A Special Preview of Quadio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that the split mechanical rights of a 1974 Rod Stewart (and Faces) album was in reference to the "Coast To Coast Overture And Beginners" live album.

In the US WB had all tape rights, Mercury LP rights. WB had all rights in UK, Germany, and Japan among a few other places. Mercury had all rights in UK afaik.

This arrangement for "Coast To Coast is a little complicated, but it points to Warner having rights to all formats in US other than LP. So Quadio on BD, and the tape possibly in the vaults at Warner, this is just one manager approval away from being green lit.

Are we sure it is not the "Coast To Coast" live album rather than "Smiler?" "Smiler" is all Mercury all the time afaik.
It is Coast To Coast, not Smiler that had split rights.

I think it's worth one more quick glance at the tape library, or database. Could there be a quad reel for either of these two 1974, and 1975 albums?

Emmylou Harris – "Pieces Of The Sky" or "Elite Hotel"

I'd like to think ForagingRhino is just rummaging through a huge drawer labelled "quad", looking for all these tapes people suggest and/or speculate exist.
Like this....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-25-15-14-14-39_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-25-15-14-14-39_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 0
I'd like to think ForagingRhino is just rummaging through a huge drawer labelled "quad", looking for all these tapes people suggest and/or speculate exist.
It’s much worse than a huge drawer. I get the impression it’s a computer search backed up with a physical search of shelves. And the only good part of it is that Warner is better organized than some tape libraries. Oh and that some rather good things have been unearthed here.

Woah, which Herbie Mann titles were mixed in quad?

Not "Push Push" by any chance?
yes! 🤗

3 Herbie Mann Quads saw release back in the day;

"Push Push" (1971; subsequent Quad release on Q8 tape only, no Quad disc),

"Hold On I'm Comin'" (1972 Live album, 1973 Quad release)

"Reggae" (1973 LP)

I think it's worth one more quick glance at the tape library, or database. Could there be a quad reel for either of these two 1974, and 1975 albums?

Emmylou Harris – "Pieces Of The Sky" or "Elite Hotel"
Nope.
I remember when we did the Producer's Cut DVD-A, Brian Ahern did video showing how he would imagine surround mixes of Emmylou's tracks would sound.

I remember when we did the Producer's Cut DVD-A, Brian Ahern did video showing how he would imagine surround mixes of Emmylou's tracks would sound.
Maybe he needs to do more than just imagine here. "Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town" is a rather stellar recording.
An "audiophile" favorite (Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab – MFSL 1-015, 1979).
Thanks for looking Steve.

Last edited:
@ForagingRhino ...Steve ;

My minds a blank as to who might've been, quad candidates.

I suppose there are no more quads for Jackson Browne, other than Late For The Sky ?
An incredible quad album btw. Hope we can see that soon.

How's about,

CSNY -4 Way Street , or CSN ?

Tom Waits - Nighthawks At The Diner ? For that matter any of Waits' Electra/Asylum albums ?

Buffalo Springfield?

Iron Butterfly -Metamorphosis?

@ForagingRhino ...Steve ;

My minds a blank as to who might've been, quad candidates.

I suppose there are no more quads for Jackson Browne, other than Late For The Sky ?
An incredible quad album btw. Hope we can see that soon.

How's about,

CSNY -4 Way Street , or CSN ?

Tom Waits - Nighthawks At The Diner ? For that matter any of Waits' Electra/Asylum albums ?

Buffalo Springfield?

Iron Butterfly -Metamorphosis?
Wasn't DEJU VU once listed as an upcoming quad? That was before my interest in surround, but I thought I read that somewhere, probably here.

Now THAT would be a big seller!

Wasn't DEJU VU once listed as an upcoming quad? That was before my interest in surround, but I thought I read that somewhere, probably here.

Now THAT would be a big seller!

Actually a 5.1 DVDA I believe .
As was Paul Simon's Rythmn Of The Saints and Graceland...which btw were mixed in 5.1 according to Surround Pro magazine , who had a feature, review of the mixing process.
And Stephen Stills , Stills on Atlantic ...canceled last minute.

Could once existing 4 channel masters have been tossed out once quad was abandoned and no records kept of them?
There is always the hope that something misfiled will be found by accident but that takes a lot of elbow grease and sifting thru the boxes....

Sadly that could be a factor....even recorded over for whatever stereo recording.

Back