Yes "Fragile": DVD-A/BluRay Out October 30th (Remixed by Steven Wilson)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just getting started listening to this, going right to Heart of the Sunrise--top notch surround mix! Amazing that they put the old Rhino mix on this BluRay--that must drop the value of that DVD-A from $100+ down to $2.99!

That's probably pretty close, heh.

So cool that this arrives on my birthday! Can I have Tales from Topographic for my birthday next year, please, before I run out of birthdays!?

Hee! This should be copied over to the "Ask Steve Wilson" section!

-- Jim (Happy Birthday, by the way!)

Burning Dust shipped my copy on the 27th of Oct and it still hasn't arrived? Anyone else waiting for theirs?

Yes, I'm still waiting for both editions of "Fragile" and "Octopus", plus "Premonitions" from Amazon UK.
Like I have said before, the arrival time here in the US for mail from the UK is wildly unpredictable.
For example, Burning Shed shipped my copy of "Oranges & Lemons" on a Thursday, and it arrived here the following Monday, easily the quickest shipment I have ever received from them.
I'm hoping at least "Octopus" and "Fragile" arrive tomorrow, cause Friday is "Beatles 1+" day for me! :)

Just getting started listening to this, going right to Heart of the Sunrise--top notch surround mix! Amazing that they put the old Rhino mix on this BluRay--that must drop the value of that DVD-A from $100+ down to $2.99!

So cool that this arrives on my birthday! Can I have Tales from Topographic for my birthday next year, please, before I run out of birthdays!?

Given that "The Yes Album", "Fragile", "Close to the Edge", and "Relayer" have all been released now, "Tales from Topographic Oceans" should be the next (and probably final) remixed and expanded Yes reissue to be released. You'll probably have another good birthday next year I think! :)

Man, am I still anxiously waiting for this. Fingers crossed for tomorrow but I won't hold my breath. The joys of living in Western Australia lol.

My Fragile CD/Blu Ray was shipped from Headphone Dust on the 27th, haven't received that yet. The CD/DVD-A was shipped from Burningshed on the 30th. I received the DVD/A yesterday. ... During the first listening at times I felt like I was listening to new arrangements. by the end of the 3rd round I am very happy. I hear many things I've NEVER heard before . Its A Monster! That's all I will say for now till others get to listen and process this beast for themselves. ... I also have the older dvda by the way.

Here's what's in it...

Item 1 on left is the usual booklet that has some stories and nice pics.
Item 2 is another smaller booklet with more pics
Item 3 is the disc and the sleeve it came in under it. (edit - there is another black case and another disc I forgot to show)
Item 4 is the clamshell type case the whole set came in.

View attachment 22768

For those of you who don't know...

Item 2 is a replica of the original booklet that came with the LP.

I received my DVD-A copy a couple of days ago (from Headphone Dust).

The other comments are 110% correct...this 5.1 mix is spectacular and blows away the 2002 DVD-A release and then some. I fully remember picking up the latter when it was first released and being very disappointed, especially when compared to other far superior releases at the time such as Hotel California, Rumours, Homecoming, Foreigner 4, etc. I kept thinking as I listened to the 2002 release that the person who had mixed it just didn't seem to understand that there even were any back channels, or that the vocals needed to be more centered (since there was this thing called a "center channel" now). :confused:

But this new release is how it should have been done in the first place! Thank you again to Mr. Wilson! :banana:

Jon

Listened to this once last night so take this with a grain of salt as my opinion will no doubt change with repeated listenings, but with a cold setting in (Just in time for my Beatles 1 in 5.1 to come - bummer) I wanted to say that the sound last night (when my ears were clear) was terrific. I can't say whether it beats the 2002 release but the cool thing is that is on this disc too so you can make your own comparisons. Enjoy, another fantastic surround release.

Got this today.
First run through of the 2-channel.
Spectacular, just spectacular.
Yes at the height of their powers, imo.
Redundant I know, but Steven Wilson continues his home run string.
Thanks Steven.

I also highly recommend listening to the instrumental tracks.
Like the other SW releases, these to me reveal the heart of the recordings and the musician's talent.
Fragile is outstanding.
Regardless of whether you appreciate Yes music, these guys were\are phenomenal musicians.

A note about the clarity of the new mix. I had never noticed before how out of time the bass and piano are from each other during "Heart of the Sunrise" from 8:06 to 8:13 (the riff just before "Straight light moving..."). In the SW mix, it's clear and easy to hear. On the original mix, everything is kind of blurred at that point, but when I listen for the bad timing, it's there. It's just not as noticable.

:(
Bull Moose is now showing that my order of Fragile is out of stock, but should be shipping in 2-3 days.

Hey Mr. Postman look and see,
If there's a multi-channel disk for me,
I've been waiting a long, long time,
For the music that I ordered on-line !!! :howl

Hi Ed, :)

Check this out:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Support-Steven-Wilson&highlight=steven+wilson

Steven sells direct and he gets a bigger cut(from what I have heard.) So I always buy his mixes from his store. My way to say thank you to him and directly show him my interest in his 5.1 remixing projects... Just food for thought.

Cheers!

DMJ

Good afternoon Mr M. Did you get your Fragile yet? A definite 10, I've never heard it sound better. :friday:

Good afternoon Mr M. Did you get your Fragile yet? A definite 10, I've never heard it sound better. :friday:

Colsky me mate!

Bloody Richard the Third! No. I am still waiting for it to arrive in me mailbox.

Although I cherish each & every YES 5.1 remix we get, I rarely play fragile(Yessongs versions BLOW it away completely, for my listening dollar...)

But I am very glad to hear it has been getting so many fab reviews!

chrissquire.jpg

Colsky me mate!

Bloody Richard the Third! No. I am still waiting for it to arrive in me mailbox.

Although I cherish each & every YES 5.1 remix we get, I rarely play fragile(Yessongs versions BLOW it away completely, for my listening dollar...)

But I am very glad to hear it has been getting so many fab reviews!

View attachment 22844

I agree about Fragile, and the same for The Yes Album. I would say though that both of these albums have been made fresh again in my eyes (and my ears!) by these superb new 5.1 versions. You'll love the sound of the drums and bass on this new fragile.

ps Excellent picture!

Back