2024 SURROUND RELEASES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be premature to add it to the "Rumblings and Brewings" spreadsheet, but @ForagingRhino has hinted more than once that it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the Joni MItchell streaming Atmos mixes to get an eventual physical release. Court and Spark just turned 50, so maybe that would be a place to start...?

Last edited:
It might be premature to add it to the "Rumblings and Brewings" spreadsheet, but @ForagingRhino has hinted more than once that it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the Joni MItchell streaming Atmos mixes to get an eventual physical release. Court and Spark just turned 50, so maybe that would be a place to start...?
It might be good to have links to specific posts of ForagingRhino to help justify it being added to the list without dates.

Okay, a quick search only yielded this post, where FR expresses confidence that Joni Quadios will happen. (Not the only occasion, if memory serves.) I feel like he's dropped other hints that give us reason to hope for a physical release of the Atmos mixes, too, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. I'll keep looking.

[Edit: ... a-a-a-nd ... @haikubass beat me to the punch!]

Last edited:
To pick up where we left off last time, pre-orders for Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense are now live and BD-V/UHDs are going to be released in May.

Two major titles announced - #18 in the SDE series is One Deep River by Mark Knopfler, and the other blu-ray with Atmos mix is the eagerly awaited re-issue of AIR's debut Moon Safari.

And hopefully we can expect Quadio batch #4 sometime during April.

See you next week!

Last edited:
Yikes, that is a pricey release! $53 for standard HD version, $58 for 4K UHD version. Was hoping for something closer to typical concert Blu-ray prices...
Not to mention the extortionate p&p of another $50 to Europe… Rather disappointing. I cannot really imagine that a more affordable option (regular retail release) will not be in the cards as well. After so much hoo-ha and cinema’s showing the movie all over the world, it would not be a very commercial move to NOT make this more widely available.

I was really waiting for this one since I own the normal Blu-ray and been a fan of this film since I saw it at the cinema when it was released the first time. But to be honest this price tag is ridiculous. A24 seem to be known for these prohibitive prices. I won't buy it unless a cheaper alternative becomes available in europe!

Another pretty busy week - Ayreon announced a live blu-ray, and so did RPWL, although it would be a crime if they wouldn't include their last studio album as well.

A leftfield Atmos BD-A is about to be released in Germany, too, by a jazz band Quadro Nuevo.

Finishing off with Atmos downloads; IAA just added Saturday in September by Room 219 Combo and Lauren Diamond's single Good Enough, mixed by Chris Bell.

As always, for more links please check first post of this thread.

Last edited:
According to a March 2024 Stereophile Steven Wilson interview, an atmos mix of the first Cars album may be coming.

Attachments

• steven w stereophile.JPG
    steven w stereophile.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hoping for something decent for oasis's definitely maybe 30th reissue.

Best case we get a brand new Atmos mix and brick wall free stereo mix on sde blu ray.

worst case we get an even more brick walled "remaster".

(Sadly I expect the latter to be much more likely)

Hoping for something decent for oasis's definitely maybe 30th reissue.

Best case we get a brand new Atmos mix and brick wall free stereo mix on sde blu ray.

worst case we get an even more brick walled "remaster".

(Sadly I expect the latter to be much more likely)
It should be noted that heavy amounts of compression were important to Oasis's britpop sound. Owen Morris used it to help emulate Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound" technique. (Note: Don't confuse the "Wall of Sound" technique with the loudness war; they are two very different things.) Of course, the compression placed upon the final mix as a whole can be described as going alongside the loudness war.

All that being said, I'm not sure how well that Wall of Sound sorta aesthetic will translate to surround sound. I guess George Harrison's All Things Must Pass surround sound mix was pretty well-received by this forum, but I considered it rather meh myself.

It should be noted that heavy amounts of compression were important to Oasis's britpop sound. Owen Morris used it to help emulate Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound" technique. (Note: Don't confuse the "Wall of Sound" technique with the loudness war; they are two very different things.) Of course, the compression placed upon the final mix as a whole can be described as going alongside the loudness war.

All that being said, I'm not sure how well that Wall of Sound sorta aesthetic will translate to surround sound. I guess George Harrison's All Things Must Pass surround sound mix was pretty well-received by this forum, but I considered it rather meh myself.
How did you find the 2003 wtsmg 5.1 mix?

How did you find the 2003 wtsmg 5.1 mix?
I made a huge post about that. The 2003 surround sound mix of their second album has a TON of errors on its release. Its timbre basically forgoes the Wall of Sound style in translating it to surround sound, so it's an incredibly interesting listen for that alone. With the errors fixed, I think it's still a rather lame surround sound mix (albeit better than with the errors), and it honestly is more interesting for how it sounds flattened to stereo.

Here is that post, btw: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/fixing-oasiss-morning-glory-in-5-1.33250/

Back