35th Anniv. of CD in US

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I skimmed through, so apologies if this has been covered.

Does anyone else have CD player that has the Indexing functionality? Not track numbers, more like chapter points within a track. I think it was intended for long classical pieces. I never owned a CD that actually had index points built in.

Jean-Michelle Jarre's "Zoolook" is the only one I can think in my collection that I know has indexing. Only my first player (Pioneer's clunky first combo LD/CD unit) could ever take advantage.

Abbey Road was commanding over $200 before its' worldwide release a couple years later. Toshiba/EMI was told to desist and this release was pulled. I didn't want to part with it, since it is my favorite Fab Four album and in my top 10 albums by anyone. It is likely worth something today, though probably worth much less than $200.

Since I don't follow collectable pricing, I have no idea what the going rate is for many titles.

The price depends on the matrix - 1A1 is the first pressing w\o an obi strip & commands the highest price.
There's one on Discogs that looks like a legit 1A1, not from Russia or China, for close to $700.
Whether anyone will pay that is another story.
I never bought the 1987 CD set.
I did a serious A/B when the 2009 CDs came out and the Toshiba sounds at least as good as the remaster, it's really a toss up.

When I saw the Abbey Road at Tower I was convinced that this would be valuable as licensing Beatles stuff has always been touchy & expensive & snagged one right off.
My buddy is a hemmer & hawwer and didn't buy one.
Sure enough when we get back to my place he get's all wound up and has to have it so we went back after having lunch.
Guess what? All the copies were yanked. There weren't that many in the first place.
I don't know how long they had been out for sale but the hammer came down & came down fast.

I bought many of the "little CD's." Arista had paper sleeves, most others were in a slim jewel box. Some of the Arista's were in much longer paper sleeves, like the Dead's Alabama Getaway. I think I still have all those paper sleeves. Most of the slim jewel boxes had the outer ring adaptors.

One day, I was playing the CD single of When We Was Fab by Hari Georgeson https://www.discogs.com/George-Harrison-When-We-Was-Fab/release/910771 in my Alpine 6-CD changer in the trunk. Although I'd done this with many 3" discs, this one slipped out of the ring. So, I had to de-install the changer, take it apart to extract the disc and re-install it. I never played another 3" CD in any changer, only in the single drawer players.

In addition to exchanging LP's for credit toward CD's, I remember paying $14 for early CD imports through my record store pals.

I do recall the long boxes, guess I had a bunch, but I think the first CDs I may have bought were gifts given to my brother of "CD Singles" in 1985? Remember those, with maybe 3 or 4 songs on them?.

I bought many of the "little CD's." Arista had paper sleeves, most others were in a slim jewel box. Some of the Arista's were in much longer paper sleeves, like the Dead's Alabama Getaway. I think I still have all those paper sleeves. Most of the slim jewel boxes had the outer ring adaptors.

One day, I was playing the CD single of When We Was Fab by Hari Georgeson https://www.discogs.com/George-Harrison-When-We-Was-Fab/release/910771 in my Alpine 6-CD changer in the trunk. Although I'd done this with many 3" discs, this one slipped out of the ring. So, I had to de-install the changer, take it apart to extract the disc and re-install it. I never played another 3" CD in any changer, only in the single drawer players.

The CD3 started in late 1987 packaged with adaptors; CD players started appearing with dual indent trays to eliminate the need of adaptors.

At one point I had about 300 of these but sold them off. Built a wooden case for them that my wife uses as a spice rack the past 20 years.

I also made a 3 CD compilation of the 3” CD tracks that I still have:
d21e07daaebbe120b045d9225edab71a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh , yes, the CUTE CD3s were quite a sensation...I still have all of them..

It's curious to see that MOST (almost all) CD/DVD players still have the space in the tray for these!!!

I do recall the long boxes, guess I had a bunch, but I think the first cds I may have bought were gifts given to my brother of "CD Singles" in 1985? Remember those, with maybe 3 or 4 songs on them?.

I have one CD Single which was a companion disc to the Jimi Hendrix CD Radio One by Rykodisc. The CD Single had three tracks, one of which was an alternate take the song Drivin South, and was otherwise unreleased. I still have it, although with the official release of BBC Sessions (two CDs) the extra track is available elsewhere.

As for indexed CDs, the only one I actively accessed by that method is the soundtrack to the movie When The Wind Blows. Roger Waters contributed two songs and a mess of ambient sound to the movie, all of which is included, but all of which appears on the CD under a single track marker. It is indexed, and I used it to go right to a song called Folded Flags, which if you are a Pink Floyd fan is a GREAT post-Pink Floyd Roger Waters song. Perhaps one of his best.

A Hendrix collection without this stuff is horribly incomplete, IMHO.

I have one CD Single which was a companion disc to the Jimi Hendrix CD Radio One by Rykodisc. The CD Single had three tracks, one of which was an alternate take the song Drivin South, and was otherwise unreleased. I still have it, although with the official release of BBC Sessions (two CDs) the extra track is available elsewhere...

I really didn't use it much..I purchased it primarily to make some copies for a woman I was dating..oh...but it was well worth every penny:cool:

Aside from the, ahem, investment value ;), weren't these recorders much slower than PC-based burners?

I still have a ton of CD Singles. Many of them had tracks that were unreleased and very specialized packaging.
I have one version of Oranges and Lemons released in a box that was 3 CD3s.

A Hendrix collection without this stuff is horribly incomplete, IMHO.

Just an aside Linda, that there was a period recently when you were not posting on the board much, and I must say speaking for myself that you were missed! I am glad to see you active again, and I hope you are well!

Bought a few CDs before I bought my first player.
Lucky timing got me the original Toshiba EMI Abbey Road. Got Dark Side at the same time.
$22.99 each at Tower on 5th & Mercer, Seattle. Neither was in a longbox.
At that time the CDs were in the Classical side of the store in a freestanding double-sided rack about 3 feet wide with maybe 3 or 4 rows.

This exact place was my hangout. When I wasn’t working or in the bars/nightclubs. Great memories! I’m sure I bumped into you a few times. :smokin

No malice or abandonment intended. With trips, the holidays, both Joe and I having the flu, and Joe's Dad having been in the hospital, our plates were full.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans. - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Just an aside Linda, that there was a period recently when you were not posting on the board much, and I must say speaking for myself that you were missed! I am glad to see you active again, and I hope you are well!

My first CD was almost certainly Twisted Roots: Turn To Stone (a local band out of Portland, ME). I would have finally found a copy of it around 1997, around the time I was purchasing my
stereo system. Before that all I had was a boombox, and it was cassettes only.

It's funny how some of you mention buying CDs before you were able to play them. That was me with my first SACD. I bought the Dark Side of the Moon SACD when it came out in 2003, but
wasn't able to play for the first time it until 2010 or 2011.

Back