Why is everyone so jazzed about ATMOS?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it advances sound to the point of being able to fool a blind man into believing that the actual event is occurring before him, then we will have succeeded what the original goal of audio reproduction is. That is what we are after. I hope audio and video keeps advancing to the point of having virtual reality so perfect that I can experience sex with Raquel Welch in my listening room, complete with " Happy Ending ".

I'm pretty excited about Atmos, primarily because: New Format = More Surround Content.

I recently added 4 new ceiling speakers to my existing 7.1 system and although I still haven't spent a great deal of time doing any meaningful comparisons, I'd have to say that EVERYTHING sounds more pleasing due to greater immersion and spread. 'Everything' includes playing 5.1 mixes up-mixed to 7.1.4 but especially real Atmos mixes played on my 7.1.4 system vs playing on 7.1 or 5.1 system.

There's also NO DOUBT that Atmos (and DTS:X) object based mixes sound BETTER on a 7.1.4 system than the same mixes played on 5.1 or 7.1. And that's on the same equipment/speakers. It's analogous to Q-Eight's story posted here today about playing mono on a 5.1 system. Its a QQ WTF? Playing Atmos on a 5.1 system? That's a WTF too. Yes you'll here a 5.1 mix but its not the 16 object mix the engineer encoded.

"oh, don't bother. I've got a Beatles CD right here." And it was all MONO. But this doofus sits in the middle of the room and.... I shit you not.... he goes: "Man, you can really hear that 5.1 sound!"

I think the best thing QQ'ers can do is find someone nearby that has an Atmos system and Atmos content and see if you can get an invite to listen. Especially if you can find a fellow QQ'er with existing quad and 5.1 music so you can listen to some upmixes done on an Atmos/DTS:X AVR too.

Melbourne, AU members are welcome to contact me to arrange a visit.

My prediction for Dolby Atmos based on prior surround launches: If it doesn't turn a profit for DOLBY/UNIVERSAL within 5-6 years ......KAPUT! It will continue to be utilized for Blu Ray and UHD4K Soundtracks, MOST of which have been remastered for either Dolby Atmos or dts:X but unless SUPERGROUPS past and present sign on and release in the format ....all bets are OFF! Abbey Road is certainly an auspicious start!

As the Stereo Vinyl revolution continues, IMO, taking the steam away from SURROUND DIGITAL REMIXES/REMASTERS and even cassettes are once again rearing their ugly little heads and those ubiquitous ear buds are seemingly EVERYWHERE,
it will be un uphill battle to introduce this newest format into an already overcrowded arena.

But akin to what another QQ Poster wisely surmised: ANYTHING remixed into surround today is a BONUS and should be WELCOMED and for those NOT embracing ATMOS ....wherever there's an ATMOS remix ..... it's usually accompanied by a 5.1 remix as well.....or can be downmixed into 5.1 by MOST modern players!

BTW, will DTS counter rival DOLBY's foray into SURROUND MUSIC with dts:X ....... BIG Hmmmmmmm! After all, it was DTS, IMO, which started the surround sound music revolution with their DTS CDs! Hey, the MORE the MERRIER!

See the source image

Last edited:
I have this in 1080P and DTS:X object audio from a DTS Demo blu-ray. It's INCREDIBLE!!

Nigel Stanford (New Zealand musician)

VERY Cool, Homer. So it won't be a stretch to think that DTS will be engaged into dts:X surround music ....... Some of those DTS CDs were OUT THERE, meaning in a good way, and I always loved how they were able to license their music for surround release from so many diverse labels.

VERY Cool, Homer. So it won't be a stretch to think that DTS will be engaged into dts:X surround music ....... Some of those DTS CDs were OUT THERE, meaning in a good way, and I always loved how they were able to license their music for surround release from so many diverse labels.

Yes, nearly impossible titles from Polygram (Mercury), Capitol / EMI (Apple), and then those Columbia / Epic epics like Poco, Stills, Jeff Beck, and Edgar Winter were really some amazing licensing efforts that came through for them. Had they been able to continue a while longer things works have panned out even better. I even like their classical choices for the most part.

But anyway, let’s see what ATMOS can get licensed and released, or I mean licensed and remixed. You gotta do the surround mix before you can reissue anything right.

I can't figure that out, but if it ends up getting us more surround music, well, bring it on. We can always adapt it ourselves once it gets out there.
Yes, as long as they don’t try to ram upmixes down our throats then it’s all great!

