4 more Quadio titles coming in May 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Explain "Sony Japan can still release whatever they'd like at any time, even titles currently on license to third parties "

🤷‍♂️
Sony can release anything (provided the artist’s contract does not forbid) that they own regardless of MFSL or another label pretending that they have an exclusive lock-up on a given title. The owners own the title and do as they please and do not have to ask for permission. That’s what ownership of masters means.

But even Simon admits that he finds “59th Street Bridge Song” to be cringeworthy.

Yea, if you saw that interview he does mention songs he would prefer not to perform firstly, then they discuss songs he would do . Two or 3 caught my attention as they come from quad albums we cherish., and an update on BD or SACD would be so wanted.

Last edited:
Absolutely true. Bridge wasn't even on license to anyone else at the time the 7" hybrid multichannel SACD was announced (and then pulled). Please read:

I have a further question...What is the difference between quadblocking and veteo?...the results are still the same.... at least as far as I can tell.

Now back to the Rhino WEA , guessing on the soon to be hinted at, (clues required from Steve Woolard ) box set of wonderful 50 year old Quad artist music we all want, hopefully.

I have a further question...What is the difference between quadblocking and veteo?...the results are still the same.... at least as far as I can tell.
Again, please, read what I wrote:

"Quadblocking" is a term used here to mean that a licensed stereo/mono reissue by one label has "blocked" that album's quad mix from being released by another, at least until the former's license expires.
This is only a phenomenon that affects third party reissue labels like MoFi and Dutton. First parties like Rhino (Warner) and Sony Japan can still release whatever they'd like at any time, even titles currently on license to third parties.
Versus...

Artists are free to veto any of their work being released on any label, of course, under most circumstances. That's a separate issue.
It can't be any clearer than that. The end result—no quad rerelease—is the same, but the circumstances are quite different. In the case of quadblocking, a future release is still a possibility. In the case of an artist veto, a future release is highly unlikely, until long after the artist's death when the estate is out of the picture.

right back in the DTS days, we know from insider info that's been posted over the years that there were Sony artists they sought licencing for Quad on DTS CD that were at the time "untouchable", namely the likes of Bob Dylan, Barbra Streisand, Billy Joel, Paul Simon.. things change over time of course and as we know, Bob Dylan's music has since been released in Surround by other labels (AF did that 1 track in Quad from "Nashville Skyline" on their Surround Collection disc and there's that fateful 5.1 Live set, of course) and while only one Billy Joel album (the Quad of "Streetlife Serenade" by AF on MultiCh SACD) has actually been licenced since those times of the DTS CD releases, Sony themselves have released a considerable part of Billy Joel's catalogue in Surround, whether its Frank Filipetti's 5.1s on domestic and Japanese 7" SACD, the old Quads streaming in 360 Reality Audio, the "Piano Man" Quad on Japanese 7" SACD or new BJ Atmos mixes, so i would say "never say never"...

however, at this stage there are a number of artists including Streisand and Simon (and Eagles!) which i consider quite unlikely candidates for Quad/Surround reissue, sadly and to pine for them just feels fruitless to me, especially when there's so much new Surround being released now it's become nigh on impossible to keep up with the pace of releases!! 🤯😝🥳

however, at this stage there are a number of artists including Streisand and Simon (and Eagles!) which i consider quite unlikely candidates for Quad/Surround reissue...
Is there a definitive list on the forum of 'popular music' quad vinyl, 8-track and reel-to-reel releases that are yet to be released on silver discs?

Is there a definitive list on the forum of 'popular music' quad vinyl, 8-track and reel-to-reel releases that are yet to be released on silver discs?
not as far as i know but if there was it would be dwindling all the time what with all that DV, Rhino, Sony Japan, SDE, etc., have put out so far! amazing times in the hobby! 🤩🥳

i reckon a decent chunk of what's left that isn't Sony/CBS or Rhino/WEA is probably going to stay unreleased either due to missing tapes (ABC/Command, A&M, Arista), Quadblocked stuff (think that's been discussed ad infinitum!?) or labels/artists who aren't onboard with Quad reissues - yet (Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone, London, Hi Records, Stax) 🤔

right back in the DTS days, we know from insider info that's been posted over the years that there were Sony artists they sought licencing for Quad on DTS CD that were at the time "untouchable", namely the likes of Bob Dylan, Barbra Streisand, Billy Joel, Paul Simon.. things change over time of course and as we know, Bob Dylan's music has since been released in Surround by other labels (AF did that 1 track in Quad from "Nashville Skyline" on their Surround Collection disc and there's that fateful 5.1 Live set, of course) and while only one Billy Joel album (the Quad of "Streetlife Serenade" by AF on MultiCh SACD) has actually been licenced since those times of the DTS CD releases, Sony themselves have released a considerable part of Billy Joel's catalogue in Surround, whether its Frank Filipetti's 5.1s on domestic and Japanese 7" SACD, the old Quads streaming in 360 Reality Audio, the "Piano Man" Quad on Japanese 7" SACD or new BJ Atmos mixes, so i would say "never say never"...

however, at this stage there are a number of artists including Streisand and Simon (and Eagles!) which i consider quite unlikely candidates for Quad/Surround reissue, sadly and to pine for them just feels fruitless to me, especially when there's so much new Surround being released now it's become nigh on impossible to keep up with the pace of releases!! 🤯😝🥳

Hey Frederico , remember back in 2009 , when things looked so bleak. What with Dualdisc almost single handedley killing DVDA . Then in comes a new untested engineer/musician. Which was when Steven Wilson was busy with his first 5.1 job convincing Fripp , that his King Crimson album Lizard would sound great if given the chance. With more Crimson in surround to come.

