XTC in 5.1!!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an answer to the question if the album Mummer can be reissued on 180gr. vinyl, Andy replied

Although we haven't heard anything yet, it is still looking good :)

Any idea when they'll see the light of day? what format will they be released on? It could be an expensive year!

Me too! 1980 Aragon Ballroom, Chicago. Opening for the Police

I heard that show advertised and really wanted to go. Didn't Squeeze open for XTC, then The Police?

I count myself lucky to be living in a time when XTC is soon to be released in surround. Sure am glad somebody's keeping the torch lit.

from Andy's twitter:
NONSUCH 5.1 soon. Spent the day in headphones listening to new stereo mixes by Steven Wilson for DRUMS AND WIRES. Good stuff indeed.

So I guess we can expect a stereo/5.1 remix of "Drums & Wire" too! :)

Yes I got this tweet from Andy:
"I've just passed the new stereo mixes,which will be spread to 5.1 shortly. Feels like you are sat in the Townhouse studios + us"

So it's almost official Drums and Wires in 5.1 is on the way!

Come on already.
I guess I'm resigned to this not happening until Fall.
Hopefully it won't be a trickle like the King Crimson.
At least there can't be a detour through umpteen live sets.

I was first introduced to XTC with the U.S. single LP version of "English Settlement". I loved the record so much that I heard there was a double LP import. The rest is history. My second XTC LP was "Black Sea" followed by their earlier work. From then on, I valued every single XTC release including Dukes of Stratosphere until "Skylarking". I never heard that LP until it was released on 45RPM 12 inch a couple of years back. Oh, I did get the CD "Oranges and Lemons", loved the music but hated the sound. I abandoned XTC again. I've never heard "Nonsuch" only a couple of their hits or anything after it. I look forward to and will buy every single surround release whether the be on BD or DVD-A.

I'm not sure how good "Oranges and Lemons" could be in surround since it was recorded digitally, back in the day. Though, they did a great job with Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms".

I'm not sure how good "Oranges and Lemons" could be in surround since it was recorded digitally, back in the day. Though, they did a great job with Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms".
I always thought that O&L was analog. The LP has a full freq. Spectrum well above 30K!!!
XTC.jpg
O&L in 5.1 would be the ultimate wet dream!

I was just playing the new dvd-a by The Vicar and saw an XTC comparison and I added that it reminded me of The Dukes of Stratosphear, which of course made me think of how good that stuff would be on a 5.1 DVD-A - wonder if that one is part of the plan at all?

I always thought that O&L was analog. The LP has a full freq. Spectrum well above 30K!!!

I will look into this and see if I can find anything but I always notice the overly bright digital sound on a few of the songs. So, I assumed it was a digital recording. I know, it's not good to assume but I was going with a gut feeling. Maybe, Neil knows something?

O&L in 5.1 would be the ultimate wet dream!

I'm waaaaay ahead of you on this one. ;)

I do have to add that XTC is one of the greatest bands of all time...in my top ten along with The Beatles, Paul McCartney (and Wings), Split Enz, Squeeze, Moody Blues, Porcupine Tree, Alan Parsons Project, a-ha, 10cc, Talking Heads, etc.

I do have to add that XTC is one of the greatest bands of all time...in my top ten along with The Beatles, Paul McCartney (and Wings), Split Enz, Squeeze, Moody Blues, Porcupine Tree, Alan Parsons Project, a-ha, 10cc, Talking Heads, etc.

Nice list - I like Split Enz being in there.....

Nice list - I like Split Enz being in there.....

I was just thinking off the top of my head and forgot Queen and Rush. All these bands are played quite frequently in my house. I will say that I've been burnt out on Rush for over a year now and haven't played them. Nor, purchased "2112" in 5.1, as of yet.

Could you imagine Split Enz in surround?! :sun

Could you imagine Split Enz in surround?! :sun

Yes - I could (and have) how about this one:

Dizrythmia

220px-Split_dizr.jpg

At least we have Crowded House....... on DVD-A... The only "New Zealand" surround title I know of....

Yes - I could (and have) how about this one:

Dizrythmia

220px-Split_dizr.jpg

At least we have Crowded House....... on DVD-A... The only "New Zealand" surround title I know of....

I'd forgotten about the Crowded House DVD-A I haven't listened to that in a while, another one for tomorrow - I saw Split Enz a few times in the UK, only CD I have of theirs is "True Colours"

Such a creative band. Especially, their earlier work with Phil Judd. When Neil Finn joined the band, they should have changed their name to Crowded House at that time. No, I'm not discounting their commercial years because I still like it. Oh, sorry! This is the wish I had an XTC recording in 5.1 Thread.

OT Would love to have Mental Notes and the later Schenell Fenster - The Sound Of Trees offshoot.

XTC has such a quirk rich catalog it's going to be fun rediscovering it.

Back