4 more Quadio titles coming in May 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They all sound pretty similar to me. I've got two releases already, the second one purchased because of the quad mix. I don't see why I should get another one.
Kind of like me and all my copies of Holst's "The Planets" and about eight releases of DSOTM. I probably don't need any more of either.

I found the same thing when comparing the War Quadio in stereo to the Avenue Gold.
Very close, I could find reasons to pick either as “better”.

I've got the quadio release of The World is a Ghetto. The booklet lists Craig Anderson as the mastering engineer for both stereo and quad mixes.
I've compared the stereo with the 1992 CD (also the version available on streaming services, alongside the 40th anniversary edition). The 1992 remaster and this new remaster are very close when level matched and resampled to 16/44.1. Minor EQ differences, but overall a similar presentation. Good transfer, good EQ, no compression or glitches. I'm very happy with this stereo remaster, but I can't say it makes a difference from the 1992 CD. The Gold CD sounds slightly better, but these differences are so minor to me that I wouldn't bother.
I'll listen to the quad in the coming days.
What is this stereo you speak of?;):D We're talking Quadio's here! :giggle:;)

What is this stereo you speak of?;):D We're talking Quadio's here! :giggle:;)
I understand this is a sort of joke, but to me, stereo remasters and remixes included with surround releases are important. In some cases, these are good hi-res files that replace my previous go-to version. But in many other instances, the stereo mixes on surround releases are not the best version out there, forcing me to make another purchase (of a CD or download) to get both surround and stereo. I listen to surround music at home, but I also do a lot of listening on the go and while travelling, so having a good stereo mix that complements my surround experience at home is essential. Getting stereo and surround in a single release is a good deal!

The film was mixed in Dolby Surround. I suspect the soundtrack album was either Dolby Surround or plain stereo, I can't see why they'd re-mix for quad.
I wasn't thinking of a re-mix though, I was questioning if an original quad from the 70's existed and possible for a quadio.
Sort of like how we ended up with a Dark Side of the moon and Wish you were here 5.1 and quad remaster.

I wasn't thinking of a re-mix though, I was questioning if an original quad from the 70's existed and possible for a quadio.
Sort of like how we ended up with a Dark Side of the moon and Wish you were here 5.1 and quad remaster.
I imagine it's a coincidence. Of course, if I'm wrong I wouldn't complain.

We did get a Dutton quad remix of the Charles Gerhardt record of Star Wars and Close Enounters, though...

Any speculation about a list of titles that qualify?
Kirk Bayne
Basically it’s any Warner controlled quad title not already reissued by Rhino, Audio Fidelity, SDE, or a Jethro Tull type of thing. And it will not be one or any of the previously unissued quad masters.

So it’s back to the original want lists we’ve had the pleasure of combing. I’ve mentioned a few I’d like to hear, and others have their favorites as well.

Roberta Flack has a big hit going for it. But I have no idea if the mix is wonderful.

Donny Hathaway has no hit to prop it up to the front of the line. I’m not expecting this for quite a while.

MJQ The Last Concert I would like if the mix is very four-cornered style which is rare on live albums but not an impossibility. I have a hunch another jazz Quadio is coming.

The other Randy Newman and Gordon Lightfoot albums are likely to arrive much later, same for Starship.

Beaver and Krause and PASSPORT are both cult items, so I’m not expecting them both at the same time, but if the mixes are strong enough I can imagine each of them being favorably considered. And the Quadio line is digging deep into vaults, and surprises can happen.

I sense that it’s time for one of the Asylum titles to make a splash! Or at a bare minimum an Elektra album?

James Taylor "Gorilla" and Seals and Crofts "Diamond Girl" are future potentials as well. But I'm still not feeling it for these two just yet when the super-strong candidates are still waiting in the wings.

Since the Quadio series has spun so much gold and platinum masters, I’m not expecting any classical for a long while, no Nonesuch for the next 8 or 12 titles, but later maybe?

I'm hoping for an electrical jolt of a couple total quadraphonic knock-outs, plus two that are less high-profile.

Jackson or Joni
James T or S&C
Roberta
MJQ

Really not asking for a lot after 20 years on this forum.