And it kinda snowballed after that , putting him in demand on the forefront of Surround Music albums !
Thank Buddha and my Druid sacrifices he chose all the prog rock Icons on Atlantic Records.

And now look where we are...in Quad-io , surround, Atmos heaven , at long last.

I'm one hundred per cent with you on the Paul Simon quad albums , Ken

He has 3 quad incredible albums , with his 'Self Titled' Paul Simon , Here Comes Rhymin Simon, and Still Crazy After All These Years.

One must wonder , as he did release a surround DVDA .."Your The One" on WEA.

Does he have an axe to grind ? But with who, his former Producer ? Who knows, all I know is we can't seem to get those albums.

He was on Steven Colbert a short while ago and he mentioned songs he liked and would do....suchas....Me And Julio Down By The SchoolYard,
The Boxer , and a few others.
Very possible Paul wasn't pleased with the DVD-A, and that soured him on surround for any of his releases. When his albums, previously, were released in quad, he might not have been able to prevent it. Columbia controlled the masters, which may be the impetus for him to pull his titles from that label, in favor of Warner Brothers. After he sold his catalog back to Sony, a Japanese SACD of BOTW became much more likely.

not as far as i know but if there was it would be dwindling all the time what with all that DV, Rhino, Sony Japan, SDE, etc., have put out so far! amazing times in the hobby! 🤩🥳

i reckon a decent chunk of what's left that isn't Sony/CBS or Rhino/WEA is probably going to stay unreleased either due to missing tapes (ABC/Command, A&M, Arista), Quadblocked stuff (think that's been discussed ad infinitum!?) or labels/artists who aren't onboard with Quad reissues - yet (Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone, London, Hi Records, Stax) 🤔
I believe Arista is controlled by Sony.

When his albums, previously, were released in quad, he might not have been able to prevent it. Columbia controlled the masters, which may be the impetus for him to pull his titles from that label, in favor of Warner Brothers. After he sold his catalog back to Sony, a Japanese SACD of BOTW became much more likely.

That's kinda what I think happened.

or labels/artists who aren't onboard with Quad reissues - yet (Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone, London, Hi Records, Stax) 🤔

When you think about it....London Records and affiliate labels , such as Hi , Parrot , MAM , Threshold , Deram , sure have a large back catalog of Quad
releases.
And Curtom , is now part of Rhino WEA....re Curtis Mayfield.

...especially when there's so much new Surround being released now it's become nigh on impossible to keep up with the pace of releases!! 🤯😝🥳
Tell me about it. After years of bitching and moaning about how the surround sound community had been written off, I now sometimes feel like the dog who finally caught the car.

🐶 🐶 🐶 🐶

Hey Frederico , remember back in 2009 , when things looked so bleak. What with Dualdisc almost single handedley killing DVDA . Then in comes a new untested engineer/musician. Which was when Steven Wilson was busy with his first 5.1 job convincing Fripp , that his King Crimson album Lizard would sound great if given the chance. With more Crimson in surround to come.

And it kinda snowballed after that , putting him in demand on the forefront of Surround Music albums !
Thank Buddha and my Druid sacrifices he chose all the prog rock Icons on Atlantic Records.

And now look where we are...in Quad-io , surround, Atmos heaven , at long last.

And we should not forget our friend and member Neil Wilkes, who worked with Steven Wilson on those King Crimson DVD-A's and other 5.1 titles out after WB pulled the plug on DVD-As. Not only did Neil author those DVD-A's, he actually got Steven to join QQ and answer our questions, way before today's social media took over most artist interaction with the fans.

Neil authored not only the King Crimson discs, but some Porcupine Tree, No Man, Anathema, Dorothee Mynyaneza, Gavin Harrison & 05Ric, Jakszyk, Fripp, Collins, Katatonia, his own release "The Vicar", and many other surround discs that were released during the 'Black Hole' years of surround music, 2010-2015

Neil and Opus Productions are a very important part of how the surround market stayed active between the end of DVD-A/SACD (the retail end) and the reemergence of Quad and 5.1 by Quadio(WB), Audio Fidelity, Dutton-Vocalion, and today's Atmos material.

And we should not forget our friend and member Neil Wilkes, who worked with Steven Wilson on those King Crimson DVD-A's and other 5.1 titles out after WB pulled the plug on DVD-As. Not only did Neil author those DVD-A's, he actually got Steven to join QQ and answer our questions.

Neil and Opus Productions are a very important part of how the surround market stayed active between the end of DVD-A/SACD (the retail end) and the reemergence of Quad and 5.1 by Quadio(WB), Audio Fidelity, Dutton-Vocalion, and today's Atmos material.
Neil used to be a frequent contributer here. Haven't seen him post in a while. Neil, are you out there?

Back