What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a good week or 2 (tho X-spensive): Robert Reed - Sanctuary | Allman Bros. Band - At Fillmore East (DTS version, already had SACD) | OPETH - Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Watershed, Heritage, Pale Communion (should have Still Life tomorrow) | Aryeon - Actual Fantasy | Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance | Blackfield - IV | George Benson - Breezin' (SACD) | (should also have Anathema - Distant Satellites tomorrow) | and last, but not least Kooper Bloomfield & Stills - Super Session (SACD) should be here Tuesday, September 9. Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! :spot

On deck: XTC - Drums and Wires & Yes - Relayer ...To infinity...and beyond!

Now Playing: OPETH - Blackwater Park

My latest multichannel software since middle of July

Eric Bibb - Spirit & the Blues Hybrid SACD

cqcaatknu1fsriacw.jpg

Nick Cave - Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus (2012 Remaster) 2CD+DVD

cqcac0h0xh9n2pqeo.jpg

Rob Reed - Sanctury CD+DVD DTS 5.1

cqdg26g4k2piq9m69.jpg

Tom Petty - Hypnotic Eye Blu-ray Audio

cqqdj5w84vr562ei8.jpg

Aaron Neville - Devotion DVD-A

cqvkc0lrlrz0ary7k.jpg

Magenta - Seven CD+DVD

cqvkd2d6gxzim62gg.jpg

Bonnie Prince Billy - The Letting Go DVD-A

cr7prg4j8mblkvrar.jpg

Mando Diao - Aelita Blu-ray Pure Audio

cr8sdc71ntd4x7njn.jpg

Van Zant - Brother to Brother DVD-Audio

crglvrtt84ywcb65s.jpg

Monty Alexander - Rocksteady SACD

crgly4ivbgewlbzzk.jpg

Magenta - Twenty Seven Club CD+DVD

crglz1rr4i3e03gts.jpg

Moody Blues - To Our Childrens...Hybrid SACD

crju9hyq18wdv4mwg.jpg

Hello!

I just picked up a copy of Rolf Enström Rolf Enström "Quarks" thanks to Grillbill. I would hereby like to alert the readership of this blog to this SACD. It is a VERY active surround mix of ambient electronic sound. For anyone familiar with the old Grateful Dead side project of Phil Lesh called Seastones, this is something like that. No melody whatsoever, but very interesting (and sometimes disturbing) sonic landscape, and again excellent surround if you like swirling and discrete elements. I love this disc, and it is quite reasonable on Amazon. I have also ordered another surround title of his and can report back. If others pick this up I would love to see a poll. I went back to a Von Kessels disc I have which is also similar, but the surround mix on the VK disc now seems weak as compared to Quarks (although it IS active).

So heads up electronic sounds fans. This is a must have for those who like experimental sound!

Ken

Hey All,

Just a follow-up to the previous post: I received Rolf Enström - Immeasurable Traces, the other SACD by Rolf Enström. I have now listened to this twice, and here is my report: If the description above intrigues you, I suggest buying Quarks first and trying it on for size. If you like Quarks, there should be enough for you to like about Immeasurable Traces. The latter has both vocals (although not lyrics) and saxophones, but is still not particularly melodic. Perhaps in short passages, but still the emphasis is on sound rather than music. I enjoyed Quarks more, although I quite like track 7 on Immeasurable Traces, in fact so much so that I feel the reasonable cost of the disc was well justified.

This stuff will not get frequent play by me, but in the right mood this is great stuff for my experimental electronic leanings.

FYI.

George Benson - Breezin' - SACD - My first Audio Fidelity SACD... I don't like the packaging - but as they say - its all about the music...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back