Steven Wilson Yes "Fragile" Super Deluxe Edition out in June with Dolby Atmos mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Yes_Fragile_DLX.jpg

https://store.rhino.com/en/rhino-st...uper-deluxe-edition-lp4cdbd/603497827770.html

Yes's fourth album, FRAGILE, first reached the American Top 10 in February 1972. Reaching platinum in the U.K. and double platinum in the U.S., the record launched the to new heights with hits like “Roundabout” and its beloved B-side, “Long Distance Runaround.”

FRAGILE (SUPER DELUXE EDITION) is an extensive reissue featuring a newly remasteredversion of the original album on both CD and vinyl, plus rare and unreleased recordings. A Blu-ray disc completes the collection with Steven Wilson's new mixes, including the album in Dolby Atmos and 5.1 Mix DTS-HD MA.Renowned audi o engineer Bernie Grundman cut lacquers for the set’s LP.

FRAGILE marked keyboardist Rick Wakeman’s debut with Yes, which included Jon Anderson (lead vocals), Chris Squire (bass, vocals), Bill Bruford (drums), and Steve Howe (guitar). After he joined in the summer of 1971, the band recorded nine songs for the album, four group arrangements (“Roundabout”), and five individual compositions, including Anderson’s “We Have Heaven” and Howe’s instrumental “Mood For A Day.”

FRAGILE (SUPER DELUXE EDITION) introduces a new remix of the album and instrumental mixes by Wilson. In addition, two discs of rarities provide a glimpse of the album’s creative journey, from early versions of “Roundabout” and “South Side Of The Sky” to unreleased live recordings from the Fragile Tour, including “Long Distance Runaround / The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus).”

FRAGILE holds a special place in Yes’ history as the first album to feature artwork by English artist Roger Dean, whose style is now synonymous with the band. Music journalist Syd Schwartz describes the deep connection between the two. “Few marriages of sound and vision are as perfectly suited as Yes and Roger Dean – it was like they grabbed the same shooting star simultaneously. The iconic Yes logo was still an album away, but Fragile established a cosmic vibe forever associate

Disc 1: Original Album Remastered

1. ROUNDABOUT [8:32]

2. CANS AND BRAHMS [1:38]

3. WE HAVE HEAVEN [1:40]

4. SOUTH SIDE OF THE SKY [7:56]

5. FIVE PER CENT FOR NOTHING [0:36]

6. LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND [3:30]

7. THE FISH (SCHINDLERIA PRAEMATURUS) [2:38]

8. MOOD FOR A DAY [2:58]

9. HEART OF THE SUNRISE [11:26]

Disc 2: 2024 Remixes & Instrumentals

2024 Remixes

2. CANS AND BRAHMS [1:40]

3. WE HAVE HEAVEN [1:42]

4. SOUTH SIDE OF THE SKY [8:02]

5. FIVE PER CENT FOR NOTHING [0:36]

6. LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND [3:30]

7. THE FISH (SCHINDLERIA PRAEMATURUS) [2:39]

8. MOOD FOR A DAY [2:58]

9. HEART OF THE SUNRISE [10:38]

10. WE HAVE HEAVEN (Reprise) [0:48]

2024 Instrumental Mixes

11. ROUNDABOUT [8:31]

12. WE HAVE HEAVEN [1:40]

13. SOUTH SIDE OF THE SKY [8:04]

14. LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND [3:30]

15. THE FISH (SCHINDLERIA PRAEMATURUS) [2:39]

16. HEART OF THE SUNRISE [10:39]

17. WE HAVE HEAVEN (Reprise) [0:47]

Disc 3: Rarities

1. ROUNDABOUT (US Single Edit) [3:27]

2. LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND (US Single Edit) [3:15]

3. ALL FIGHTERS PAST (Steven Wilson Mix) [2:33]

4. SOUTH SIDE OF THE SKY (Early Take) [6:20]

5. ROUNDABOUT (Rehearsal Take/Early Mix) [8:10]

6. MOOD FOR ANOTHER DAY [2:59]

7. WE HAVE HEAVEN (Full Version) [Steven Wilson Mix] [2:20]

8. SOUTH SIDE OF THE SKY (Early Version) [Steven Wilson Mix] [5:10]

9. LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND (Steven Wilson Edit)* [3:38]

10. HEART OF THE SUNRISE (Steven Wilson Edit)* [4:06]

11. AMERICA [10:30]

12. ROUNDABOUT (Early Rough Mix) [8:34]

13. WE HAVE HEAVEN (Acapella) [Steven Wilson Mix] [1:59]

Disc 4: More Rarities & Live

1. FIVE PER CENT FOR NOTHING (Alternate Version)* [0:44]

2. HEART OF THE SUNRISE (Alternate Version)* [10:39]

3. LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND/THE FISH (SCHINDLERIA PRAEMATURUS) (Alternate Version)* [6:02]

