What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was sooo close to getting more pharoah sanders but I got good deal with these instead.. pharoah sanders will have to wait..
20191117_141719.jpg

Nine Days' Wonder Only The Dancers

20191117_143221.jpg

Iguana The Winds of Alamar

Was sooo close to getting more pharoah sanders but I got good deal with these instead.. pharoah sanders will have to wait..
View attachment 44078
Nine Days' Wonder Only The Dancers

View attachment 44080
Iguana The Winds of Alamar

I missed out on that particular Igauna lp, but I did manage to get the U.A. lp (which might not be QS ) :(

FWIW ;
On the other album ( nine days wonder), many of those Bellaphon Bacillus albums are now available on cd in Europe. Just thought I'd toss it out there for anyone interested.

Love in us all says produced by Lee Young

Correct , but I do believe Ed Michel encoded it.

His last QS listing that he provided names a crapload of Impulse, Horizon and previously unknown Sun Ra titles btw. That list can be located in the Sun RA magic city thread , supplied by Mark Anderson.

I missed out on that particular Igauna lp, but I did manage to get the U.A. lp (which might not be QS ) :(

FWIW ;
On the other album ( nine days wonder), many of those Bellaphon Bacillus albums are now available on cd in Europe. Just thought I'd toss it out there for anyone interested.
Nine Days Wonder is a good demo for sq lots of motion/panning. The Iguana album actually has a channel assignment test before the music starts

View attachment 44133

Just received this one last night. QS is an interesting bird to me so I figured, what the heck. I now have the QS LP and the Q8. Decent copy for $6. How could I say No?

Such an excellent quad album.......really shows off the QS encoding as well.

I have 2 copies btw , and the cd as well.
But I kinda like "Fredblues" copy , envy actually , as its on Phonogram (Phillips) one of those rare "Who said Phillips didn't make quad albums " type o things . :)

Anyways.....I hope Larry gets around to reissuing in hi-rez some of his excellent albums.

Hi. All

Sorry I have not been very active off late its because my computer died on me and my friend a computer geek was on holiday for 5 weeks so just got my computer back from him and he brought it back from the died, I was using my brother lap top which had no programs to reduce photos but I am back in business I`v got a back log of Quad material to catch with so stand by...………..📋
BBQ..

I need a full report on that Isley Bro. pleaaaase?

I'm sure @fredblue will chime in as he's logged more time with this one than I have, but I like what I've heard so far - vocals, drums, lead guitar upfront, with some keys and backing vocals in the rears. I'm puzzled by the reports of this somehow being a fake quad...

Last edited:
Such an excellent quad album.......really shows off the QS encoding as well.

I have 2 copies btw , and the cd as well.
But I kinda like "Fredblues" copy , envy actually , as its on Phonogram (Phillips) one of those rare "Who said Phillips didn't make quad albums " type o things . :)

Anyways.....I hope Larry gets around to reissuing in hi-rez some of his excellent albums.

oh i don't think its anything special fizzy! just a German pressing or something? 🤷‍♀️

hope he does so too! sooner rather than later would be lovely! 🤣

Hi. All

Sorry I have not been very active off late its because my computer died on me and my friend a computer geek was on holiday for 5 weeks so just got my computer back from him and he brought it back from the died, I was using my brother lap top which had no programs to reduce photos but I am back in business I`v got a back log of Quad material to catch with so stand by...………..📋
BBQ..

sorry to hear of your computer problems BBQ.. glad to hear you're back on top!! 😍

I'm sure @fredblue will chime in as he's logged more time with this one than I have, but I like what I've heard so far - vocals, drums, lead guitar upfront, with some keys and backing vocals in the rears. I'm puzzled by the reports of this somehow being a fake quad...

ahh.. i've probably logged more time with it than the Isleys themselves! 🤣
i've 3 copies of the SQ and have played/decoded them all to oblivion!! 🤯

of course its not fake, people just spontaneously combust and spout off sometimes without checking for facts first! i do it all the time! 😉

what i will say though, is, if you have the Q8 and the time, rack it up against the SQ... 🤔

its really interesting (to me) how there's what sound like traces of cancellation artefacts on the Q8.. aamof i prefer the Quad of the SQ run through a Surround Master or Tate to the Q8!! not the sound quality, the surround quality! 😱

yes!! get your head around that.. Dave and i have gone over it a few times over the years and it's his belief (and to some extent i agree with him) that the Live It Up Q8 (which came in a later style CBS Q8 shell, more in line with what EW&F's Spirit from '76 came in) was possibly a decode of the SQ master rather than the discrete 4-ch and was for whatever reason released sometime after the SQ LP.. possibly a couple of years later!! how bizarre is that!! 🤪

yes!! get your head around that.. Dave and i have gone over it a few times over the years and it's his belief (and to some extent i agree with him) that the Live It Up Q8 (which came in a later style CBS Q8 shell, more in line with what EW&F's Spirit from '76 came in) was possibly a decode of the SQ master rather than the discrete 4-ch and was for whatever reason released sometime after the SQ LP.. possibly a couple of years later!! how bizarre is that!! 🤪

I still haven't seen anything to persuade me otherwise - every Q8 copy of Live it Up I've seen (which is somewhere between 6 and 12, including one that's currently on eBay) has been in the "final" style Columbia cartridge, the one with the bulky/square back end, which they didn't start using until either the very end of 1975 or the beginning of 1976. To me that suggests that the album wasn't released on Q8 until then (the SQ LP was definitely released in late '74, there's an entry in the catalog of phonographic coyprights for it), and when they went to find the discrete 4-channel master it was (for whatever reason) missing or unavailable, so the Q8 seems to be some kind of SQ decode of the encoded master tape used for the LP. I don't think it was a Tate decode since it didn't come to market until 1976 I think, but it's probably a Sony SQD-2020 (or whatever their top of the line studio equivalent was) and being from the master tape rather than a decode of an LP, it fares pretty decently, and is definitely very directional in places.

The quad mix of Live it Up however is a revelation though, compared to the stereo version. Live it Up always felt like a "lesser" album between 3+3 and The Heat is On - I could never put my finger on exactly why I felt that way, but the stereo mix always felt a bit muddy and indistinct to me and the songs just didn't seem to "stick" for whatever reason. It also feels like the whole album was mixed using some kind of limiter or compressor to give it that gritty kind of sound that Motown was famous for, and for me it doesn't work for the more refined kind of style the Isleys were pursuing by that point. The quad mix suffers none of those problems - it's way more dry and discrete (like most SQ mixes) and dynamic too. It reminds me a lot of the difference between the stereo and quad mixes of Derringer's All American Boy, and like that album, I never really "got" it until I heard the quad version. The quad mix of Live it Up is so head-and-shoulders above the stereo mix for me, that if I could get even a digital transfer of the SQ master tape to listen to in stereo, I'd never listen to the original stereo mix again.

Back