Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone and Happy New Year!

I am from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks trying to get oriented.

I got into quadraphonic in the early ‘70’s. There was no internet then, so I scoured every store around for anything quadraphonic – vinyl, Q8 and Q4.

I wasn’t happy with the vinyl. The matrix records had poor separation and the CD-4 records had a lot of surface noise. I guess I didn’t have the best equipment. Most of the Q8 tapes had poor fidelity. I loved the reel-to-reel tapes, especially the Moody Blues. I stumbled on a catalogue from Stereotape and was able to order many reels by mail.

Due to The Beatles Revolver, I was forced to join Apple Music. I was surprised how much is available in Atmos. I still prefer discreet quadraphonic, though. There are a few things on Apple Music that deserve an honorable mention (when I find the proper thread).

I still prefer collecting discs over streaming.

Thank you all for keeping me informed over what is available.

Greetings everyone! I am a photographer and filmmaker from PA. I have been a collector of surround/multichannel/spacial music for over 10 years.
My set up is fairly simple but over the years I have cobbled my way up to an Atmos system. Marantz surround receiver, Oppo 103-D, full range Polks all around, and DCM Time windows as my Atmos speakers. Yes, they are hanging from aircraft wire from the ceiling.
I have approximately 1000 multichannel releases on physical media. When I heard some of Steve Wilson's re-mixes I began collecting his work. I believe that I managed to get physical releases of his all his multichannel mixes.
Then, I found out about the Hi-rez surround poll here, I began collecting the list. I have a physical release of 199 of the top 200.
I'm also a big Criterion Collection fan and am spine number complete 1-1161. You could say I have a problem. Lol!
Anyway, looking forward to be coming a contributing part of this community.

Greetings everyone! I am a photographer and filmmaker from PA. I have been a collector of surround/multichannel/spacial music for over 10 years.
My set up is fairly simple but over the years I have cobbled my way up to an Atmos system. Marantz surround receiver, Oppo 103-D, full range Polks all around, and DCM Time windows as my Atmos speakers. Yes, they are hanging from aircraft wire from the ceiling.
I have approximately 1000 multichannel releases on physical media. When I heard some of Steve Wilson's re-mixes I began collecting his work. I believe that I managed to get physical releases of his all his multichannel mixes.
Then, I found out about the Hi-rez surround poll here, I began collecting the list. I have a physical release of 199 of the top 200.
I'm also a big Criterion Collection fan and am spine number complete 1-1161. You could say I have a problem. Lol!
Wow, sounds like quite the "thorough" collection. Welcome!!

Sounds as if you and i have the same problem–there are worse problems to have! Great introductory post, btw, and it begs the question: what is the one physical release from the top 200 that you are missing (Brick?)? Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Welcome aboard @Freddie G! There are a fair number of surround music and movies aficionados here on the forum. I know of at least one who must be supremely jealous of your collection. That would be our much beloved @4-earredwonder a.k.a Ralphie!🤗

BTW, are you a Freddie Green fan by any chance? 🤔

Welcome aboard @Freddie G! There are a fair number of surround music and movies aficionados here on the forum. I know of at least one who must be supremely jealous of your collection. That would be our much beloved @4-earredwonder a.k.a Ralphie!🤗

Dang! Look how much cooler you are than i: my first thought was Freddie Gibbs! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Sounds as if you and i have the same problem–there are worse problems to have! Great introductory post, btw, and it begs the question: what is the one physical release from the top 200 that you are missing (Brick?)? Stay Surrounded, Comrade!
Thanks! The only one that I am missing from the top 200 is Mike's (Edison Baggins) Disturbing The Universe. Can't seem to get my hands on one. Not sure how many were pressed. it has been illusive.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm not sure who Freddie Green is so...

I’ll add my welcome to those who saw your post before I did. Your collection sounds incredible. I can’t imagine going through all the Criterion discs in one lifetime!

I only heard DCM Time Windows one time but I really liked them. This was back in the 1970s.
They have a good rep and sound really good. My Sister dated a guy who used to sell jewelry in the back of a pawnshop in Baltimore. He had them as part of his sound system. When they split he left them behind. They sat around for years. When I needed speakers for my Atmos set up, I wired them up to the ceiling. I need 2 more so I can get to 5.1.4!

I’ll add my welcome to those who saw your post before I did. Your collection sounds incredible. I can’t imagine going through all the Criterion discs in one lifetime!
Thanks for the welcome! I have been collecting Criterions since 1999. One year after they went to the DVD format, and there were already some OOP! They release about 1 a week. It's difficult on the wallet. But, watching 1 important film a week isn't too tough. I AM a little behind. I still have about 8% of my collection to watch yet.

Thanks for the welcome! I have been collecting Criterions since 1999. One year after they went to the DVD format, and there were already some OOP! They release about 1 a week. It's difficult on the wallet. But, watching 1 important film a week isn't too tough. I AM a little behind. I still have about 8% of my collection to watch yet.
Watching one movie a week is fine, but from my experience, there’s about four or five hours of extras in those Criterion discs! “Citizen Kane” has THREE blu ray discs in the package. I don’t know how many hours that encompasses, but I know it’s more than one week’s worth of leisure time.

No, I haven’t watched it yet, but it’s in the “I gotta watch” pile.

