Gentle Giant - (most of) Octopus in 5.1 coming soon!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thomas, yes, I look forward to your recap as well.
Confidential released stuff, what could that be, to bad you can't share.
Always like your contributions here as well, thanks for your input.

peter

There's a lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes with these surround remixes I imagine.. for the most part I think its best a lot of it remains hush hush or we would just have a hundred repeat performances of the unreleased Elton 5.1's, where because we actually know these were all done and dusted years ago the frustration has got to such a point several of us want to garrotte the bean counters at Universal or whoever is responssssssible for their cancellation and subsequent seemingly permanent shelving..!!! ;)

..but seriously.. the best outcome we can hope for is that as much of what gets remixed into surround comes to fruition as possible and actually gets released so we can get to hear it all.. eight octopus legs and five point one fingers crossed...! :D

And we have "our" mixers Giancarlo Erra, Bruce Soord and Jim Newhouser. and I am also expecting some things from Thomas (Plan9) and Ryan Talbot. Would be nice to see some commercial surround work from the latter two.

Flattery will get you everywhere. ;)
As far as my work goes, I'm concentrating heavily right now on building up clientele just for stereo mixing, but if/when the right projects come along, I'm sure I will be inspired to try and work surround mixing into the equation as well.
There were some surround mixes I did a few months ago for my friend's EDM (Electronic Dance Music) project, but the full album is still being worked on by him so I'm holding tight, and we'll see what happens with it in the near future. :)

Hi Thomas, is that the project you are doing with Edison? At least that is what I was thinking of.

Please make the thread with your won stuff. On your website, http://www.athome-mastering.com/#/cv/4555762706, I do not see these self-released stuff, do I ?

Yes indeed! We will offer a 5.1 track to download pretty soon. :)

I don't have the space to put everything I have worked on on my site, so I have to make choices, unfortunately.

I now just cancelled my amazon preorder and went with Burning Shed. Saved me $10, which is not how it usually works when comparing Burning Shed prices with amazon's, but hey, we all like a good deal around here.

That now means that I will be receiving "Octopus", "Oranges & Lemons", "Fragile" (both editions), and the "THRAK" box from Burning Shed within the next few weeks, so if you're reading this, Burning Shed, you're welcome for the sales, but thanks for the good service and great prices! :)

Burning Shed & Headphone Dust are cheaper for the actual discs but their postage costs blow everything out of the water
Makes Amazon UK a cheaper option for me

Bad news on the Gentle Giant front.
It was revealed today that GG drummer John Weathers is undergoing treatment for cancer after a tumor was discovered on his vocal chords. :(

Got an email very early this morning from Burning Shed that my copy of "Octopus" has shipped!
Now, I'm just waiting for the same email concerning "Fragile"! :) :banana:

Me too. All three on the way from Headphone Dust. Also got a shipping notice for Anathema "A Sort of Homecoming" yesterday. :) :) :banana:

Headphone Dust is not the cheapest with postage. But there is the mention that, when actual postage turns out to be cheaper, the difference will be paid back.

Now three discs are on their way and I just received a refund of £4.20. Much appreciated :)

This came in today. Gave the DTS-HD Ma a first listen and... wow! Can it be that this is even better than Power & Glory? The soundquality is spectacular, crystal clear, warm with an "analogue" feel, and the mix is, as was to expect, outstanding. I really didn't notice the three tracks that were created without having the multitracks. The visuals are also nice, an octopus moving in a jar with comments of the musicians accompaniing every track. All I can say is great work on all levels.

It's here! I sampled a bit of the opening upmixed track and it ain't bad. But I soon jumped to the fully mixed 5.1 tracks and they are splendid! Certainly on par with Power & Glory. Video shows closeup of an octopus writhing about while text pops up now and then with individual band members commenting on the music. Very nice touch that. I don't believe I've ever seen that kind of presentation before. The live track sounds fantastic and is nicely mixed to 5.1. Damn shame about the missing multis but that won't diminish my enthusiasm for the rest of this outstanding release.

Be prepared for disappointment if you ordered from Amazon US. They sent a CD only instead of the Blu-ray/CD combo. Even the label on the cellophane wrapper says "5.1 Remix" but there is no 5.1 mix to be found.

Update: Checked the Amazon site to do a return and it looks like some people are getting the Blu-ray and some are getting the CD only. So; you may get lucky!

Last edited:
Be prepared for disappointment if you ordered from Amazon US. They sent a CD only instead of the Blu-ray/CD combo. Even the label on the cellophane wrapper says "5.1 Remix" but there is no 5.1 mix to be found.

Update: Checked the Amazon site to do a return and it looks like some people are getting the Blu-ray and some are getting the CD only. So; you may get lucky!

I could see this issue coming from 3,000 miles away…

This is the CD-only version: http://www.amazon.com/Octopus-Steven-Wilson-5-1-Remix/dp/B014JDO9NC/
This is the CD/Blu-Ray version: http://www.amazon.com/Octopus-Steven-Wilson-Remix-Blu-ray/dp/B014JDO9R8/

Myself and many others said on here that amazon were erroneously listing the CD-only version as having the 5.1 remix included, so if you purchased from the first link, then you got the CD-only version as expected. If however you purchased this release using the second link and you got the CD-only version instead of the Blu-Ray version, then that's a whole different issue.

All of this confusion on amazon (along with the ridiculously high prices) caused me to cancel my preorder through them and go with Burning Shed instead. I have absolutely no doubts that they will send me the CD/Blu-Ray version as ordered.

Yep, I got burned as well. I'll just have to make due in the meantime by listening to XTC and King Crimson ordered through Burning Shed without incident.

Back