Deluxe Edition of "Imagine" Coming Soon! (Remixed 5.1 and Remastered Quad audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that out.
Hopefully, it will be a cheaper solution.

It’s a good documentary and I suspect its music’s 5.1 will be on par if not the identical to the box set mixes. Be aware, though, that it isn’t a “video album” (like, say, the John Lennon Legend DVD). That is to say, unless I’ve missed something in the press materials, I wouldn’t expect most songs to be included in full. It’s been awhile since I popped in the DVD of the shorter version, Gimme Some Truth, but I think Imagine is the only full track. Others will know better.

It is a complementary release that offers insight into the recording process but is, in a way, an early and ambitious “EPK” (electronic press kit). I’m glad the powers-that-be broke up the audio and video (and the bigger book] into separate releases since it allows people to stagger their purchases if budget is a factor, but with Sgt. Pepper as the only existing similar “Beatle product” to serve as a model, I’d consider this the equivalent of the documentaries included within that deluxe package.

If money is a barrier to entry (I know it is for me with some other tempting releases as this, White Album and Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks sets are sucking the oxygen out of my “day one” wallet) then the standalone documentary may tide you over and at least give you insight into whether this box is something you may want at some point. Either way, camelcamelcamel.com should be your friend.

For my part, I’m impressed by this box so far. It’s hard and perhaps inadvisable to examine ten tracks over so many discs. Some of these tracks don’t warrant it, per my highly subjective taste, and my cynical side sees it as potentially milking it dry and pouring the shredded carton into my glass, saying, “drink up!” But that’s a small part. This seems incredibly lovingly assembled and creatively designed as a thorough examination of the working process of maybe his most meticulous solo album.

For folks like me who prefer the stark relief of Plastic [emoji50] Band, it’s nice to, uh, imagine, that buried in this release will be full or substantially de-Spectorized final or near-final takes. And if not, that the new 5.1 will offer not just the opportunity to hear the songs and their sometimes lush arrangements with more breathing room — and the opportunity to manually tweak the levels of isolated Spector elements to taste... or even rip the album and create personal stereo mixes. Really, it’s a potential treasure trove. And kudos for their using different personnel for the album proper and the supplementary audio, each tasked with different intent. That some of the unreleased versions themselves are being released in 5.1 is that much more amazing to me.

Here’s hoping the actual product is as engaging to the ears as it is on paper.

Last edited:
Here are the details of the Blu-ray Audio Discs for anyone who has yet to see:

DISC 5:
Imagine (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
2. Crippled Inside (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
3. Jealous Guy (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
4. It’s So Hard (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
5. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
6. Gimme Some Truth (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
7. Oh My Love (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
8. How Do You Sleep? (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
9. How? (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
10. Oh Yoko! (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
11. Power To The People (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
12. Well (Baby Please Don’t Go) (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
13. God Save Us (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
14. Do The Oz (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
15. God Save Oz (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
16. Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (Ultimate Remix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
17. Imagine (Remastered 2018/ Quadrasonic Mix)
18. Crippled Inside (Remastered 2018/ Quadrasonic Mix)
19. Jealous Guy (Remastered 2018/ Quadrasonic Mix)
20. It’s So Hard (Remastered 2018/ Quadrasonic Mix)
21. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (Remastered 2018/ Quadrasonic Mix)
22. Gimme Some Truth (Remastered 2018/ Quadrasonic Mix)
23. Oh My Love (Remastered 2018/ Quadrasonic Mix)
24. How Do You Sleep? (Remastered 2018/ Quadrasonic Mix)
25. How? (Remastered 2018/ Quadrasonic Mix)
26. Oh Yoko! (Remastered 2018/ Quadrasonic Mix)
27. Imagine (Demo/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
28. Imagine (Take 1/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
29. Crippled Inside (Take 3/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
30. Crippled Inside (Take 6/ Alternate Guitar Solo/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
31. Jealous Guy (Take 9/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
32. It’s So Hard (Take 6/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
33. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (Take 11/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
34. Gimme Some Truth (Take 4/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
35. Oh My Love (Take 6/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
36. How Do You Sleep? (Takes 1 & 2/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
37. How? (Take 31/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
38. Oh Yoko! (Live At The Sheraton Hotel Bahamas/ 1969/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
39. Power To The People (Take 7/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
40. God Save Us (Demo/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
41. Do The Oz (Take 3/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
42. Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (Alternate Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)

