New AVR ordered...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Gene! :banana: One of my best friends just got the X3400H a couple of days ago and has been raving about how great it is, and yours is the step up from his. I'm sure you'll love it once you get it all figured out and properly calibrated. :upthumb

1b6272fda1299fb272ee38b3a219c657.jpg

Guess Lamar approves...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK Snood mighta had a few too many :friday:..........but what Snood getting from this is that Denon is giving away a full grown cat packed with each AVR shipped??:kitty::banana: - Shipped with the unit? There has got to be dry cat food all over the place and within the innards of the Denon AVR...........Worst Marketing EVER. How the hell did that cat survive?

Snood just not getting the marketing sense here:mad:@:

Buy a Denon and get an AVR that has been peed on??

:rolleyes:

OK Snood mighta had a few too many :friday:..........but what Snood getting from this is that Denon is giving away a full grown cat packed with each AVR shipped??:kitty::banana: - Shipped with the unit? There has got to be dry cat food all over the place and within the innards of the Denon AVR...........Worst Marketing EVER. How the hell did that cat survive?

Nah, Snood, it was just Lemar casually remarking to GOS "I Can See China From Here.":wave

So, I ran an 8 position Audyssey and it did a super nice job. One of the few times I didn't feel the need to tweek. Sounds awesome honestly. So, the new Denon is stupid easy as the GUI setup literally walks you through each step...much more detailed than my previous one. So, I put in INXS Atmos and I honestly wasn't that thrilled. I mean, yeah....sounded different...but not night and day. Then I put in REM and it had much more action in the Atmos speakers. I could tell....thing is.....if you choose Atmos right off the start....I dunno. It sounded great...but I wasn't like....WOW, Holy shit...

YOu know, like when I went from Dolby 5.1 to DTH HD Master...that was a holy shit moment. This is more subtle. IMO. It's fuller....I can sense that. Regardless, I'm very happy with my new upgrade. It's fun, and I bet Atmos movies are silly fun. I'm gonna check out Roger Waters in a bit. :)

So, I ran an 8 position Audyssey and it did a super nice job. One of the few times I didn't feel the need to tweek. Sounds awesome honestly. So, the new Denon is stupid easy as the GUI setup literally walks you through each step...much more detailed than my previous one. So, I put in INXS Atmos and I honestly wasn't that thrilled. I mean, yeah....sounded different...but not night and day. Then I put in REM and it had much more action in the Atmos speakers. I could tell....thing is.....if you choose Atmos right off the start....I dunno. It sounded great...but I wasn't like....WOW, Holy shit...

YOu know, like when I went from Dolby 5.1 to DTH HD Master...that was a holy shit moment. This is more subtle. IMO. It's fuller....I can sense that. Regardless, I'm very happy with my new upgrade. It's fun, and I bet Atmos movies are silly fun. I'm gonna check out Roger Waters in a bit. :)

Well different sources in Atmos will give you different results...just like surround...but IMO to get more out of Atmos you need to put those new speakers higher than just sitting them on top of your other speakers...you need some separation..I realize the room configuration you have to work with isn't ideal...and it's not going to look aesthetically pleasing to raise them...but you would get better results IMO...

Well different sources in Atmos will give you different results...just like surround...but IMO to get more out of Atmos you need to put those new speakers higher than just sitting them on top of your other speakers...you need some separation..I realize the room configuration you have to work with isn't ideal...and it's not going to look aesthetically pleasing to raise them...but you would get better results IMO...

Maybe so...but I guess think about all the Atmos speakers that are being built with the up-firing drivers in the top of the fron speakers. That made me think that that's the best setup. Maybe it's not...

I've been reading a bit and now I'm thoroughly confused.....in some write ups, a person says "they can be used as Atmos apeakers or as Height speakers"

Huh? What is the difference?

Maybe so...but I guess think about all the Atmos speakers that are being built with the up-firing drivers in the top of the fron speakers. That made me think that that's the best setup. Maybe it's not...

I just always feel that separation in multiple speaker systems works better...maybe you can just experiment after you try more atmos titles...I like the way your equipment looks...and of course the Denon looks good(y)

I've been reading a bit and now I'm thoroughly confused.....in some write ups, a person says "they can be used as Atmos apeakers or as Height speakers"

Huh? What is the difference?

People have been using "height" speakers for years before Atmos showed up....it's just adding more speakers to a sound field...not necessarily using something like Atmos...

Eh....I'm still confused...maybe even more. So, the height inputs on the back of my Denon have nothing to do with Atmos? I mean, my Denon X4000 did not have height inputs, nor was it Atmos....now I buy an Atmos receiver...and suddenly it has height inputs. :confused:

Eh....I'm still confused...maybe even more. So, the height inputs on the back of my Denon have nothing to do with Atmos? I mean, my Denon X4000 did not have height inputs, nor was it Atmos....now I buy an Atmos receiver...and suddenly it has height inputs. :confused:

Dependent on how your Denon is configured, Height equals ceiling or upfiring for Dolby Atmos or DTS X and on-wall near ceiling for Auro-3D use.

Last edited:

Dolby states that the upfiring speakers should be no more than half way up to the ceiling. Or, is that half way down? ?

I get better results with mine closer to two-thirds the way up. Maybe it’s because my speakers are wide dispersion.

Back