4. THE DEAN [3:45]

5. AMERICA [Instrumental]* [10:31]

6. LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND/THE FISH (SCHINDLERIA PRAEMATURUS) (Live)* [12:35]

7. PERPETUAL CHANGE (Live)* [10:45]

8. YOURS IS NO DISGRACE (Live)* [13:37]

Tracks 6-8

Recorded live at ACADEMY OF MUSIC, New York, NY (2/19/72)

[Previously Unreleased]

Blu-Ray:

2024 Dolby Atmos Mix

2024 5.1 Mix DTS-HD MA

2024 Stereo Remix

2024 Stereo Remaster

2024 Instrumental Mix

1. ROUNDABOUT [8:32] 2024 Steven Wilson Atmos Mix

2. CANS AND BRAHMS [1:40] 2024 Steven Wilson Atmos Mix

3. WE HAVE HEAVEN [1:42] 2024 Steven Wilson Atmos Mix

4. SOUTH SIDE OF THE SKY [8:02] 2024 Steven Wilson Atmos Mix

5. FIVE PER CENT FOR NOTHING [0:36] 2024 Steven Wilson Atmos Mix

6. LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND [3:30] 2024 Steven Wilson Atmos Mix

7. THE FISH (SCHINDLERIA PRAEMATURUS) [2:38] 2024 Steven Wilson Atmos Mix

8. MOOD FOR A DAY [2:58] 2024 Steven Wilson Atmos Mix

9. HEART OF THE SUNRISE [10:39] 2024 Steven Wilson Atmos Mix

10. WE HAVE HEAVEN (Reprise) [0:47] 2024 Steven Wilson Atmos Mix

11. AMERICA [10:30] 2024 Steven Wilson Atmos Mix

LP: Cut from the original analog master by Bernie Grundman

Side A

2. CANS AND BRAHMS [1:38]

3. WE HAVE HEAVEN [1:40]

4. SOUTH SIDE OF THE SKY [7:56]

Side B

1. FIVE PER CENT FOR NOTHING [0:36]

2. LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND [3:30]

3. THE FISH (SCHINDLERIA PRAEMATURUS) [2:38]

4. MOOD FOR A DAY [2:58]

5. HEART OF THE SUNRISE [11:26]

*Previously Unreleased

Last edited:
Seriously, I'm going to have to give this one a miss, if don't want to upset my bank manager. Let's be disciplined here, reflect on the fact that I already have about 10 versions of this album, including 2 multi-channel mixes. Plus versions with all sorts of extras. So I don't really need this one, do I? No I don't. Good self control, sir!

It seems that Rhino is set on continuing with the surround disc locked in a bloated vinyl boxset strategy for the Yes reissue campaign. The virtually identical The Yes Album boxset started right around $100 and is now still averaging $70 - $80 new. Having already bought the Yes catalog many times over in virtually every format offered, including 2 different surround mixes for Fragile, I just can't see laying down another $100 dollars for this title - especially when all I want is the Atmos mix. It should also be noted that a single blu-ray would have the space to accommodate the surround mixes and most if not all of the additional material in hi-res stereo. So unless you really want the vinyl and a bunch of CD's, this can't be considered a good value for money. I'm comfortable holding out for a cheaper digital only release in the future, and if not that, then streaming the Atmos mix.

New or old Steven Wilson 5.1 mix?
From the second disc announcement (link):
Steven Wilson previously revisited Fragile in both stereo and 5.1 surround for an expanded 2015 reissue, and has done so again for this new set, additionally offering a new Dolby Atmos take on the album as well as new instrumental mixes of vocal tracks, allowing for a full "music-only" version of the album.

Seriously, I'm going to have to give this one a miss, if don't want to upset my bank manager. Let's be disciplined here, reflect on the fact that I already have about 10 versions of this album, including 2 multi-channel mixes. Plus versions with all sorts of extras. So I don't really need this one, do I? No I don't. Good self control, sir!
Just don't categorize the expense as a legal fee and you'll be good to go. ;)
Me? I don't do vinyls.

Do they really make money off these bloated boxsets? Surely far more people would buy it if they had the option to just buy a Blu-Ray, or just buy the vinyl, or whatever they want? In my eyes this just drives people who only want the digital version to piracy.

Back