RUSH - Moving Pictures reissue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The News release on Rush's site does not mention a DTS group, only Dolby as the dvd-video portion of the dvd-audio disc.

From rush.com:
Both DVD & Blu-ray formats will boast the 5.1 surround sound and stereo audio in 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audiophile playback which offers 256 times more resolution than CD audio, providing the listener with the closest experience you can have to what the artists hear in the studio. The DVD is playable on both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video players, the latter players will include Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and PCM stereo playback. Blu-ray discs will also feature DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound in addition to 96kHz/24-bit PCM 5.1 surround sound and stereo.

http://www.rush.com

The News release on Rush's site does not mention a DTS group, only Dolby as the dvd-video portion of the dvd-audio disc.

http://www.rush.com

Yeah, I noticed that. The times being as they are, I am very pleased yet still amazed that they have chosen DVD-Audio and not just 24/96 DTS. Perhaps it will have DTS tracks and it is just not listed on the description. I've seen that happen before however in this case I doubt it. Maybe with the bonus videos it all wouldn't fit.

Not sure why the Blu-ray (Audio) discs are not included but this title also having a DVD-Audio version will be eligible for the HiRez Poll. We haven't had many new contenders for a while.

WOWwowWOWwowWOW! Pre-ordering the DVD-A but will probably spring for both versions because it's just so damn cool and long overdue.

I'd wager that DTS tracks are included; press releases tend to display some ignorance as to the existence of DTS

We all win. :smokin:

EDIT: The Vitial Signs clip was on the old VHS/laserdisc Through the Camera Eye collection which was never issued on DVD. (live Tom Sawyer appears on Exit Stage Left...)

I just pre-ordered BOTH formats. Delerious.

Last edited:
Never was one before but now I am becoming a Rush fan. After the news confirming dvd-audio I went and watched some videos - Tom Sawyer and Limelight. Could not keep the smile off my face just thinking about how great this is going to sound in 5.1. Feels like the biggest surround moment since Love.

I am excited about hearing Moving Pictutres in surround but I am frustrated of lack of information of how to actually get it ordered from a Canadian site. I called the rush website and talked to a customer support person who said they would get back to me as even from the Rush site it isn't listed yet as a item that they will sell.
I see HMV Canada has it listed as a import and cd\br is listed as a import and $48.
Amazon.ca had it and now only cd\dvd is listed.
I don't trust ordering the cd\dvd as I doubt it will have DVDA layer going by track record(Snakes and Arrows 5.1-D only).

peter

I know many others have read this article from Sound and Vision but one of surround's best champions had the Moving Pictures album listed in his wish list to be able to hear. So who knows maybe there is still hope for some of these classic albums to come out in surround.
Here's article:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/2009/12/20-albums-deserve-be-surround-sound
I would say that it was no coincidence that Rush's first surround album would be "Moving Pictures".
Steven Wilson + Alex Lifeson = Moving Pictures 5.1

I don't trust ordering the cd\dvd as I doubt it will have DVDA layer going by track record(Snakes and Arrows 5.1-D only).peter

I don't recall the advance press releases on Snakes and Arrows but if the CD/DVD Moving Pictures isn't dvd-audio then there is some big time BS going on. Everything we've seen in the news about Moving Pictures spells out "playable on dvd-audio players". Hard to imagine these guys don't know what they are talking about.

I would say that it was no coincidence that Rush's first surround album would be "Moving Pictures".
Steven Wilson + Alex Lifeson = Moving Pictures 5.1

Snakes & Arrows? Though if you want to argue that it didn't count as is was crap, I would go with that.

I don't recall the advance press releases on Snakes and Arrows but if the CD/DVD Moving Pictures isn't dvd-audio then there is some big time BS going on. Everything we've seen in the news about Moving Pictures spells out "playable on dvd-audio players". Hard to imagine these guys don't know what they are talking about.

They did everything except say specifically the disc itself includes a DVD-Audio layer. website states: "...will boast the 5.1 surround sound and stereo audio in 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audiophile." This could mean only the stereo is 96/24, although that is unlikely. So, I have 90% confidence that it is a DVD-A, but I went with the Blu-Ray for the 100%! If I recall correctly, the description of the blu-ray also makes it seem like it has a DVD-A layer too.

"Blu-ray discs will also feature DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound in addition to 96kHz/24-bit PCM 5.1 surround sound and stereo. "

How weird would that be?

...If I recall correctly, the description of the blu-ray also makes it seem like it has a DVD-A layer too.

"Blu-ray discs will also feature DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound in addition to 96kHz/24-bit PCM 5.1 surround sound and stereo. "

How weird would that be?

That would be pretty weird and also impossible from a technical standpoint - Can't mix a DVD A layer with a BD layer (at least not yet). It is however possible to put both DTS HD MA and a 5.1 LPCM 96/24 streams on a BD 25 - it all depends on what other content is on the disc. I suppose it's also possible that they would want to make it compatible with those out there that have older machines (players and/or receivers) without DTS HD MA decoding capabilities. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

perhaps this should be moved out from Rumours since there's already a release date ;)

(YEAHHHH!!!!)

They did everything except say specifically the disc itself includes a DVD-Audio layer. website states: "...will boast the 5.1 surround sound and stereo audio in 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audiophile." This could mean only the stereo is 96/24, although that is unlikely. So, I have 90% confidence that it is a DVD-A, but I went with the Blu-Ray for the 100%! If I recall correctly, the description of the blu-ray also makes it seem like it has a DVD-A layer too.

How weird would that be?

Amazon listing now states specifically in the title that it is DVD-Audio.

http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Pictur...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1299273444&sr=8-3

Any particular reason to choose one over the other if one's equipment is capable of playing and decoding both? I have no basis to compare MLP with DTS-HD Master.

I am in the top ranks of fanatical RUSH fans, so I'll probably end up with both, but I'm curious to hear any arguments for one over the other.

Any particular reason to choose one over the other if one's equipment is capable of playing and decoding both? I have no basis to compare MLP with DTS-HD Master.

I am in the top ranks of fanatical RUSH fans, so I'll probably end up with both, but I'm curious to hear any arguments for one over the other.

As they are lossless they should sound identical, except for how your equipment handles it and if you are running HDMI vs. analog, e.g. RCVR vs. Player DACs. Example: An Oppo BDP-83 playing both via HDMI should be identical, but if I was using my old Denon DVD-3910 via the analogs I might prefer the sound of the DVD-Audio vs. the Blu-ray over the HDMI of the Oppo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back