Dual Disc WHAT??? Is Sony Abandoning SACD in Favor of DualDisc?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berninahusq

I FINALLY took the plunge to embrace the SACD format in November 2003 after I was pretty much convinced that this new format would survive the format wars similar to the ones lost regarding Quad in the 70s. What really prompted me to take the plunge was because Sony had already begun offering some of their Quad 70s catalog on multichannel SACDs, albeit very slowly, and then in a very limited number indeed. Since then I have collected 77 SACDs.

So occasionally I would visit the Sony Music SACD website http://www.sonymusic.com/sacd/releaseschedule/index.html to see what was in store to be released in the near future. To my disappointment, this site has said FOR MANY MONTHS that many more releases will be coming soon, but never listed any titles. Upon my futile visit yesterday, I noticed that Sony is now supporting the DualDisc format with a few titles having been released February 8, 2005 (see http://sonybmg.com/dualdisc/). UGH! Arguably an inferior format, and a format that cannot be played on all CD units. In fact, many of the well-known CD and DVD player manufacturers have issued consumer advisory incompatibility of their units with DualDisc, to the extent that any resulting damage could void the warranty, including Sony!! (see http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=12610938). These new Sony DualDiscs have a disclaimer on them that reads "The audio side of this disc does not conform to CD specifications and therefore not all DVD and CD players will play the audio side of this disc." Fortunately my Sony DVD/SACD player plays the two DualDiscs that I have. But are they slowly damaging it?

While in Fry's Electronics today I picked up Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone on sale from a regular price of $14.99 for $11.99 through February 15. I already have this title in CD format but this one offers 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround on the DVD layer. The sonic quality does not approach SACD of course, and the use of surround is very subtle, in fact I didn't really feel THIS WAS a surround recording. The only other Sony DualDisc that interested me was Joshua Bell's Romance of the Violin, but it only offers PCM Stereo and I already have the CD so I won't be buying this one, even if it has excerpts of a Joshua Bell performance of this title. The new Sony DualDisc is the jewel case is cool though.

So what is happening with Sony and the SACD format??? Are they abandoning it to team up with BMG to get into the DualDisc format from now on? Brian Moura, you are my lead authority on SACD and DVD-A new releases, what do you know and can share on this issue?

Maybe we need another category in this website for DualDisc since it seems it is gaining popularity.

Thanks,
Ed Roux

Last edited:
berninahusq said:
Maybe we need another category in this website for DualDisc since it seems it is gaining popularity.

Thanks,
Ed Roux

Ed, I am afraid you may be correct, but I don't really want to create a section for DualDisc, although I suppose if a lot of these Lo-Rez surround titles start appearing out there, then I may have to rethink that.

I would hope that if DualDisc does become popular, that the DVD side become a DVD-A from "most" labels, which would mean (to me) that they were DVD-A's, and fit into the DVD-A section.

I suppose we were spoiled with the HiRez aspect of SACD and DVD-A. I mean, weren't we all thrilled with DTS CDs when they first arrived? Then, those were "yesterday's news" when DVD-A and SACD hit the streets.

I just hope that DualDisc is not a step backward, as I would prefer DTS over DD if we are to lose true DVD-A and SACD surround.

I mean, there is bad news from Sony, strange news from WB (why was Neil Young's GH not a real DVD-A?) I guess we have to sit this one out.

If "Running on Empty" comes out as a Dolby Digital DualDisc, that would be the final kick in the subwoofer.

Time will tell!! :mad:@:

JonUrban said:
I just hope that DualDisc is not a step backward, as I would prefer DTS over DD if we are to lose true DVD-A and SACD surround.

No doubt! I've heard enough music encoded in DTS surround sound to know that it can be enjoyable---so long as the full bit rate is used. However, I'm quite dissatisfied with music in Dolby Digital. Only in some rare cases where it is a concert video have I been able to enjoy Dolby Digital (and, usually, even then I can't). Frankly, if we're talking about multi-channel audio only (without any moving video) then I don't want anything less than DTS. I'd feel much better with DTS if I couldn't have DVD-A or SACD. Of course, it seems quite silly to me not to at least throw, say, a 48kHz/24-Bit MLP DVD-A track onto these DualDiscs so long as there is room. If there isn't, then please give us DTS.

BTW... I can't help but to feel betrayed by Sony Music. I feel quite worried that they've abondoned SACD. (Sure, nothing is official; but it doesn't take a genius to know that they're at the very minium at a crossroads with SACD.) And to think that I've spent the last few years buying up every crappy disc I could and then telling my friends about how wonderful they are. It almost hurts to really enjoy something only to have it seemingly disappear. Of course, hardware support of SACD is still fairly strong from Sony; but that isn't much comfort if the music division is done with it. All it means is that after 10 or 15 years when my current player dies that it'll be a little easier to fine a replacement---probably on eBay. Oh, well... I'll just have to learn to suck it up and be a man about it.

Eugenius said:
......And to think that I've spent the last few years buying up every crappy disc I could and then telling my friends about how wonderful they are.....

Oops! That sounds bad. I didn't mean to make it sound like I purposely tell people that bad mixes sound good. I most certainly don't. I just meant that I buy a lot of SACDs and want others to share in the joy.

Oh, well... I'll still buy every new SACD release that interests me. And probably any interesting DualDiscs, too! :sun

(Look! Everything's turning up SUNNY!!!!)

Personally, I'm boycotting Dual Disks unless they clearly indicate hi res (196 kHz/24 bit) stereo in DVD-A. That would make them analogous to hybrid SACD disks which are a great deal and my first choice in media.

However, I doubt we'll see many of those since DVD-A has not had big acceptance and the hardware base remains small.

I'm highly skeptical of Dual Disks - seems like another music business rip-off to me. I'm still kicking myself for getting fooled on the Neil Young Greatest Hits purchase. I should have know that the fine print that said "DVD-Stereo" was a ruse.

Well I was in Costco today and low and behold they have about six Sony DualDisc titles for $12.99 each (Destiny Child, Joshua Bell, and some other artists that I don't recognize--I must be too old!).

Back