What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back from my trip to Europe

Included in my booty of CDs/DVDs is:

Vivaldi - 4 Seasons (Dan Laurin) SACD Surround DSD
Jean Michelle Jarre - Oxygen 30th anniversary CD/DVD re-recording in 5.1

Many DVD concerts

Gentle Giant CD/DVD sets with Quad Mix, only €11 each in Germany

I will say that many shops selling CDs and DVDs are at the verge of closing down now that CDs are no longer a wanted item according to one guy in France who was selling his entire CD stock for only €5 each.
Even box sets were €5
My suitcase was quite full.

Roxy Music - Avalon SACD
Beck - Sea Change SACD

I don't actually know either of these albums but managed to score the pair for about £90 shipped from the US, so I figured even if I don't like them, they were a fairly good investment!

Roxy Music - Avalon SACD
Beck - Sea Change SACD

I don't actually know either of these albums but managed to score the pair for about £90 shipped from the US, so I figured even if I don't like them, they were a fairly good investment!

nice one! (y)

they are two of the most amazing surround mixes ever!!

time for a :banana: to celebrate!!

Back from my trip to Europe

Included in my booty of CDs/DVDs is:

Vivaldi - 4 Seasons (Dan Laurin) SACD Surround DSD
Jean Michelle Jarre - Oxygen 30th anniversary CD/DVD re-recording in 5.1

Many DVD concerts

Gentle Giant CD/DVD sets with Quad Mix, only €11 each in Germany

I will say that many shops selling CDs and DVDs are at the verge of closing down now that CDs are no longer a wanted item according to one guy in France who was selling his entire CD stock for only €5 each.
Even box sets were €5
My suitcase was quite full.

get ready to make some fine phono cable spaghetti re-routing all your multiCh outs to get those Gentle Giants to sound right! the quad mixes on those DVDs are all over the place! practically every channel has incorrect placement! one of the rears is a front, one of the left's a right, goofy stuff like that! there's a QQ thread all about how to correct the mixes if you do a search here.

get ready to make some fine phono cable spaghetti re-routing all your multiCh outs to get those Gentle Giants to sound right! the quad mixes on those DVDs are all over the place! practically every channel has incorrect placement! one of the rears is a front, one of the left's a right, goofy stuff like that! there's a QQ thread all about how to correct the mixes if you do a search here.

All I have is a HDMI cable connected from my BluRay to the Amp.
Has anyone re-jigged the Gentle Giant Quads and re-burned them to DVD-R?

LizardKing might well be your man for this..

He posted some time ago:

Re: Gentle Giant's "Free Hand" and "In'terview" coming on DVD audio in february..
Originally Posted by artwwweb
Re. the channel swap debate. I agree some of the placements are weird, but there is something that convinces me that the DVD is as intended: the finger clicks at the start of the disc. They alternate from centre front to centre rear, i.e. they are LF+RF then LS+RS. If the channels were swapped, they would be LF+RS and LS+RF. That would make them centre of listening area in both cases (assuming a perfect quad set up), so there would be no point alternating them. So I am sure the release is as intended. I agree with other posters that this was probably an attempt to be as radical as possible – obviously too radical.
My recommendation is to swap the rear channels - RS + LS not front to back (e.g. LS + LF). If you swap RS + LS, then the clicks pretty much remain the same at the start of the album (i.e. front to back).

Also note the guitar at about 22 sec in the first track kicks in (as released) in the RS channel. If you swap it is in the LS which matches the placement (left channel) in the original stereo mix.

Also listen to the vocals at the start of the 2nd track - with it swapped you get a really nice effect of vocals in the left, then rear channels, then right, then front....

Bjork's a good'un, Metallica a disappointment (imho)..

I had Metallica when it was new, remembered really liking it initially. I mean, it jams real hard. But in terms of a high resolution disc and the mix. It's just average I think. Again, it jams hard and may likely sound better than any standard Metallica CD. So, from that standpoint, it's good.

Actually to get it right (thanks to ArmyOfQuad) you need to swap the channels as follows :mad:@::

Move the front left to front right
Move the front right to rear right
Move the rear right to front left

Described further here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...624-amp-Dolby)&p=174961&viewfull=1#post174961

And yes - I re-authored a blu-ray (which can be burned to a DVD-R).

I saw a few used dvda today. The Bela Fleck at 8.99 and Gaucho at 20. I have those but saw some silveline dualdiscs that I don't have. Wishbone Ash, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and the Pogues. Are all of the Silverlines horrible? thanks, Scott

I saw a few used dvda today. The Bela Fleck at 8.99 and Gaucho at 20. I have those but saw some silveline dualdiscs that I don't have. Wishbone Ash, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and the Pogues. Are all of the Silverlines horrible? thanks, Scott

not all the Silverlines are horrible, no.

depending on your musical preferences there's some surprisingly good surround mixes among their admittedly mostly terrible stuff.

some Silverlines (and Myutopia, they're one and the same) I like (with nice surround mixes):
We Love Everybody You're Next - Yellow Note,
Surrounded - Tipper,
Narrow Path - Josh One,
The Best of The Sugarhill Gang,
Ace Of Spades - Motörhead.

Got Bjork's Vespertine in the mail today. Really love the sound. The LFE is really good. Anyone have any knowledge on the Dual Discs she released? I'd like to get the rest of her catalog.

I think some, if not all of her other surround releases are not dvd-audio. Be sure to check the format if you are looking at any others.

There is a true DVD-A version of Medulla that got released - See below:
002 (454 x 600).jpg

All the rest are DVD-Video with DTS 96/24... IIRC

Santana - Caravanserai - MOFI SACD 2CH - Not bad through the Surround Master... Comparing it to the KnK SQ Transfer....

:51banana:

I bought the Japan SACD of this years ago. Although it's the best stereo copy, I prefer the SQ, except the US SQ is sans gatefold cover. cheesy. Although my Q8 offers the best separation, I prefer the much cleaner sound of the 2ch SACD.

front.jpg

Santana - Caravanserai - MOFI SACD 2CH - Not bad through the Surround Master... Comparing it to the KnK SQ Transfer....

:51banana:

Just got the Metallica DVD-Audio I ordred off metallica.com. Will pop it in tomorrow when children aren't around and deviltry can be loudly played through my system.

Also have Beck's Guero coming later this week. Just won Steely Dan's Everything Must Go coming next week. I've gone DVD-Audio crazy lately. I go back and forth on the formats but DVD-Audio is currently ahead of SACD right now. Then again, I put in Wish You Were Here and I swing back the other way. I wish The Wall would find its way on SACD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back