Gentle Giant - (most of) Octopus in 5.1 coming soon!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@the group: Does anybody know if the multi-track tape exist for GG - Free Hand??? I have the 4.0 release, of course...

AFAIK, I haven't heard anything different than what's been said before, which is that the only other set of Gentle Giant multitrack tapes they have in possession are the tapes for "The Missing Piece".
Besides the tape issue, one thing that does bode well for remixes of albums like "In A Glass House" and "Three Friends" is the fact that I think the band owns the recording rights to both of those albums like they do for "Octopus" and "The Power and the Glory".

AFAIK, I haven't heard anything different than what's been said before, which is that the only other set of Gentle Giant multitrack tapes they have in possession are the tapes for "The Missing Piece".
Besides the tape issue, one thing that does bode well for remixes of albums like "In A Glass House" and "Three Friends" is the fact that I think the band owns the recording rights to both of those albums like they do for "Octopus" and "The Power and the Glory".

Agreed. Have you had a chance yet to assess the quality of the 2 Steve Hackett upmixes? I'm still contemplating getting Premonitions if I can get a good price.

Agreed. Have you had a chance yet to assess the quality of the 2 Steve Hackett upmixes? I'm still contemplating getting Premonitions if I can get a good price.

I put on "Voyage of the Acoylyte" for a little bit yesterday, but I was not sitting down to listen to it, so I have no good assessment at this point for either of the Hackett upmixes.
On the other hand, I did sit down and properly listen to all of "Octopus" in surround. The upmixes are much better than the ones on other albums like "Warrior on the Edge of Time" and "Songs from the Big Chair", and they do the best job they can of integrating themselves in with the discrete mixes.
The thing that makes these upmixes obvious however when compared against the discrete mixes is the fact that the discrete mixes are cleaner than the upmixes. "The Advent of Panurge" and "Raconteur Troubadour" in particular contain a lot of distortion on the original stereo mixes that no amount of good upmixing can improve.

I put on "Voyage of the Acoylyte" for a little bit yesterday, but I was not sitting down to listen to it, so I have no good assessment at this point for either of the Hackett upmixes.
On the other hand, I did sit down and properly listen to all of "Octopus" in surround. The upmixes are much better than the ones on other albums like "Warrior on the Edge of Time" and "Songs from the Big Chair", and they do the best job they can of integrating themselves in with the discrete mixes.
The thing that makes these upmixes obvious however when compared against the discrete mixes is the fact that the discrete mixes are cleaner than the upmixes. "The Advent of Panurge" and "Raconteur Troubadour" in particular contain a lot of distortion on the original stereo mixes that no amount of good upmixing can improve.
I also came to find the other night while ripping the audio content from the Bluray, how the upmixes ended up at a 48/24 resolution too. Overall, they still sound great and the violin on Raconteur Troubadour seems to have been given more emphasis in the mix and that very clear coin spin leading into The Boys in the Band too was excellent. I recall somebody on the Wilson Remixes Facebook page claiming he had those missing multitracks in a giant box. Don't know if he was taking the piss or was really serious about it.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Hi everyone

Just a FYI that I received my "5.1 CD" from Amazon and was going to return it but the cost would be twice what Amazon will refund for shipping and there's no guarantee it will reach Kentucky from New Zealand by Amazon's deadline.

I let them know and they're gonna refund me anyway and told me to keep the CD. Nice!

Hopefully, wowHD will play ball in a similar fashion seeing as how they've got about $60 of mine and won't refund or ship the goods. Fingers crossed.

I also came to find the other night while ripping the audio content from the Bluray, how the upmixes ended up at a 48/24 resolution too. Overall, they still sound great and the violin on Raconteur Troubadour seems to have been given more emphasis in the mix and that very clear coin spin leading into The Boys in the Band too was excellent. I recall somebody on the Wilson Remixes Facebook page claiming he had those missing multitracks in a giant box. Don't know if he was taking the piss or was really serious about it.

I have ripped the bda today, but all 5.1 tracks including the upmixes are 96/24.

Hi everyone

Just a FYI that I received my "5.1 CD" from Amazon and was going to return it but the cost would be twice what Amazon will refund for shipping and there's no guarantee it will reach Kentucky from New Zealand by Amazon's deadline.

I let them know and they're gonna refund me anyway and told me to keep the CD. Nice!

Hopefully, wowHD will play ball in a similar fashion seeing as how they've got about $60 of mine and won't refund or ship the goods. Fingers crossed.
Maybe try Utopia Records in Sydney? They do have a website of course and they tend to get many New Releases around the same time too.