DISC 6:
Imagine (Take 10/ Raw Studio Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
2. Crippled Inside (Take 6/ Raw Studio Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
3. Jealous Guy (Take 29/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
4. It’s So Hard (Take 11/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
5. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (Take 4/ Extended/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
6. Gimme Some Truth (Take 4/ Extended/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
7. Oh My Love (Take 20/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
8. How Do You Sleep? (Take 11/ Extended/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
9. How? (Take 40/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
10. Oh Yoko! (Take 1/ Extended/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
11. Imagine (Take 1/ Raw Studio Mix)
12. Crippled Inside (Take 2/ Raw Studio Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
13. How? (Take 40/ Alternate Vocal/ Raw Studio Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
14. How? (Take 7-10/ Raw Studio Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
15. How Do You Sleep? (Takes 5 & 6/ Raw Studio Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
16. How Do You Sleep? (Take 1/ Raw Studio Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
17. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (Take 21/ Raw Studio Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
18. Jealous Guy (Take 11/ Raw Studio Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
19. Crippled Inside (Take 6/ Alternate Guitar Solo/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
20. Crippled Inside (Take 2/ Raw Studio Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
21. Imagine (Take 1/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
22. Oh Yoko! (Take 1/ Alternate Vocal/ Raw Studio Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
23. Imagine (Elements Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
24. How? (Elements Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
25. Jealous Guy (Elements Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
26. Oh My Love (Elements Mix/ 5.1 Surround Sound)
27. Imagine (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
28. Crippled Inside (Evolution Documentary/ Mono)
29. Jealous Guy (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
30. It’s So Hard (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
31. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
32. Gimme Some Truth (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
33. Oh My Love (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
34. How Do You Sleep? (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
35. How? (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
36. Oh Yoko! (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
37. Power To The People (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
38. Well (Baby Please Don’t Go) (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
39. God Save Us/Oz (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
40. Do The Oz (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
41. Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
42. Tittenhurst Park (Evolution Documentary/Mono)
43. Imagine John & Yoko (The Elliot Mintz Interviews/ Mono)

To what BotT set are you referring?
A source close to Dylan’s camp (but not Jeff Rosen) has provided the broad outline and release date for the six disc Bootleg Series, Vol. 14. You can find a key post here but it’d be worth searching his other recent posts in that thread. He seems as reliable as the user there who hinted (correctly) about the Imagine set.

I’d go into greater detail but don’t want to derail this thread with a different (and non-surround) release. Suffice it to say, though, for the Dylan fans it’ll make a fine complement to Sony’s 5.1 Blood on the Tracks’ SACD from 2003.

Last edited:
I’ll answer my own question. It looks like I’m still saving money over the US price, plus tax, getting it shipped from the UK. My total came to £60.48 with Priority Shipping.

Ammo US price now $80.74 with an extra .83 savings at checkout.

60.48 GBP = 79.47 USD
Thanks Amazon UK for driving the price down. :smokin

How low can it go?
Gotta love those pre-order price guarantees.

So far, This Was is holding firm @ $49.98, hope to see some movement there before November. :geek:

So just went to see the Imagine film in Atmos...

Wow!!!!

It’s a stellar mix :D

Kinda hard to know how it will transfer down into 5.1 but there is a lot of separation. And the fidelity is absolutely amazing. John’s voice is so crystal clear it was quite emotional at first. :cry:

The bits in between the songs had some crazy surround panning but the songs were more traditional... Vocals at the front etc... Crippled Inside and How Do You Sleep seemed to be very discreet... The one caveat being when they switched to the Gimme Some Truth promo cut of HDYS - it was completely different! Drums at the rear on that! I guess it’s just a different cut as that is a live recording...

Anyway I’m really excited by the upcoming release now and fully confident in how it will sound.

A wee bit too much ‘Art’ for me in the middle but that takes nothing away from the songs...

Can’t wait! :LB

So just went to see the Imagine film in Atmos...

Wow!!!!

It’s a stellar mix :D

Kinda hard to know how it will transfer down into 5.1 but there is a lot of separation. And the fidelity is absolutely amazing. John’s voice is so crystal clear it was quite emotional at first. :cry:

The bits in between the songs had some crazy surround panning but the songs were more traditional... Vocals at the front etc... Crippled Inside and How Do You Sleep seemed to be very discreet... The one caveat being when they switched to the Gimme Some Truth promo cut of HDYS - it was completely different! Drums at the rear on that! I guess it’s just a different cut as that is a live recording...

