Pearl Jam "Dark Matter" CD+BD-A w/ Atmos (4/19/2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received mine from Bull Moose. The packaging with this release is a total disaster, IMO. The slot where the CD & Blu-ray are ridiculously tight and there is a high chance you will rip them trying to pull out the discs. Never in my life have I had so much trouble trying to slide a disc out of a sleeve.

I did not rip mine, but I have no doubt some of you will. Anyway, now I'm off to stay with my grandsons....

Just received mine from Bull Moose. The packaging with this release is a total disaster, IMO. The slot where the CD & Blu-ray are ridiculously tight and there is a high chance you will rip them trying to pull out the discs. Never in my life have I had so much trouble trying to slide a disc out of a sleeve.

I did not rip mine, but I have no doubt some of you will. Anyway, now I'm off to stay with my grandsons....
I'm glad its not just me with the packaging! I thought there must be another way that the discs could come out, but nope 😲.

I listened to this twice, Atmos downsized to 5.1. Good album, my first Pearl Jam in many years. Good surround mix, use of rears, mainly for guitars (without listening too closely), (I suppose with this band its hardly likely to be keyboards, orchestration or massed backing vocals I guess!). I'm not sure of the quality of the fidelity at the moment. Soft songs sound great, heavier songs not so much. I see over at SHF that they're talking about low DR numbers. It sounds good enough to me though.

Excited to hear all your first thought. Mine has not arrive since I ordered from the official Pearl jam site. It may reach Indonesia in Xmas time 😁.
I also enjoy the album, it think the album is very different sound to what they have before. Surely that may due to involvement of pop producer Andrew Watt who also happen to be big fan of the band. As usual, I have some favorites track now, but it may changes as play the album couple of times now in the next coming days.

Let us not fade... Setting Sun - Pearl Jam

Mine arrived today and after reading all the difficulties in extracting the discs from their 'moorings' I found a pair of medical grade forceps and carefully lifted the little buggers out carefully [just JOKING]! Stick your forefinger towards the center and lift out carefully via the center hole!

I will play it on my main system tonight. Listening in stereo now on my secondary system! So far so GOOD!

Word of advice: if you have some of those Japanese inner sleeves, put both discs in those and don't try to insert back into those ultra tight enclosures! And so they don't slip out, place into one of those outer sleeves and seal!

Easy Peasy!

Mine arrived today and after reading all the difficulties in extracting the discs from their 'moorings' I found a pair of medical grade forceps and carefully lifted the little buggers out carefully [just JOKING]! Stick your forefinger towards the center and lift out carefully via the center hole!

I will play it on my main system tonight. Listening in stereo now on my secondary system! So far so GOOD!

Word of advice: if you have some of those Japanese inner sleeves, put both discs in those and don't try to insert back into those ultra tight enclosures! And so they don't slip out, place into one of those outer sleeves and seal!

Easy Peasy!
Thats what I've been doing with all these fiendish cardboard sleeves - its almost as they don't want you to play the discs!

Mine just got delivered but I’m out of town for a few days.
I have an idea but no way to try it.
If you slid a full size Post-it Note in there with the sticky side down and press down on the cardboard case (to make good contact with the disc), you might be able to pull it out.

If you slid a full size Post-it Note in there with the sticky side down and press down on the cardboard case, you might be able to pull it out.
Just read my Post #68 above, Bill......it really isn't that big of a deal! Let your finger do the walking ......☝️

Just wondering: Would it be advisable to snip the sides of the slots to allow for easier extraction and insertion?

If you slid a full size Post-it Note in there with the sticky side down and press down on the cardboard case (to make good contact with the disc), you might be able to pull it out.
Brilliant idea, worked a treat for me :SB
Playing it now in Dolby Atmos
1000009525.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
No mention in the liner of who did the awful stereo mastering? Mine is shipping from iMusic DK so won’t hit Canada until closer to next weekend. No interest in listening to the retail stereo version, will absolutely create a new stereo mix from the Atmos to enjoy in the car.

Well
Where to start
The mixing engineer had a field day with this release. Sooo much going on....
In a good way.
View attachment 104619
The vocals seem a bit subdued
It's hardly an audiophile recording, that's for sure, Mike! I played it 4 times in Dolby True HD 7.1 on my new system at different volumes and to unlock the full measure I settled at 84 db. The rear channels were always active and the more I listened to it, the more I thought the songwriting was superb and Vedder's vocals excellent! Lots in the rears, as well. And tasty guitar riffs throughout. What's NOT to like?

Last edited:
It's hardly an audiophile recording, that's for sure, Mike! I played it 4 times in Dolby True HD 7.1 on my new system at different volumes and to unlock the full measure I settled at 84 db. The rear channels were always active snd the more I listened to it, the more I thought the songwriting was superb and Vedder's vocals excellent! Lots in the rears, as well. And tasty guitar riffs throughout. What's NOT to like?
I've had to turn it down!! Ralphie
Yes the guitar riffs are excellent.
I'm thoroughly enjoying this release by Pearl Jam
2nd run through, while watching footy.
Leicester v West Bromwich Albion.
I'll probably have this on repeat too 😜

Back