Deluxe Edition of "Imagine" Coming Soon! (Remixed 5.1 and Remastered Quad audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This statement regarding the original quad mix also makes no sense to me:

"The music is heard in moderately discrete form, often appearing equally from all four channels."

Huhhh???

I have a transfer of the original Q8. It sounds just like sjcorne described it.

I actually don't find the review all that confusing or unclear. He says the quad mix is "moderately" immersive precisely because things are often distributed "equally" across "all four channels." As he explains in the following paragraph: "Lennon's vocals appear all around you at times"--just as @sjcorne pointed out. Nevertheless, "at [other] times" there is "more discrete instrumentation from each of the four speakers." For instance: drums "sometimes...emerge from the rear / side of the room." Sure, he uses discrete almost interchangeably with immersive, but I get it: on balance, the quad mix is moderately immersive, moderately discrete--as opposed to the 5.1 mix, which he characterizes as only "gently" immersive (for reasons that are best illustrated by his description of "Oh My Love" and "How," which use the rears sparingly). That, he thinks, will appeal to those who, unlike him, don't care for aggressively discrete information in the rears.

I also don't hear him prizing surround mixes that sound like a live concert performance--quite the contrary. What he loves about the "Raw Studio" mixes is that they capture how the music was recorded live in the studio, just as Rob Stevens explained in that NPR story I posted about earlier: "Our approach, meaning Yoko and myself, was to make the listening experience as if one had the exceptional privilege of sitting in the middle of the studio with the players...around them...without any of the effects or sweetening (strings, chamber echo, tape slap, etc.) that were subsequently added."

I'm not a big Lennon fan, but I gotta say that this review only increased my interest in hearing this set!

Last edited:
Just a few points...actually compared to other "reviews" I have seen recently...I've seen worse...of course I wasn't giving out demerits for the excessive use of "Immersive"..but just a word of caution...if you are going to penalize this writer for such transgressions...it would be wise for you to set the example by proofreading your post to minimize the errors...fair is fair...I'm sure you intended to use word...not work in your crucial observation...one more item of note...I hate to disappoint you but I still use that pesky "aggressive" word in regards to surround mixes...it's meant to be descriptive of the path taken by the mixer...of course the real test of this article will come when others get to hear the reviewed material for themselves to see if the points were accurate...
Naw, typing a quick post on a cell phone out in the field vs writing an in-depth Box Set review are two totally different things in my mind, perhaps not your's.

And yeah, aggressive has thankfully faded way way back in use (especially around here) as a description of a mix. It's vague and could mean several things.

I actually don't find the review all that confusing or unclear. He says the quad mix is "moderately" immersive precisely because things are often distributed "equally" across "all four channels." (As he explains in the following paragraph: "Lennon's vocals appear all around you at times"--just as @sjcorne pointed out. Nevertheless, "at times" there is "more discrete instrumentation from each of the four speakers." For instance: drums "sometimes...emerge from the rear / side of the room." Sure, he uses discrete almost interchangeably with immersive, but I get it: on balance, the quad mix is moderately immersive, moderately discrete--as opposed to the 5.1 mix, which he characterizes as only "gently" immersive (for reasons that are best illustrated by his description of "Oh My Love" and "How," which use the rears sparingly). That, he thinks, will appeal to those who, unlike him, don't care for aggressively discrete information in the rears.

I also don't hear him prizing surround mixes that sound like a live concert performance--quite the contrary. What he loves about the "Raw Studio" mixes is that they capture how the music was recorded live in the studio, just as Rob Stevens explained in that NPR story I posted about earlier: "Our approach, meaning Yoko and myself, was to make the listening experience as if one had the exceptional privilege of sitting in the middle of the studio with the players...around them (the 5.1 surrounds)...without any of the effects or sweetening (strings, chamber echo, tape slap, etc.) that were subsequently added."

I'm not a big Lennon fan, but I gotta say that this review only increased my interest in hearing this set!

I have to admit that I don't see many "surround" reviews these days...we are usually lucky if they even mention the surround portion of an upcoming box set...

I read that review this morning.
Jeez, the complaining already starts about just a review.

Like Clint said, who else reviews surround in this detail? Hmm?
I think this release has some really outstanding promise.

The only bummer about ordering from Japan is that the release is Oct 12th, not the 5th

Last edited:
Just been notified that Import CD's has shipped my copy.

My Bullmoose order shows "packaged"! You can be sure if that thing lands Friday or Saturday, there will be observations and wav forms coming from QQHQ. Looking forward to hearing from all of you who went for it. I have to honestly say that while when it came out I really liked this album, like most stuff from that era, I got burned out on it and haven't listened to this album in over 30 years, maybe more. So, this will be fun! :)

Just been notified that Import CD's has shipped my copy.
Wow, awesome! I fully expect Amazon to ship mine tomorrow (most likely from Kentucky......lots if not most of these sorts of things come from there) and arrive on my porch Friday. Whoop......well, there is a big chance of rain Friday.....Imagine that. lmao

I actually don't find the review all that confusing or unclear. He says the quad mix is "moderately" immersive precisely because things are often distributed "equally" across "all four channels." As he explains in the following paragraph: "Lennon's vocals appear all around you at times"--just as @sjcorne pointed out. Nevertheless, "at [other] times" there is "more discrete instrumentation from each of the four speakers." For instance: drums "sometimes...emerge from the rear / side of the room." Sure, he uses discrete almost interchangeably with immersive, but I get it: on balance, the quad mix is moderately immersive, moderately discrete--as opposed to the 5.1 mix, which he characterizes as only "gently" immersive (for reasons that are best illustrated by his description of "Oh My Love" and "How," which use the rears sparingly). That, he thinks, will appeal to those who, unlike him, don't care for aggressively discrete information in the rears.

I also don't hear him prizing surround mixes that sound like a live concert performance--quite the contrary. What he loves about the "Raw Studio" mixes is that they capture how the music was recorded live in the studio, just as Rob Stevens explained in that NPR story I posted about earlier: "Our approach, meaning Yoko and myself, was to make the listening experience as if one had the exceptional privilege of sitting in the middle of the studio with the players...around them...without any of the effects or sweetening (strings, chamber echo, tape slap, etc.) that were subsequently added."

After reading your review of another review, I canceled my Amazon UK order. Thanks.

Mine just shipped from Amazon UK too and in a first, it has tracking! Yes I selected the cheapest £3.08 option which usually is just generic mail with no tracking, so I'm surprised to see this will track. Says will deliver to Buffalo, NY, by October 10th. Sweet!!

Mine hasn't shipped from Amazon UK as yet and the delivery date has changed from tomorrow to Tuesday??? Looks like a another Prime extension beckons then, idiots!

Mine just shipped from Amazon UK too and in a first, it has tracking! Yes I selected the cheapest £3.08 option which usually is just generic mail with no tracking, so I'm surprised to see this will track. Says will deliver to Buffalo, NY, by October 10th. Sweet!!

I wouldn't get too excited about the tracking you get from amazon UK...at least for those of us in the US...it doesn't really track much at all..and that October date you were given is just an estimate...

Back