I look forward to hearing Bob Clearmountain, Steven Wilson, and others’ efforts in this brand new era opening up for us, and the Bernie Grundman, And Kevin Gray mastering folks coming on board. Universal Music Group said to be on-board with their multitrack tape library being available and all.

Maybe with physical media fading, ATMOS mixed albums (not just songs) will arrive as downloads - and we will all be happy with so many more surround offerings.

But I don’t know either.......

For me it is simply just too complicated and expensive a matter to go beyond the 7.1 system that I have now.

It just sounds like another gimmick to me. I never bought into any of that 7.1 tom-foolery simply because there's no actual need for more speakers. Just like anything 5.1 can do, Quad can do with less speakers and hardware. So you think it'd be the natural choice.

I've used Lexicon 7.1 processors since March 1989. Lexicon Logic7 in a Lexicon branded processor is quite good and can be used as an overlay on certain 4.0 and 5.1 recordings. It really opens up the sound stage. (It can also completely booger things up...and most of the time I stick with straight quad or 5.1.) Also, I have found DPLIIx to be far superior than straight DPLII in enhancing stereo to multi-channel. Then there is Involve 4.0/5.1 which is quite good. So many really neat options already without delving into Atmos.

I've got a Beatles CD right here." And it was all MONO. But this doofus sits in the middle of the room and.... I shit you not.... he goes: "Man, you can really hear that 5.1 sound!"
*jaw hits floor*

Great story Q-Eight! Perhaps this fellow was involved with the mono-to-surround productions on certain Silverline discs. o_O

I hate to be this way, but the comments seem to warrant my input...first off, I don't care if you don't like it or do. No need to complain and ruin it for people who do. I respect most opinions, but keep in mind, they are just that. Everyone has one. There are no facts here, just observations. Most of them negative. I don't think when quad started or 5.1 that there were hundreds of titles instantly available, much less every person enjoyed every one. Patience. But we as surround sound gurus and prime purchasers can probably do more harm in complaining than help. If you don't want it, don't get it. Please don't beat it up for people who do. By all means feel free to share an opinion, but I feel as if this is being unfairly bashed and beaten down. Also, the money involved really isn't that much more to add a pair of speakers. Basically any speaker works for this. It is not part of the premium sound we expect and enjoy, but more directional noise, imo. Ceiling mounted is ideal, but hell add a wedge under a pair of speakers to angle them to the ceiling and it is close enough to enjoy the separation. It is a gimmick, but to most people so is the other surround we enjoy. Hell, look at all the soundbars and the fake surround they try to produce. We are losing. Lets not help that any more than necessary by bashing Atmos. Maybe, just maybe, it will bring a few more people to our beloved surround sound family and gain us more influence over the distribution of old and new titles alike.

Sorry for ranting and pissing anyone off, but felt like someone had to reroute this conversation to the positive side a bit.
I can see the others point. How much is too much! That is in the hands of each person and what they are looking for. I don't have the space for anything more than 5.1 , but if I did ! Surround "Sound" is not just about music. I personally haven't had the chance to go to a concert that had more than four towers of speakers . I can remember California Jam , ELP playing in quad . The keyboardist and keyboard rotating on the stage. Or was it just the LSD !? Sound effects and movies benefit greatly from multichannel. Like surround sound , 3D movies are great (my opinion). I love the immersion effect of both.

If Atmos is getting this much negativity within the surround community, what is it going to face when it comes to acceptance by the general public.

The general public will never experience Atmos or any other well-reproduced surround sound anywhere but in a commercial theater. What percentage of the general population do you think actually has a 5.1-or-more system anywhere in their house? I'll bet it's less than 3%. Sound bars are winning the popularity race now, and surround speaker setups are fading into the sunset.

If it advances sound to the point of being able to fool a blind man into believing that the actual event is occurring before him, then we will have succeeded what the original goal of audio reproduction is. That is what we are after. I hope audio and video keeps advancing to the point of having virtual reality so perfect that I can experience sex with Raquel Welch in my listening room, complete with " Happy Ending ".
HOLODECK !

I will add one other point; I'm not expecting a ton of ATMOS/DTS X/AURO 3D native music-only content to come out (for the reasons that many of the nay-sayers have pointed out here). But I really do enjoy (I've made this point before) playing with the various upmixers to stereo/MC sources which makes my adding of height channels worth the effort.

Back