Warner: DVD Albums To Replace DualDiscs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be interesting to see how they package these DVD Albums, but it could be they'll put them into a CD-sized double digipak, kind of like EMI did with the Steve Miller 30th Anniversary release of "Fly Like An Eagle". DVD-Audio should be the format of choice, with a Dolby Digital option for those who can't play DVD-A.

I have one. It comes in a standard CD jewel case with a big yellow sticker:

"WARNING!
Only plays on DVD Players/DVD-Rom drives

The World's First DVD Album!"

It is the The Sun- "Blame It On The Youth".

No DVD-A. It does have Dolby Digital 5.1 and LPCM stereo, it doesn't indicate specifics regarding bitrates. It indicates DVD-5 and WAV files in addition to the 14 videos. I haven't opened it yet and I am thinking long after CD's have been forgotten and this new format has become the world's standard, this first of a kind will be worth a fortune so maybe I shouldn't open it. I will be gone for a week or so and no plans to be near a computer so I will have to report on this exciting new format later. Unless I am mistaken this is only being released as a DVD-Album and the big yellow sticker indicates easy transfer to MP3 players and/or CD.

Chris

Pass. I've got nothing against these guys, but nothing for them, either...quite frankly, they're kind of bland. Kinda sounds like something I would expect to hear on a second-tier WB show (or CW, or whatever they're called now).
So packaging this in yet another consumer confusing format...this is how Warners expects to save recorded music?

This reminds me of the Simple Plan Dualdisc. Why put some lame-o emo band as one of your first releases of a new format? How about a BIG name? Judging by the reviews, this seems more video driven than surround driven. I'm already pessimistic.......even more than usual!;)

I got an email back from WB's Rick Gershon. He said he would be glad to give some info on some upcoming titles. I need to call him Monday or Tuesday. If I am able to get him on the phone I will report back.

Might I suggest them releasing the Elliot Schiener 5.1 mixed (already done and sitting there) Van Morrison "Moondance" album this way?

The MFSL DSOTM discs bought in 1985 for $15 brought $150 each in 1999.
(I won't even mention the quads.)
Not too many investments average 64% per year.

I'd say comparing an MFSL of Dark Side to a DVD of whiny teen music is a tad much.

As I said, use the Donnas dualdisc as an example. Much hype when it came out, more hype after the "defect" was discovered. Makes a great pocket mirror now.

Last edited:
Back