Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation 50th (New Atmos & 5.1 mixes, plus Quad mix on Blu-Ray!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the last huge Zappa fan to just find out that The Ikettes sang backup on four tracks, and were uncredited because Ike is a douche?
Story goes he came into the studio when they were recording at Bolic Sound. They played him the middle section of Montana and he says, “What is this shit?” and walks out of the room.

I will NOT be tempted to listen to the stream. No, I will not......or will I? My copy should arrive early next week.
I have the stream version cued up but getting my ears warmed up first with some Beatles Atmos tracks originally on The White Album which sound excellent.

(Lifted from the bowels of the internet)

Frank wanted to use backup singers on the songs "I'm the Slime", "Dirty Love", "Zomby Woof", "Dinah-Moe Humm" and "Montana". His road manager (at that time) suggested The Ikettes, and Ike & Tina Turner were contacted. Ike Turner insisted that Zappa pay the singers, including Tina Turner, no more than $25 per song. However, an invoice shows that they were actually paid $25 per hour, and in total $187.50 each for 7 1/2 hours of service. During the recording sessions at Bolic Sound, Tina brought Ike into the studio to hear the highly difficult middle section of "Montana" which had taken the Ikettes a few days to learn and master. Ike listened to the tape and responded "What is this shit?" before leaving the studio. Ike later insisted that Zappa not credit the Ikettes on the released album. They were (however) credited as "Debbie", "Lynn", and "Susie Glover."

(Lifted from the bowels of the internet)

Frank wanted to use backup singers on the songs "I'm the Slime", "Dirty Love", "Zomby Woof", "Dinah-Moe Humm" and "Montana". His road manager (at that time) suggested The Ikettes, and Ike & Tina Turner were contacted. Ike Turner insisted that Zappa pay the singers, including Tina Turner, no more than $25 per song. However, an invoice shows that they were actually paid $25 per hour, and in total $187.50 each for 7 1/2 hours of service. During the recording sessions at Bolic Sound, Tina brought Ike into the studio to hear the highly difficult middle section of "Montana" which had taken the Ikettes a few days to learn and master. Ike listened to the tape and responded "What is this shit?" before leaving the studio. Ike later insisted that Zappa not credit the Ikettes on the released album. They were (however) credited as "Debbie", "Lynn", and "Susie Glover."

Gee whiz you'd think they had cooties ,😂

(as per Ike.)

Just listened to the new 5.1 mix and the old Quad mix. Both excellent, with the 5.1 better for me. The 5.1 has the backing vocals mostly nicely separated out to the rears, whereas the quad has them spread around more. The fidelity of the new mix, as well as the live stuff on this, is superb.

I am really overwhelmed by the high quality of this! I have had an copy of the old quad and felt it was ok but not more. now both the Atmos and the old quad is superb. I can not say for certain which one i find best. The old quad is more separated but on the other hand the Atmos is really impressing as sometimes you can´t even say exactly where the sound is coming from. I love it! Now i hope Apostrophe(´) is coming next

Gee whiz you'd think they had cooties ,😂

(as per Ike.)
My first thought was Coot chicks!? (but that was too bizarre even for Ike Turner) :ROFLMAO:

1700313568849.png

So I looked it up Cooties - Wikipedia

:ROFLMAO: Cooties is a phrase from our youth, meaning you have creepy things like cooties, something that someone else can catch.
I think I stopped using that phrase about mid 70's? Should bring it up again, I see my 8 year old grand daughter tomorrow, I'll ask her if she uses the term.

I ordered my copy from Zappa Store, wondering if it is on the way? Have not seen a shipping now note.
Markie, mine should arrive next week from ImportCD along with AP's Can't Buy a Thrill [stereo SACD] and 2 MQA CDs [Leon Russell and YES] as I took advantage of their 10% off sale which almost covered s/h and sales tax!

NEVER PAY RETAIL is my mantra!

And those 'cooties ...' yeah, that phrase was BIG back in the 50's!

Markie, mine should arrive next week from ImportCD along with AP's Can't Buy a Thrill [stereo SACD] and 2 MQA CDs [Leon Russell and YES] as I took advantage of their 10% off sale which almost covered s/h and sales tax!

NEVER PAY RETAIL is my mantra!

And those 'cooties ...' yeah, that phrase was BIG back in the 50's!
A very North American phrase :D ........................ revenge for our obscure ones :ROFLMAO:

I ordered my copy from Zappa Store, wondering if it is on the way? Have not seen a shipping now note.
I just now received one (Saturday). I sent an email yesterday requesting a cancellation because I was going to buy a copy from Amazon because I’m impatient, but I never got a response and l got the notification today that it was shipped. However if I go to track the shipment in the Shop app it says “Order received” and expected to ship on November 21st 🤷‍♂️

In the 1970s in grade school it was something a boy could catch from touching a girl. (Read that with genuine childhood innocence and no double entendre and not how Frank meant!)

Hadn't thought of the etymology before though. Coot? Does that mean...

Back