossing out old "Rolling Stone" magazines and discovered an SACD sampler from Sony I didn't even know was in the magazine. If labels want to push a format, it has to be more than just running display ads.

Look at other forms of entertainment, they have a clue on how to promote themselves. I remember when DVD's first came out, it was no big deal, the company that was releasing the best stuff was Criterion. They were the MFSL/DCC of DVD companies. All of a sudden, the major film studios said wow, we can make more money releasing an entire television series on DVD, than we could from mere syndication? Let's move everything!!!

As I've said elsewhere, anything music-related is pushed to the side, seems almost secondary, yet there's enough of us (be it serious or casual music listeners) who are very much interested. Then again, all of us know that CD's are a niche market, surround sound discs have always been a niche market, yet at times it would be nice for one label to say "you know, let's try this out". It's essentially a guaranteed sale if one caters to that market, yet big business says "if we can make more by selling it even to the casual customer, that's still a lot more money than it would be if we just catered to the niche".

One thing Warner has to do with this forthcoming format is let people know what it is, and not just in music magazines. All of us who roam this QQ board or over at SH, we know what's coming and what's not before the labels do. A few months ago I was tossing out old "Rolling Stone" magazines and discovered an SACD sampler from Sony I didn't even know was in the magazine. If labels want to push a format, it has to be more than just running display ads.

Look at other forms of entertainment, they have a clue on how to promote themselves. I remember when DVD's first came out, it was no big deal, the company that was releasing the best stuff was Criterion. They were the MFSL/DCC of DVD companies. All of a sudden, the major film studios said wow, we can make more money releasing an entire television series on DVD, than we could from mere syndication? Let's move everything!!!

As I've said elsewhere, anything music-related is pushed to the side, seems almost secondary, yet there's enough of us (be it serious or casual music listeners) who are very much interested. Then again, all of us know that CD's are a niche market, surround sound discs have always been a niche market, yet at times it would be nice for one label to say "you know, let's try this out". It's essentially a guaranteed sale if one caters to that market, yet big business says "if we can make more by selling it even to the casual customer, that's still a lot more money than it would be if we just catered to the niche".

I hope they do promote this new format effectively. Many times, the record companies introduce new formats, actually hoping they'll fail. I think that's what happened with Dual Disc. If they really wanted it to succeed, they would have promoted it more, advertised it heavily, and released more titles...especially in surround sound. The sad part is that pressing discs, distributing them, and all that goes along costs more than promoting a digital download. There's more profit in digital downloads; no physical material to distribute. So that's where the companies want to go. As the song goes, "Sad, sad, sad, ain't it sad?"

I hope they do promote this new format effectively. Many times, the record companies introduce new formats, actually hoping they'll fail. I think that's what happened with Dual Disc. If they really wanted it to succeed, they would have promoted it more, advertised it heavily, and released more titles...especially in surround sound. The sad part is that pressing discs, distributing them, and all that goes along costs more than promoting a digital download. There's more profit in digital downloads; no physical material to distribute. So that's where the companies want to go. As the song goes, "Sad, sad, sad, ain't it sad?"

I remember in the mid-90's, right around the time MP3 files started bubbling up, there was a press release for people who were on Roadrunner, the internet company owned by Warner Bros. They wanted to test out a new system on DSL where people would be able to download music files with cover art and lyrics. I never saw a follow-up, but anyone can see what it has lead to. It's the perfect way to make money out of nothing.

As I've said elsewhere, the industry should not stop making CD's, DVD's, and SACD's, yet the sad reality is, at least in the U.S., they're ready to cut production and feed their junk to the iPod generation. Yet people in Australia and other countries still buy CD's, and in some instances sales are going up. Here in the U.S., when someone writes an article about how more people are buying turntables for the first time, it's passed off as a trend with bonus giggles.

I'd like to say "it could work" or "it should work" but any effort from the majors to push yet another format in the era of disappeaing formats seems *almost* pointless. Nonetheless, I'm in it for the ride to see how far it will go. If anything, it will please those of us who still care. (y)

Back