I've just been listening to an interview with Ray Shulman of Gentle Giant, mostly about the recent Octopus release. He is hoping for further similar GG releases in the future with Steven Wilson. Unfortunately he said that they can't find the multi track tapes for In A Glass House, so that one's not possible. He said SW's management has helped to look too, but without success. He said that he knows Free Hand quad has been released, but he believes that there is room for improvement with that one, and hopes that SW would be interested.

I've just been listening to an interview with Ray Shulman of Gentle Giant, mostly about the recent Octopus release. He is hoping for further similar GG releases in the future with Steven Wilson. Unfortunately he said that they can't find the multi track tapes for In A Glass House, so that one's not possible. He said SW's management has helped to look too, but without success. He said that he knows Free Hand quad has been released, but he believes that there is room for improvement with that one, and hopes that SW would be interested.

That's a dirty shame about the "Glass House" multis. The sound and mixes (even the upmixes) for "Octopus" are superb!

Give us a link to the interview, please!
But in the meantime, thanks for sparing us the details about the missing "In A Glass House" multitracks, not that it surprises me though given the tough time they seemed to have had finding multitracks anyway. I wonder if they will ever find the multitracks for "Three Friends", their only album before "Octopus" that they own the recording rights for. If they can't then I'm definitely all for proper 5.1 mixes of both "Free Hand" and "Interview" if they find the multitrack tapes for those two. :)

Give us a link to the interview, please!
But in the meantime, thanks for sparing us the details about the missing "In A Glass House" multitracks, not that it surprises me though given the tough time they seemed to have had finding multitracks anyway. I wonder if they will ever find the multitracks for "Three Friends", their only album before "Octopus" that they own the recording rights for. If they can't then I'm definitely all for proper 5.1 mixes of both "Free Hand" and "Interview" if they find the multitrack tapes for those two. :)

Its an online radio show linked to Prog Magazine. Hope the link works for you. The interview is an hour or so in, there's some great music on the show.

http://prog.teamrock.com/radio/on-demand/the-prog-magazine-show

Its an online radio show linked to Prog Magazine. Hope the link works for you. The interview is an hour or so in, there's some great music on the show.

http://prog.teamrock.com/radio/on-demand/the-prog-magazine-show

Thanks! A great listen indeed! So it appears that they definitely have the multitracks for "Free Hand", which is great news indeed! I would still prefer the first three albums to be remixed first, but if tapes or recording rights issues stand in the way, then bring on "Free Hand" and "Interview" in 5.1, please! :)

I've just been listening to an interview with Ray Shulman of Gentle Giant.. He said that he knows Free Hand quad has been released, but he believes that there is room for improvement with that one, and hopes that SW would be interested.

It would have been peachy-keen to clarify that the multi's for Free Hand have been found, but a very strong implication can be made, given the comments about it and Glass House being missing...

Free Hand is one of my Top 10 recordings, period. Let alone being Gentle Giant's best, IMHO... So that would be a TREASURE in 5.1 a la Steven Wilson.

I actually enjoy Giant For A Day and I hope that gets a 5.1 mix. It might just be "quirky" enough to get Steven Wilson's curiosity. :music

@rt: I think the rights for all GG recordings have reverted back to the band, unless they resold them recently...the ASCAP or BMI contracts that were used back in the day terminate
after 25 years and all rights revert back to the original artist. Of course they can be resold like Pete Townshend has done and it looks like ELP has recently done as well..

It would have been peachy-keen to clarify that the multi's for Free Hand have been found, but a very strong implication can be made, given the comments about it and Glass House being missing...

Free Hand is one of my Top 10 recordings, period. Let alone being Gentle Giant's best, IMHO... So that would be a TREASURE in 5.1 a la Steven Wilson.

I actually enjoy Giant For A Day and I hope that gets a 5.1 mix. It might just be "quirky" enough to get Steven Wilson's curiosity. :music

@rt: I think the rights for all GG recordings have reverted back to the band, unless they resold them recently...the ASCAP or BMI contracts that were used back in the day terminate
after 25 years and all rights revert back to the original artist. Of course they can be resold like Pete Townshend has done and it looks like ELP has recently done as well..

I think you're confusing publishing rights (the rights to the intellectual property that are the songs themselves) with the recording rights (the rights to a particular recorded version of a song). An artist can own one set of rights without owning the other.
If you look at some of the recent reissues of Gentle Giant's first two albums on Discogs.com, you'll see that the recording rights are still owned by subsidiary labels under Universal Music whereas the latest reissue of "Three Friends" shows that the recording copyright for that album is now owned by Gentle Giant and their own record label Alucard.

Shame about Glass House, but a proper 5.1 Free Hand would be great as well. BUT... what about Playing the Fool in 5.1. The listening experience to excerpts from Octopus on the Octopus blu ray is sooo good, can we please get the whole album like that?

Back