Anyway I’m really excited by the upcoming release now and fully confident in how it will sound.

A wee bit too much ‘Art’ for me in the middle but that takes nothing away from the songs...

Can’t wait! :LB

Wow, Mr. S., Sounds AB FAB! Eagle Rock is releasing this double BD~V disc which I understand will only be in 5.1: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Imagine-and-Gimme-Some-Truth-Blu-ray/213427/

Funny how Sgt. Pepper and now Imagine are being commercially released to theaters in Dolby Atmos [not 5.1] which leads me to believe there will be future DOLBY ATMOS releases at some juncture in time.

At least you won't go to bed hungry tonight!

Wow, Mr. S., Sounds AB FAB! Eagle Rock is releasing this double BD~V disc which I understand will only be in 5.1: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Imagine-and-Gimme-Some-Truth-Blu-ray/213427/

Funny how Sgt. Pepper and now Imagine are being commercially released to theaters in Dolby Atmos [not 5.1] which leads me to believe there will be future DOLBY ATMOS releases at some juncture in time.

Yeah I doubt they'll sound like R.E.M. or Kraftwerk though? I did notice the overheads for the birds chirping leading up to Imagine but hard to distinguish during the actual songs...

There was one annoying bit where Yoko keeps coming through a door with different peeps (one being George Harrison) which wasn't actually in surround. I was thinking get a bloody move on!

At least you won't go to bed hungry tonight!

Especially as I had a Jamie's Italian pepperoni pizza before and a Ben & Jerry's double scoop during! :p

Hopefully no weird dreams of Yoko seducing me with chess pieces?!

Yeah I doubt they'll sound like R.E.M. or Kraftwerk though? I did notice the overheads for the birds chirping leading up to Imagine but hard to distinguish during the actual songs...

There was one annoying bit where Yoko keeps coming through a door with different peeps (one being George Harrison) which wasn't actually in surround. I was thinking get a bloody move on!

Especially as I had a Jamie's Italian pepperoni pizza before and a Ben & Jerry's double scoop during! :p

Hopefully no weird dreams of Yoko seducing me with chess pieces?!

Mr. Smithers, methinks Yoko's seduction days:love: are behind her. Jamie's Italian pepperoni pizza and Ben and Jerry's? Glad to hear you're treating yourself well. What you might have at beddy bye time is a massive case of heartburn!o_O

Are you going to buy the films on BD~V?

Mr. Smithers, methinks Yoko's seduction days:love: are behind her. Jamie's Italian pepperoni pizza and Ben and Jerry's? Glad to hear you're treating yourself well. What you might have at beddy bye time is a massive case of heartburn!o_O

The phrases Yoko and behind her....make me shiver. Honestly...

I probably will at some point, maybe not straight away. It is a good way to hear the songs though and they do play them in their entirety. They only showed a little bit of the Gimme Some Truth film but that sounded really good. There was also a brief snippet of Power To The People and I think that's going to be amazing and a real highlight.

Oh and as Columbo would say, just one more thing... Quite perplexed how the quad could have ended up so bad hearing the different tracks mixed for this? Maybe the new transfer will be able to reveal a completely different dimension on the quad? Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks...

It's 5 minutes of that! Like someone coming in and hoovering when you're in the middle of listening to an album! Respect to Fred though... :cool:

Fred should've spun Yoko around, Ginger Rogers/Cyd Charisse~style....done a double dip thus ensuring the clip was more Busby Berkeley sensationalistic. A missed opportunity!

Ammo US price now $80.74 with an extra .83 savings at checkout.

60.48 GBP = 79.47 USD
Thanks Amazon UK for driving the price down. :smokin

How low can it go?
Gotta love those pre-order price guarantees.

So far, This Was is holding firm @ $49.98, hope to see some movement there before November. :geek:

It's interesting the way Amazon determines the "extra savings"...it was .83 for you and I'm guessing you don't pay tax on your amazon purchases....for me in Florida I get taxed...which would be $5.28 if I purchased this one...and the "extra savings" is $5.27...just about the exact amount of the tax:rolleyes:

Back