Women in (surround) music - " Sisters With Transistors"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
I don't think any of her music was released in Quad (but I think somebody did the Dr Who theme tune) but Delia Derbyshire was one of the unsung pioneers of Electronic Music and worked mainly for the BBC Radiophonic Workshop (Delia Derbyshire - History of the BBC ), apart from the version of the Dr Who theme tune, her most well known release was as part of The White Noise: An Electric Storm (1969)

This looks like a very cool documentary which will be out April 23rd. It features several well-known quad women including Wendy Carlos and Suzanne Ciani.

Not sure if any of this will focus on surround sound, but the documentary looks very interesting when it comes to electronic music.

https://theplaylist.net/sisters-with-transistors-trailer-exclusive-20210419/

I signed up for a one-month membership for a reasonable $5 to get access to the film and panel discussions.

Well-done movie with lots of historical footage.
Available on-demand to members for another ten days.
Panel discussions are archived as well for on-demand viewing.

More bang for the buck, starting the 29th there will be a "sidebar" series of films featuring music by some of the artists, including Laurie Anderson's Home of the Brave.
With Music By…: A Sisters with Transistors Sidebar Series - Metrograph

An essay about some of the artists:
Sounding Out Electronic Music’s Female Pioneers - Metrograph

Back