Last edited:
Here is how they can hit it out of the park

A Nonesuch the Varese album or Percussion Music which has a Varese composition with others
Jackson Late For the Sky
Herbie Mann Push Push with a sanitized cover and stunning group of support musicians. Note I have never heard this one
Gordon Lightfoot Cold Shoulder

Got to keep the momentum up with surprises and one killer although that is in the eye of the beholder...

Last edited:

A Nonesuch the Varese album or Percussion Music which has a Varese composition with others
Jackson Late For the Sky
Herbie Mann Push Push with a sanitized cover and stunning group of support musicians. Note I have never heard this one

Got to keep the momentum up with surprises and one killer although that is in the eye of the beholder...
I like everything here in general. But it could be too soon for another Lightfoot just yet. Edgar Varese is a wild one not usually listened to along with Jackson and / or Gordon.

Herbie Mann Push Push has never been reviewed in the Spotlight forum threads - interesting. I have no idea what that one sounds like in quad. Anyone have the Q8 of that album?

Basically it’s any Warner controlled quad title not already reissued by Rhino, Audio Fidelity, SDE, or a Jethro Tull type of thing. And it will not be one or any of the previously unissued quad masters.

So it’s back to the original want lists we’ve had the pleasure of combing. I’ve mentioned a few I’d like to hear, and others have their favorites as well.

Roberta Flack has a big hit going for it. But I have no idea if the mix is wonderful.

Donny Hathaway has no hit to prop it up to the front of the line. I’m not expecting this for quite a while.

MJQ The Last Concert I would like if the mix is very four-cornered style which is rare on live albums but not an impossibility. I have a hunch another jazz Quadio is coming.

The other Randy Newman and Gordon Lightfoot albums are likely to arrive much later, same for Starship.

Beaver and Krause and PASSPORT are both cult items, so I’m not expecting them both at the same time, but if the mixes are strong enough I can imagine each of them being favorably considered. And the Quadio line is digging deep into vaults, and surprises can happen.

I sense that it’s time for one of the Asylum titles to make a splash! Or at a bare minimum an Elektra album?

James Taylor "Gorilla" and Seals and Crofts "Diamond Girl" are future potentials as well. But I'm still not feeling it for these two just yet when the super-strong candidates are still waiting in the wings.

Since the Quadio series has spun so much gold and platinum masters, I’m not expecting any classical for a long while, no Nonesuch for the next 8 or 12 titles, but later maybe?

I'm hoping for an electrical jolt of a couple total quadraphonic knock-outs, plus two that are less high-profile.

Jackson or Joni
James T or S&C
Roberta
MJQ

Really not asking for a lot after 20 years on this forum.
I really believe you are right on the money with your predictions....or more accurately, what we likely won't be seeing.

I really believe you are right on the money with your predictions....or more accurately, what we likely won't be seeing.
Well some we won't be seeing right now, but will later. :unsure: Any album that charted well, and with big hit singles and a decent quad mix will arrive at some point. but of course the rare oddities, unissued, and cult items are for me what the mysteries are.

I like everything here in general. But it could be too soon for another Lightfoot just yet. Edgar Varese is a wild one not usually listened to along with Jackson and / or Gordon.

Herbie Mann Push Push has never been reviewed in the Spotlight forum threads - interesting. I have no idea what that one sounds like in quad. Anyone have the Q8 of that album?
It’s never too soon for another Lightfoot. Especially if it’s as wonderful as “Sundown.”

Jackson Late For the Sky

I posted this below in another thread some months back. Suggesting a (just one) quad bonus track taken from another Nonesuch quad album.
---------------------------------------------------------------
It does make me wonder as well though, if there could be a disc with this below title, and then add the one Varèse percussion piece from that album you just mentioned owning. For a more inclusive Edgard Varèse in quad release?

Edgard Varèse – Offrandes / Intégrales / Octandre / Ecuatorial - Nonesuch – NSTQ 1269-QC

1 Offrandes 8:41
2 Intégrales 10:25
3 Octandre 6:48
4 Ecuatorial 11:45

5 Ionisation 5:20 (bonus track from Percussion Music - Nonesuch – HQ-1291)

Last edited:
Good suggestion @quicksrt DV always appends bonus cuts to their quad reissues
One thing to note on Percussion Music the quadradisc and the CD issue have differing tracks. A Wuorinen composition appears on the cd and one of the compositions on the quadradisc was dropped. So I think not a problem to do this.

Back