'The Beatles' (White Album) [50th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Blu-ray Disc!]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would sound cool and more interesting if Revolution #9 was interspersed throughout the new album mix, in pieces, rather than being a separate track. I know! That would be sacrilege. :censored:
It is an interesting idea. IMO, it's all right, especially given the ingenuity it took to create it at the time, but it loses interest for me after a couple of minutes.

I just live for avant garde weirdness. I don't necessarily think Revolution #9 is one of the top weird tracks of all time or anything but it makes the cut for that kind of thing and embraces that level of weirdness. No slight to anyone in the past who pulled it off (like the Beatles) but I've come to just loath the predictable verse/chorus dribble or lyric centric crap I hear out of 99% of artists, so this is still welcome rebellion against that!

Heh. Listen to that Lennon/Yoko album or the Harrison solo album that are both full length sound fx/wtf. (Good luck with that too!) You'll come back thinking Revolution #9 is concise and radio ready. :D

Heh. Listen to that Lennon/Yoko album or the Harrison solo album that are both full length sound fx/wtf. (Good luck with that too!) You'll come back thinking Revolution #9 is concise and radio ready. :D

I have my server play random albums most nights. Last night I woke up sandwiched between two cats to hear "Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band" in progress. Looking at the queue, I see I'll get "Approximately Infinite Universe" tonight.

Would love a surround mix of "Season of Glass".

I will buy this day 1 no matter who mixes it. I know that if capitalism is to function properly I should punish Apple if it's a badly remixed/mastered release, but the Beatles introduced me to the joy and ecstasy of music when I was just a lad. I shall forever be grateful. And might I add hopeful that this release will do the Beatles (and their legion of fans) justice. But if not, it won't be the end of the world, and it won't dim the memory of first time I heard "I Should Have Known Better" played through headphones from my older brother's "Hey Jude" album. (Parenthetically -and it may be redundant that I am putting this in parenthesis- I later learned that the Beatles had been disbanded 3 years at that point and THAT was a bummer.) Also, Mr. Apple, if you do remix the White Album into Blue Ray, please do the jukebox function that you did on the "1" video/5.1 release as that will allow me to skip the ones I don't care to hear. This album is really long, there's filler, and I don't think I have ever listened to it end to end. Now bring it on!!

...the Beatles introduced me to the joy and ecstasy of music when I was just a lad. I shall forever be grateful.

DITTO!!!!!

....it won't dim the memory of first time I heard "I Should Have Known Better" played through headphones from my older brother's "Hey Jude" album. (Parenthetically -and it may be redundant that I am putting this in parenthesis- I later learned that the Beatles had been disbanded 3 years at that point and THAT was a bummer.)

We must be the same age, I had the same experience. I was discovering the fab four in the early 70's through my brother's and sister's record collections. One day I asked my sister when they were going to make some new songs. She told me they were already broken up. I was crushed! LOL.

:cry:

I will buy this day 1 no matter who mixes it. I know that if capitalism is to function properly I should punish Apple if it's a badly remixed/mastered release, but the Beatles introduced me to the joy and ecstasy of music when I was just a lad. I shall forever be grateful. And might I add hopeful that this release will do the Beatles (and their legion of fans) justice. But if not, it won't be the end of the world, and it won't dim the memory of first time I heard "I Should Have Known Better" played through headphones from my older brother's "Hey Jude" album. (Parenthetically -and it may be redundant that I am putting this in parenthesis- I later learned that the Beatles had been disbanded 3 years at that point and THAT was a bummer.) Also, Mr. Apple, if you do remix the White Album into Blue Ray, please do the jukebox function that you did on the "1" video/5.1 release as that will allow me to skip the ones I don't care to hear. This album is really long, there's filler, and I don't think I have ever listened to it end to end. Now bring it on!!
You guys make me feel REAl old. I saw Hard Day's Night original theatrical release when I was 15 years old. Had to take my little sister. Oh the screaming. :eek:

I have some dim memory of reading or hearing John describing all the elements being played in real time as the recorder captured it. I've always interpreted that to mean there are no usable multitracks, at least not in any practical sense.
Yes, but there is enough stuff that is hard left or hard right that it could be deconstructed in ProTools and "turned into" multis from which an at least partially discrete surround mix could be created. It would be somewhere between an upmix and a discrete one.

You guys make me feel REAl old. I saw Hard Day's Night original theatrical release when I was 15 years old. Had to take my little sister. Oh the screaming. :eek:
Funny you mention that.
My Mom bought my sister and her friends tickets for A Hard Day's Night for her birthday plus one for me.
I was 7. I guess the crowd was about 80% girls.
It was cool to see but with the constant screaming I didn't hear much of it.

I'm a fan of the White Album. My mum owned a MONO version of it. However it's not an album that has dated as well as other Beatles albums. Some very out-there stuff on here. Reminds me of another double album from late 1960s Electric Moo.
However if this is mixed discretely and the tracks flow better giving the listener of how the song really was recorded, in 5.1 this could be a magnificent surround recording.
The instrumentation tracks & vocals need very careful placement to really give this album justice in 5.1
I hope all the singles, B-Sides & Out-Takes are also given the same treatment. Not Guilty was criminally left off this 2LP set!

That might explain the screen name you chose. :unsure: :love: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I kid of course. I kid because I love.

My guess is that 99.99% of the people who can't stop hating Yoko don't realize that the screaming weirdness was an early phase. She occasionally revisits it, but she has a TON of "normal" stuff out there. "Season of Glass" is an excellent starting point.

My guess is that 99.99% of the people who can't stop hating Yoko don't realize that the screaming weirdness was an early phase. She occasionally revisits it, but she has a TON of "normal" stuff out there. "Season of Glass" is an excellent starting point.
No, I tried. It's still her voice.

No, I tried. It's still her voice.

It was very nice of Lennon and McCartney to indulge their ladies by allowing their presence on musical ventures; and bless Linda and especially Yoko with keeping their Beatle husbands sane. But I am not a fan of either of their voices.

It was very nice of Lennon and McCartney to indulge their ladies by allowing their presence on musical ventures; and bless Linda and especially Yoko with keeping their Beatle husbands sane. But I am not a fan of either of their voices.

I have no animosity against Linda whatsoever, but my impression is that she was trying to do normal Western singing and...well, just couldn't. A lot of what Yoko did/does comes from a completely different tradition and she does it well, but obviously it's not for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back