Hi there. I'm a little too young for the original quadrophonic releases in the 1970s, but do remember listening to holophonic sound on my stereo system in the 1980s, and got my first pseudo-surround (Dolby Prologic) setup in 1990.

My first proper surround sound music experience was with multi-channel SACDs from 2002, although I moved to listening via headphones and stereo speakers after the living room became more of a children's play area a few years later.

After recently finding I couldn't play my multi-channel encoded rips on my old multi-channel setup via the network (DNLA) or direct connection (via USB), and that this is a common issue across other setups so couldn't be an excuse to upgrade my setup, I built a media server with a Raspberry Pi 4 and LibreELEC/Kodi to output multichannel audio over HDMI. I've a writeup of the build at Building a Raspberry Pi media server for multichannel audio and information on how I prepared the files at Extracting multichannel audio files from DVDs and SACDs if anyone's interested.

Watching one movie a week is fine, but from my experience, there’s about four or five hours of extras in those Criterion discs! “Citizen Kane” has THREE blu ray discs in the package. I don’t know how many hours that encompasses, but I know it’s more than one week’s worth of leisure time.

There are piles of extras in that CK set. Glancing at the folder for it on my NAS, I see 23 "extras" files, including interviews, featurettes on the film, Mercury Theatre recordings, Orson Welles appearances on things like Merv Griffen, and so on.

Criterion doesn't screw around when it comes to extras.

Yes, they are an awesome company! And the supplements are award winning. Their releases are often a tutorial on a film. They put a film in context historically, culturally and within a director's cannon. One of the reasons that I support they as much as I do. It does take time time to go on those journeys.

Hi all,

New member here from Australia. I've been lurking here for a while and decided to join.

I've had plenty of experience with surround sound due to DVD/Bluray and UHD, and I'm on my third AVR, although my speakers have not been updated. I do have a fair few Multichannel SACDs and DVDs Audio discs but unfortunately I have not listened to them as much as I would have liked, as my focus has been on home theatre, but I want to change that.

My first exposure to quadraphonic sound was in the mid 1970s when my parents arrived home with new Sanyo DC6100K system. They brought it home in their tiny VW station wagon and I still remember that one of the large front speakers was in my mum's lap, who was sitting on the front passenger seat, as the rest of the interior was taken up by the other components and other items from their small business.

Later on, a JVC 4DD-5 demodulator and an appropriate stylus was added. Ironically we only ever had four 4 channel records, 2 CD4 discs when we bought the demodulator, a Sanyo Quadsonic demonstration disc that came with the unit and some other (I could tell it was Australian made, the sleeve cardboard was probably 1/3 as thick...) 4 channel disc. I can't tell if the latter 2 discs are SQ format. All of these discs contain that uncool (to me but my dad probably liked it) easy listening instrumental covers of music performed by studio musicians one has never heard of, which seemed typical of a lot of quadraphonic releases then. Sadly nothing by the rock and pop artists of the day that I liked. So no Led Zeppelin, ABBA or ELO :(

From my previous lurking on the site, there doesn't seem to have been a great deal released back then that was was not easy listening, at least certainly not in CD4 format. I now understand that was likely due to an older more conservative demographic that was better placed to afford quadraphonic equipment.

Dad bought a second hand JVC 4VR-1006 receiver in the early 1980s to use in the rumpus room/man cave. Although it had a built in demodulator we never hooked up a turntable to it, as we never had a separate turntable. When I bought my first CD player I used this as the amplifier. When I ask to what equipment at home I should hook it up to, the man in the hifi shop said that JVC was a "better brand than Sanyo" , and I then started to understand the concept that there was a hierarchy with audio equipment.

We never had a real to reel player, quad or otherwise, but did have quite a few cassettes. When we bought the Sanyo system, a Sanyo deck was also purchased. We also never had an 8 track (I don't think the format was big here like say in the US) , and although I was quite young back then I don't remember ever seeing one in the car or house of a friend or relative, with the possible exception of spying a reel to reel deck (perhaps an Akai, bars in recent research) in someone's home with an 8 track (or was it a cassette?) on the side. I never knew such a thing existed and only recently I discovered Akai had even made a unit that had R2R, cassette and 8 track.

I'm fascinated in a nerdy way with obselete audio formats, particularly with 8 track despite its purported flaws, partly as it was available in a discrete quadraphonic format. Having said that I am not going to attempt to locate a player and tapes.

We still have the Sanyo unit (I flogged the cassette deck as a trade in to get a newer Yamaha 3 head deck but I no longer mess with that format, so that is gone too) and the 2 JVC units but they only partially work (channels not working, turntable not stopping unless power disconnect) but they have been neglected for many years and now serve as furniture to places vases and photos on :)

I've been on a nostalgia/retro kick and decide I want to get a quadraphonic receiver primarily to listen to music with my Multichannel Oppo player as the source. From lurking in this forum, it seems the Sansuis (with apologies to the Pioneer and Marantz fans) are the ones to go for.

I admit part of the appeal is that the old receivers just look so more more impressive than the mass market AVRs that have been pumped out in the last few years.

My plan is to get a QRX-9001 or QRX-7001 and also get the Yamaha NS—1000M speakers for the front (not sure what to use for the back).

Last edited:
Back